Grrrr im allready starting to hate HL2!!!!

Yea, thats what I was thinking. I can't imagine game stores only get the one version and non-game stores only getting the other.

I want the special edition as well.

awww he's angry.

C-R-Y

I think they have to change the name. "Subscription" confuses newbies too easily. It should be called "Rental Charge".

And besides, it's just an option. $10 to play the single player and beat it is worth it if that's all you plan on doing. If you plan on playing it for 5 years, DONT USE THE RENTAL SERVICE! duh... and stop making new threads on this crap.

^^ slash is right, you dolts oughto learn to think more often before posting bullshit like this.

I guess the thing I'm worried about is that the subscribers will get preferential treatment.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
I guess the thing I'm worried about is that the subscribers will get preferential treatment.

Amen, brotha! I agree completely...other than that, I'm fine with the whole setup, but I don't want to see content that would be free for most other games (better textures, new mp weapons/maps/game modes) all of a sudden costing owners of the retail box while subscribers get them free.

Man, Valve's tradition of obscure answers to direct questions is really making it hard to figure out exactly what they have planned.

No, Valve's habit of letting fans know what they are THINKING ABOUT and the ideas they are tossing around is great. It's the people that blow everything out of proportion and complain about everything which will make it hard for them to continue giving us so much insight into their design process.

Yes, part of the reason 3D Realms clammed up about Duke Nukem Forever is because any comment made by the developement staff, no matter how inocuous, was blown out of proportion by the fan base.

So what I'm gathering is that it goes like this:

Single player edition
Single player only
No access to mods or extra content
Lower cost
One time payment

Single/Multiplayer edition
(Includes regular and collector's edition)
Single and multiplayer
Access to mods and extra content
Standard cost
One time payment

Subscription:
Single and multiplayer
Access to mods and extra content
Cost includes purchase of future stand-alone products
Lower cost
Continual payment

Originally posted by KidRock
steam blows

i agree,

do you guys realize that if for x or y reason your cable/phone/T1/whatever goes out for a day or so, you wont be able to login to steam, therefore you wont be able to play your SINGLE PLAYER game? so far, steam has not made any effort to solve this since you HAVE TO login to steam before playing anything...

steam is gonna be valve's ruin

Originally posted by Tlaloc
i agree,

do you guys realize that if for x or y reason your cable/phone/T1/whatever goes out for a day or so, you wont be able to login to steam, therefore you wont be able to play your SINGLE PLAYER game? so far, steam has not made any effort to solve this since you HAVE TO login to steam before playing anything...

steam is gonna be valve's ruin

Don't try to state something as fact when all it is, is guessing... and people that are so against steam... perhaps you could actually come up with a VIABLE reason why it's bad?

****ing cavemen confronted to the wheel, that's what you all sound like.

What if they charge 50$ for the exclusively single player version and 70$ for the one with mod capability. Then you won't all be sucking valves dick...

This is only if you download HL2 off steam instead of buying it in stores.

Even if you do buy it off of steam, if you have already downloaded it you can most likely play the single player without logging into steam.

if you buy hl2 at a store, it will install steam on your computer.
Then you will create an account on steam because you need a steamID to play. This way, valve takes care of piracy, you won't see any ISO's of hl2 floating around the net unless someone figures out a way to bypass steam's authentication process.

If you are so sure that you can play hl2 without logging on to steam, try just running opposing force (single player) without running steam first. When you click on hl.exe, it automatically runs steam...

before you judge people's complaints, get your facts straight.

I'm not so sure... what's stopping someone from downloading it on a friends machine so they can both play SP at the same time. The retail version requires a cd in the drive, the steam version requires that you are logged into steam.

Also, you aren't downloading the whole thing at once. Look at HL on steam. You download it level by level. This has to be how they do HL2 without taking days upon days to get the whole game.

well, perhaps only one person can be logged on a time per steamID

^^ what he said too [edit]

if you read the valve info thread you'll see that gabe points out that it IS possible to go over to your friend's place and login to steam and get your saved games etc.. so you can keep playing. Also, where did you read that the retail version requires a cd in the drive? Please point me in the right direction cuz this is news to me.

I hate the new HL2 sales plan. Its sad that valve has dissapointed us not far from the HL2 release date. I never thought I would ever say this, but Doom 3 seems more promising to me (multiplayer wise).

Originally posted by harhar
I hate the new HL2 sales plan. Its sad that valve has dissapointed us not far from the HL2 release date. I never thought I would ever say this, but Doom 3 seems more promising to me (multiplayer wise).

That was dumb...

Anyway... Tlaloc, that may be how it works NOW, but Steam hasn't left beta now has it? And... last time I checked, no information was out on this...

Demonmerc... same thing... and retail installs steam on your computer... as someone else already stated...

Bottom line: Wait, and stop making wild assumptions before more information is given out on how Steam will work.

I know steam is still beta, but that is the whole premise of steam -- for valve to release new patches and content "transparently" to the user. So you have to login.

You do have a point though, it may be fixed somehow when the steam2 is released. I'm just worried with all of this, what happened to mods being free and simple? With the way farcry and doomIII are going to approach mods, this subtle change might take the crown away from valve.

I dont give valve my full trust because anyone can make mistakes, so they might too.

Anyone who dislikes HL2 because they added stuff on top of the thing they planned to buy is a complete and total jacktard.

Back