Greatest Storytelling in games.

Probably the first real gripping moment for me in video game storytelling would be Final Fantasy III for SNES when it first came out. The moment Celes tried to commit suicide after being stranded on that little island all alone for years after the armageddon . I know it would be a heavily cliched game by today's standards, but still, it was great back in the day when we had nothing else. I'd have to agree with most other suggestions too like Deus Ex and Beyond Good and Evil. (God I wish Ubisoft would make a sequel to that wonderful game).

Wait... did I mention PSYCHONAUTS yet?

I can't remember.

Marathon; no question about it. Shame Bungie went downhill since then.

Really? I found that storyline very difficult to follow, since you needed to read all the terminals to find out what was going on...

Really? I found that storyline very difficult to follow, since you needed to read all the terminals to find out what was going on...

That's only for the last game, which was downright confusing. Before that it was simple: AIs tell you to do this and that to repel the invaders, hint or two about past event, hidden messages, secret terminals, etcetera.

Good Story:
FFVI
FFX
Max Payne
Portal?
Psychonauts
KOTOR (!)
Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines

Good Storytelling:
FEAR
FFVI (!)
God of War I/II
Half-life I/II/Eps
The Longest Journey (!)
Max Payne
Portal (!)
Psychonauts (!)

I really need to play Deus Ex and System Shock.
edit: and Planescape.

Back