Gravity...

tCh

Reaction score
It would be cool if we could control the direction that gravity pulls us in HL2

so we can walk on walls and then change the gravity so we walk on ground.....right?

No. You have as a mapper, control over some aspecs of gravity. But I have yet to hear of anything beyond the kind of control we already have with gravity in HL1. I doubt HL2 supports turning your FOV around properly as you start walking sideways because of gravity being turned 90 degrees. Let alone support walking sideways even..

What we have heard is that there is still control over the amount of gravity within a map. And that there is console commands as usual that can change how much weight the manipulator can lift.

If HL2 has dynamic gravity, then would it still be just another next gen game?

Adam, the FOV can be turned upside down if you're in the buggy and get knocked over, FYI

Originally posted by tCh
If HL2 has dynamic gravity, then would it still be just another next gen game?

Well, you've been able to control the force of gravity since HL1, but if you're talking the direction of gravity, that's just stupid and pointless. Unless you're talking space-sim.

i mean if it was multiplayer, one person could walk on the walls while another was on the ground or ceiling

There was a walk-on-walls mod back for the original Jedi Knight, although it was funky, it works alot better in third person shooters

You're talking about stickey shoes, not anti-gravity. The aliens in AvP had that too. It doesn't have anything to do with manipulation of gravity.

What if each wall had their own direction of gravity

Edit: or if each player can choose their own direction and streghth of gravity

Well, that could still be done with a sticky shoe mod. If you're asking which direction you would fall in if you were suddenly thrust in the middle of nowhere, the maps probably have a force and direction of gravity paramter built in.

I highly doubt every player would be able to determine their own force and direction of gravity. Multiplayer maps are still run off a localized server which determines these map parameters. You could definitely make a mod that simulates individualized gravity, but I can't see any application.

Dynamic gravity, if it isn't there already, could probably be implemented by a modder. In Quake 3 the TR_GRAVITY trajectory type moves a projectile forward in the direction it was fired, and every time the think function is called for the projectile a certain amount (multiplied by the time since the projectile was fired) is subtracted from the projectile movement vector's z component (which would model how the object accelerates down). The vector representing acceleration from gravity in this case is (0, 0, -0.2) or something like that (because the think function is called every 20 milliseconds, g = 9.810 m/s^2 so g ~~ 0.20 m/20ms^2). If you wanted your gravity to go in the direction represented by vector Z then every time the think function is called simply subtract Z multiplied by the time since the projectile was fired from the movement vector of the projectile, which would make it arc according to the gravity.

Originally posted by Nith Sahor
Dynamic gravity, if it isn't there already, could probably be implemented by a modder. In Quake 3 the TR_GRAVITY trajectory type moves a projectile forward in the direction it was fired, and every time the think function is called for the projectile a certain amount (multiplied by the time since the projectile was fired) is subtracted from the projectile movement vector's z component (which would model how the object accelerates down). The vector representing acceleration from gravity in this case is (0, 0, -0.2) or something like that (because the think function is called every 20 milliseconds, g = 9.810 m/s^2 so g ~~ 0.20 m/20ms^2). If you wanted your gravity to go in the direction represented by vector Z then every time the think function is called simply subtract Z multiplied by the time since the projectile was fired from the movement vector of the projectile, which would make it arc according to the gravity.

in english plz

He's just saying the gravity can be set to dynamically effect the trajectory of objects since back in the day.

If it's not in HL2 when it first comes out, I'm 99% positive that it could be very easily moddable. But, I'm not a Modder, so what do I know? o_O

Originally posted by Shuzer
Adam, the FOV can be turned upside down if you're in the buggy and get knocked over, FYI

FYI: Info obtained from an illegal beta is of no concern to me, and is subject to change in the near future.

Actually, I've always just assumed it's that way, not to mention Gabe even said it'd be that way (somewhere in the VALVe info thread)

Don't jump down my throat, admittedly I have the stolen build, but it's been stated elsewhere that you can be flipped in the buggy

Originally posted by Nith Sahor

That kind of vector would work in the simplest of cases, but in real application you would need the think function to take into consideration the current location of the projectile. If the projectile is fired from upside down gravity, into normal gravity, your formula would not work. Especialy considering the aspect that if 2 opposing forces of gravity are near each other, they will overlap.

You would have to add a function that takes the amount of force from both gravitys and find which one is stronger for the current location of the projectile. The function could return the proper vector (max_x, max_y, max_z) since all aspects of the vector need to be taken into account since multiple gravitys will be at 90 degree angles too. The Z axis in the vector alone can't compensate for that.

Originally posted by iamironsam
...You could definitely make a mod that simulates individualized gravity, but I can't see any application.
Then you lack vision.

I sent gabe a couple emails asking about this quite a while ago. Someone got a small answer regarding this. I believe he said it could be modded... his response is in the official info thread I believe...

This sounds like an incredibly cool idea to me. I've thought of dozens of different level and mod-ettes that would be really fun with a highly versatile gravity system. Ever since I played Serious Sam: SE, which had gravity match the contour of the floor, change direction over a dropoff, and be applied to the inside surface of a cylinder. There could be some very cool single and multi player funness to being able to have many gravity forces, if done properly....

I don't see why some of you scoff this idea because it's new-ish. Half-life broke new ground, half-life2 will doubtless break new ground, why not consider gravity and it's manipulation be another level of this, for the purpose of new and innovating gameplay?? I look forward to the possibilities.

-Phision

It would be good for a marble maddess type of HL2 mod I guess.

Actually, it does sound pretty cool. I'm only just getting into hl modding (learning from hl1 sdk atm) so I'm not sure how it would work.

I'm guessing each player would have a localised coordinate system (rotated to be parallel to the direction of gravity) and that the players rotation and movement would match up. I guess it would be similar to how the player's rotation is done with the buggy (haven't looked at the source incase anyones wondering).

What would be really cool (taking this a step further) is to associate gravity with objects in the level. For instance, each wall is a plane that exerts a certain amount of gravity, causing all physical objects (close enough) to stick to it. You can also do this for round objects so they act like miny planets. This has been done before in a small demo I once played. It had a moon and a landscape. If you jumped high enough you could escape the force of the worlds' gravity and land on the moon (and walk around on the surface). If you ran fast enough you would start orbiting the moon :D

If someone else doesn't I'm gonna mod this.

Originally posted by Phisionary
I don't see why some of you scoff this idea because it's new-ish. Half-life broke new ground, half-life2 will doubtless break new ground, why not consider gravity and it's manipulation be another level of this, for the purpose of new and innovating gameplay?? I look forward to the possibilities.

nicely said

thank you tCh. :)

I like the idea of different objects flying about, but affected by there own gravity forces. some rocks, and crates, and barrels fly up when you manip-em about, others just crash back down..

For the most part you'd need enclosed levels , of course, or this would be kind of odd. I don't like levels where you're constantly falling offf things.....

Ah.... I found the pic which got me interested in this idea originally. An escher bit. just imagine all those faceless manequins had a uzi and a grenade (or whatever)...

Relatividad.jpg

(Edit): I'm sorry iamironsam, but frankly I thought you were being kind of a dick about it first. You pointed out on multiple occasions that you didn't see any point to this thread-starters idea, and I think that you must not have tried very hard.

I don't mean to flame here either, I'm saying that this thread started with a fairly valid concept and there is no point in any of us making baseless criticisms only because we aren't capable of forseeing what could turn out to be very cool.

This oppressive attitude is all too common. It's one reason I rarely visit the forums anymore.
[/rant] ;)

-Phision

other alter-gravity ideas: a 32/64 player ctf/other team game on this mce creation...
Planetoide_doble.jpg

and a racing level on a mobius strip (maybe not in hl2, but it's a whimsical little idea that i've had floating around...)

Edit: oh, heres another similar bit. also looks cool for a bunch of players. i imagine launching a rocket into orbit for a minute or so... eventually, it'll land, and maybe it'll hit some one... :devil:

Planetoide_tetraedrico.jpg

-Phision

dose anyone know if the gravity actually obey's the laws of physics (ie. acceleration of 9.81 m/s square, etc..)?

You guys are total geeks, but its awesome!!

HL isn't based on realism, so they might just make up their own gravity rules.

I'm sure I've seen localised gravity somewhere:

The gravity vortex gun in ChaosUT2. Fabulous.

Originally posted by Yodareturn
serious sam 2 can do it..... why couldn't half life 2??

SS games are a blast. Highly recommended for mindless arcade-paced destruction. I just don't know if it'd be something that would FIT in HL.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Third Encounter?!

i got really bored of SS 2... like really quickly. it was kinda sad. oh well tho.. beautiful graphics and can be fun for about an hour

although i got bored of it a lot slower then i did Postal 2... the worst game ever

They're currently working on SS2. (Which isn't out yet - you played SS:SE not SS2.)

Yea, SS did the gravity thing, and it was very cool to, but I dont think that would fit in normal HL2, probobly in a mod. In SSSE you could have like a rotating tube and people could walk free inside of it while it was rotating and stuff, also you could throw a grenade from one wall to another, like say, I was to throw a ball from here up to the moon and it would stay there, for someone to throw back.

a populous type mini planet would be cool. like say 500m diameter planet that u play on

Originally posted by Adam
That kind of vector would work in the simplest of cases, but in real application you would need the think function to take into consideration the current location of the projectile. If the projectile is fired from upside down gravity, into normal gravity, your formula would not work. Especialy considering the aspect that if 2 opposing forces of gravity are near each other, they will overlap.

You would have to add a function that takes the amount of force from both gravitys and find which one is stronger for the current location of the projectile. The function could return the proper vector (max_x, max_y, max_z) since all aspects of the vector need to be taken into account since multiple gravitys will be at 90 degree angles too. The Z axis in the vector alone can't compensate for that.

Ah well yes, if there are objects that exert significant gravity and you want to show that then you will have to find the resultant force of the two gravities and that would be the gravity vector.

You can change your FOV in HL1.

Play NS, be an alien, walk on the wall, observe.

Back