Grrrr im allready starting to hate HL2!!!!

V

VonFIDDE

I really dont like this idea they selling 4 differant versions of HL2.. sounds insane. I really dont like this new sell-tactic. Its not like 2.5mbit is free each month, to hell with pay to play. They think that 10bux each month is cheap but then also remeber the cablecosts and stuff like that, well if your only friend is the computer then this seems like logical cost. But for the rest of us, comeon valve/sierra whaterever "GET REAL".
I also guess DOD 2 and CS 2 wont be free as in the olddays, i hope they valve/sierra wont get there claws on more moddingteams!!! Modding should be free thats on of the key elements in the moddingworld ;) Also that its made out of gamers "real gamers" ;).
Sure HL2 looks great and everything but i dont like tha new valve/sierra thinking. Valve made HL a game many loved, well not me cuz that freaking alienworld sucked. Then all the extra money and stuff they got was thanks to modders!!!

P.s "FREE TIBET!!!!!"

if that made sense or i was awake id understand that

I also hate how they're will be different versions.

But most of all, I hate steam.

Oh, and I think you got caught up in all the rumours(pay to play). But meh.

You know, it will cost $50 in the shops and so it will take 5 months before the subscrition becomes more expensive than buying the game outtright.

It's only pay to play in the sense you have to pay to get a game.

If you buy the game in the shops you won't have to pay the subscription.

If you pay the subscription, you won't have to buy the game in the shops.

EDIT: AND who the hell has mentioned DoD2 or CS2. Nobody has said you'd have to pay something for them. Don't make stuff up in your head and get angry at Valve for it.

I hate steam more than any program I've ever used and I think valves new pricing is just gay :flame:

Here is my thoughts...

1. Retail Sucks - Greedy middlemen!
2. Steam Sucks - Greedy monthly fees!
3. Half Life 2 Rocks and makes millions for both!!!

Either way they will get our money because Half Life2 will be the best game ever.

It sounds to me like you are complaining that you have to pay for the game.

You can buy the game without the monthly fees on Steam, you know, as a one off payment.

I'm going to buy the retail version of HL2, (with ML+ Mods, obviously) but I don't see why people are angry at Steam...

In addition to this, I think the fact that Valve is selling multiple types of HL2 is a good idea. Some people may not have fast internet connections, so Multiplayer or online mods would be out of the question for them, so it makes sense to sell a cheaper version without features those people would never use...

EDIT: In short, i agree with Feath.

Originally posted by Feath
It sounds to me like you are complaining that you have to pay for the game.

You can buy the game without the monthly fees on Steam, you know, as a one off payment.

Couldn't have said it better. I don't understand what's upsetting you litlle brats.

Even if you don't have a good internet connection you would still like to play the single player mods, by either downloading them (overnight etc) or by getting them on coverdiscs of mags and stuff. It's fecking stupid to make an exclusively unmoddable vesion and one that can play mods, what do they do, alter one line of code and charge an extra 20$!!!:flame:

It's going to confuse alot of people for a start -- is it actually fact that there will be a no MP/mod version?

As for steam. I mainly just hate how I have to run it just to play the game. I was going to a small lan that did not have net access. I used steam to get the latest CS 1.6 build, thinking that it will be fun to play it at the lan. Get to the lan and find out that steam won't even start because it needs a net connection. Now, there's probably a way to get around that but at the time I didn't know of it(and still don't) and let me tell you, did it piss me off.

Originally posted by Animal
Even if you don't have a good internet connection you would still like to play the single player mods, by either downloading them (overnight etc) or by getting them on coverdiscs of mags and stuff. It's fecking stupid to make an exclusively unmoddable vesion and one that can play mods, what do they do, alter one line of code and charge an extra 20$!!!:flame:

what's wrong with selling a "smaller" version which can't play mods for less money? programs are already sold this way (vc++ enterprise, professional, book edition..or windooze xp for example and no one is complaining) and if you want to play mods than you simply pay a price as high as it usually is for games. in addition to that..the ability to play mods should be worth the 20 bucks, especially if hl2 gets as populart and many mods like hl1.

also if you don't like steam..don't use it but stop complaining that it'll cost money. u don't donate money to them, so they can live, do you? no one of you brought valid arguments against steam (except for the money thing..but no one forces you to buy hl2 off steam)

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY MORE FOR THE EXTRA VERSIONS. Buy the normal one and you get everything you thought you were going to get before anyone mentioned the packages. If you don't want multiplayer then buy the smaller version which has everything you need and will be cheaper than you thought. All the announcements regarding this will save people money, if an option is more expensive for you then just don't do it, simple. Now stop filling the forum with unfounded complaints about people who are trying to give you what appears to be a fantastic game for less than you previously thought.

I still don't get what all the fuss is about, I expected and preordered a game with singleplayer, multiplayer and moddability, and that's exactly what I'm getting. Whenever valve releases another game that interests me, I'll go over and buy it, just like I've always done.

BTW, TF2 was planned as a separte product before Half-Life was even released, and I can't imagine why anyone would think it was supposed to de a mod.

Dude, take your ****ing medicines.
Valve is one of the few who even give you the chance to choose, if you don't like the Steam option, buy the regular one.

Originally posted by Animal

Or alter one line of code and charge $20 less!!! We don't know the pricing structure yet. My uneducated guess is that the mp+mod version will be in the $50-60 range (about what people expected to pay for those features when it would've been the only version) and then $20 less for the sp only version. Seems like a pretty reasonable idea to me!

The interesting thing that the subscription brings up is that they'll have to release a new title (tf2 or cs2 anyone?) within 5 months (or whenever the subscription price gets more expensive than the retail price) or else everyone will start going nuts about getting ripped off. Maybe Valve has some aces up their sleeves...

One more thought on pricing...if it will be possible to subscribe to HL2 for 1 month, play the whole sp game that way and then cancel the subscription, then maybe the sp only version will be even cheaper to counter this idea. Or, more likely, there will be a minimum length of time that you need to have a subscription for. Maybe 3 months or so.

Oh well, those are just my thoughts on the new info. I'm rather indifferent to the whole thing as it looks like they've preserved the traditional way we buy games and I probably won't be going the subscription route. Once pricing info comes out we'll have a lot more to work with and as long as the price is reaonable, I plan on getting the special edition version.

And I'm spent...

How can you possibly get mad at them for offering more choices in ADDITION to what you already expected?

People are getting way too worked up about the subscription thing. Gabe said that it would be the best value of any option, and if it includes extra content, I'm inclined to believe it. Most people don't realize that 9.95 a month is far cheaper than it seems when compared to a big upfront cost (due to the time value of money).

Ok, I may not be entirely up with the debate but for God's sake it's not as if the versions will be THAT different is it? I mean to say, if you buy it normally (ie: in a shop) you get the whole thing. There is the option to buy and download the whole thing through steam. There is the option to rent it, so to speak for a monthly fee which doesn't come with mp. And another one I guess, although I'm not sure what it is... Surely not mp-only? Please excuse me if I have the wrong end of the stick.
Here's my point: It's not as if the different versions will have anything special about them... They're simply different permutations of the same product. It's not like one has extra levels that other versions don't but is also missing certain levels that other versions do have. So what the hell's the problem?
It's not like when a band release 2 CDs of the same single with different B-sides (but yes this depends on the band and the quality of their B-sides)

el Chi, The Steam version will be the traditional version you get in the shops (Single + Multiplayer).

Okay, everyone expected to get Single+Multiplayer in the game when you bought it in the shop. You can still get that.

Everyone expected to be able to buy Half Life 2 off Steam with a one off payment. You can still get that.

Like Apos said, they haven't taken anything away, they've added buying options.

As long as the different versions are clearly marked and explain exactly what comes in the box, there shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by Apos
People are getting way too worked up about the subscription thing. Gabe said that it would be the best value of any option, and if it includes extra content, I'm inclined to believe it.
So is this to say that people who pay more upfront for the retail version will then be expect to pay additional fees for the extra content, or does the retail version come with access to extras?

Man, Valve's tradition of obscure answers to direct questions is really making it hard to figure out exactly what they have planned.

"So is this to say that people who pay more upfront for the retail version will then be expect to pay additional fees for the extra content, or does the retail version come with access to extras?"

The retail version comes with steam built into the back end and when you buy it you get a steam account. That will give you access to the same updates and fixes that you would get had you paid online for the game through steam.

EDIT: Hmm, I have no clue what happened, but somehow half of my post got double posted...very odd.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
So is this to say that people who pay more upfront for the retail version will then be expect to pay additional fees for the extra content, or does the retail version come with access to extras?

Man, Valve's tradition of obscure answers to direct questions is really making it hard to figure out exactly what they have planned.

The extras he's talking about are things like tf2 and cs2 or single player games like op4 or blueshift which will be released as a seperate retail box. So now, instead of having to buy each box seperately, you can just subscribe and get them all as they come out and be able to keep playing them as long as you keep subscribing. I don't play the mods a ton so this wouldn't be a great deal for me, but it's cool that the option is out there. That said, patches for the game will still be available to anyone who purchased the retail box. Smaller updates like higher quality textures and new multiplayer add-ons (promotional things, usually released for free download in other games) are a bit more questionable, but I'm guessing that they will continue to be free to purchasers of the retail version (the mp+mod flavor).

As for the obscure answers, I don't see how you can possibly think that Gabe's response was obscure, he said exactly what they're planning on doing and went into a fair amount of detail about it. I'm sure that nobody expected that level of detail to come back in answer to that question. The only thing he didn't say was the pricing structure for the retail boxes and I'm sure that will all come out in due time.

i'm only frustrated because i think it'll be too easy for valve to charge for things. new patch comes out, bam, 10 bucks there. new map, bam, five bucks there. wanna use voice comm? bam, 15 bucks there. etc, etc... they can charge for anything.

Originally posted by rootbin
i'm only frustrated because i think it'll be too easy for valve to charge for things. new patch comes out, bam, 10 bucks there. new map, bam, five bucks there. wanna use voice comm? bam, 15 bucks there. etc, etc... they can charge for anything.

Eh? What makes you think they won't simply make patches available through the normal channels? And Valve aren't some evil corporation, they aren't going to charge you for patches or user-created content...

Originally posted by 3rd Impact
Eh? What makes you think they won't simply make patches available through the normal channels? And Valve aren't some evil corporation, they aren't going to charge you for patches or user-created content...

That's true, but they'll also want to make it worth-while to their subscribers. And how do you do this? With exclusive content that's not free to other people. I hope this isn't the case and that the only thing that is an added cost to purchasers of the retail version is the retail released add-ons, but I'm having trouble seeing Valve putting out enough games to make subscriptions viable. I mean, think about it, at $20 to $50 per retail add-on, that means they'll have to release a new game every 2-5 months just to make the subscription the same price as buying each game at retail (and Gabe said the subscription would be a better deal). That's a bunch.

At this point I'm planning on buying the collector's edition in retail until we know more.

EDIT: in direct response though, I agree, patches and user-created content should still be free (although steam does allow modders to charge for their mods). Ooh, there's an idea, maybe a subscription allows you to forgo the rates charged by a mod team. Valve could pay the mod team out of the subscription fee based on how often the mod gets played. Interesting...

I aint buying anything until I know exactly what comes with the package.

Originally posted by mortiz
I aint buying anything until I know exactly what comes with the package.
probably a CD containing a game

Yes but theres three different packages containing 2 different versions of the game and one containing some extra stuff. The retailers are only listing one.

Game specific stores (EB, Gamestop, etc. ) will carry the SP/MP, general merchandise/non gaming stores (Walmart etc.) will carry the SP, according to Gabe. Ill bet all stores end up carrying both tho.

Has there been an official announcement that the subscription will be 9.95/month? I think Gabe is just using that as an example price. It's a fairly reasonable price, but considering that people might want more content for $10 a month, they might reduce the price.

Back