Gravity Gun Confusion

Mosca

Reaction score
I've played HL 2 on my PC (Windows XL) all the way through a few years ago and am now replaying. I'm in Anti Citizen One in the Plaza fight where Alyx tries to lower the shields and expose the energy core.

I'm really confused by the Gravity Gun, which I got legit (no cheats). It seems that I remember that the first time I played HL 2, that I was able to pick up and throw items (such as Combine Soldiers) that I am not able to this second time around.

(Warning--minor spoiler)
This seems critical during the Plaza fight since once Alxy gets the energy core exposed, it seems that I am supposed to grab the energy ball; but the energy gun seems unable to grab the energy ball.

I seem to remember easily grabbing both energy balls and combine soldiers a few years ago playing HL2. Am I forgetting something? Or is there a game setting I should adjust?

I'm confused.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The regular gravity gun does not have the umph to grab energy balls. Use left-click (primary fire) to shoot the energy ball with a pulse, thus dislodging it. You can only pick up soldiers and energy balls with the super-charged (blue) gravity gun.

The gun can only pick up soldiers once it's supercharged int the Citadel, and you're supposed to left click that orb, to knock it loose from the generator.

You can only grab enemies when the gravity gun is super charged (turns blue). This only happens at the last part of the game.

You should be able to grab energy balls with the normal gravity gun. You need to be at close range, the gravity gun's pull will not bring far away energy balls toward you.

Edit: Well shit, 3 posts in a single minute.

You should be able to grab energy balls with the normal gravity gun. You need to be at close range, the gravity gun's pull will not bring far away energy balls toward you.
Except with the energy balls that are used as powercells - those you can only blast out, not grab.

Thank you to all you folks!

I'm now past the Plaza.

Since I'd also played the few expansion episodes some time back, my memory is clouded.

But thanks again to all!

Back