Guild Wars

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have really been feeling like a good RPG recently, and I haven't played and RPG in awhile. So I'm thinking about getting Guild Wars, and I just wanted to know ya'll thought of it.

A) I like single player RPGs alot, but I also love playing in good groups and some PvP as well. So....
1) Is it possible to pretty much play by yourself to start (the questing and whatnot)
2) Is is usually a pain to get in a good group?

So yeah, other then those specific questions, what are your general thoughts about the game?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, 2 more questions- Is there a HL2.Net guild? and... does anyone know anywhere where I can get it for less than $46?

I've heard that updates aren't free...
Is this true?

Guild Wars is a great choice of game for those people out there that are lazy in the MMORPG field. Guild Wars is a more fast-paced game, as you aren't required to do as much compared to other games such as World of Warcraft, Everquest, and more. I'd suggest this game if World of Warcraft and paying montly fees isn't your cup of tea :) Good luck sir.

1) It is possible to play by yourself with henchmans(AI). Soloing is rather hard and not really recommended unless you know what you are doing.

2) Depends on how lucky you are, I hardly come across any groups with a jerk. You don't have to group with people, just grab henchmans and go.

There's another GW thread here and yes there is a HL2.net guild. You can buy the game off newegg.com for $46.90, or you can buy it off target.com which is $40 online, not sure about stores.

A) I like single player RPGs alot, but I also love playing in good groups and some PvP as well. So....
To put it simply, from the above description, this is your game. Guild Wars is basically a single-player, combat-oriented, RPG-lite that happens to be played online. Story and socializing typically take a backseat to constant action. Think of it as a slower paced Diablo II with more emphasis on strategy and less on frenetic clicking.

Soloing is possible with the aid of the NPC "henchmen" that work as computer controlled teammates, but due to the emphasis on group combat, you don't get the demi-god feeling that you get from a game like Diablo.

Finally, yes, there is indeed a halflife2.net guild for which there is a thread floating around on this board, and we desperately need new active members. I can safely say that joining it makes Guild Wars a more... interesting experience.

Getting in a good group can sometimes be a pain, but it's just an unfortunate reality that the internet turns most everyone into rabid, slobbering idiots. That's why you should join a dependable guild, one of which I would gladly recommend to you.

xlucidx said:
Is this true?

I think you mean expansions, since this game is updated frequently. There are like multiple updates every week changing or fixing something. Expansions will cost money, but isn't required to continue playing. There's going to be a free expansion coming soon this summer.

Is this true?
Whoever told you this isn't very smart.
Updates are 100% free. Infact they made sweet streaming technology to update everything on the fly. They will add places and more stuff as time goes on.

Now!!
What wont be free is that they will be releasing "Massive" expansions for about $20 - $30. Expansions may add entire new areas(not anything small), new classes, continue the story and much much more. They said expansions will be more than worth it with the tools they designed.(I believe them, between E3 and WPE(6 months), they rehauled most of the game really quickly. The expanisons will come out between 6 - 12 months or maybe longer.

Somefool said:
I think you mean expansions, since this game is updated frequently. There are like multiple updates every week changing or fixing something. Expansions will cost money, but isn't required to continue playing. There's going to be a free expansion coming soon this summer.
Not only that they also release new content for free like sorrows furnace
http://www.guildwars.com/

Amd siderwinder, if you want good rpg pvp, gw has got the best.

This game is a great choice. Even if you find assholes in groups, just get henchmen. They are almost the same, but a wee bit stupider. :p
Updates are 100% free, and this summer, we are getting a whole new area for free! The only things that won't be free are the expansions that will come about every 6 months. When are expansions ever free, anyway?

I'm not really a mmorpg kinda guy, but guildwars is good.......end.

God, I really ****ing hate RPG's, but this sounds like my dame!

I loved Diablo II to death, and even got LoD just so I could play online with others who had it. I had just wished it was a bit more tacticall than "click the shit out of anything that moves". One of the other main reasons I got LoD was because of it's "strategical" features it added, such as being able to arm your henchmen and mercs.

I think I may end up getting it in the next couple of days... thanks for all the advice!

sinkoman said:
God, I really ****ing hate RPG's, but this sounds like my dame!

I loved Diablo II to death, and even got LoD just so I could play online with others who had it. I had just wished it was a bit more tacticall than "click the shit out of anything that moves". One of the other main reasons I got LoD was because of it's "strategical" features it added, such as being able to arm your henchmen and mercs.
You contradicted yourself so many times in that post, it wasn't even funny. You hate "click everything" RPG's and you even hate RPG's in general, but you love Diablo II. :p

Well, went to my local wal mart to buy it. I went to wal mart because it was being sold for $40 on thier website... but they had it for 50 in the store, so I walked out. I may go to my local target or EB later today though...

SidewinderX said:
Well, went to my local wal mart to buy it. I went to wal mart because it was being sold for $40 on thier website... but they had it for 50 in the store, so I walked out. I may go to my local target or EB later today though...

I was going to mention that before, it seems you can only buy it cheap online since all stores around here sell it at 50 too. Please don't buy it at Wal-mart, after hearing all those stories about jacking keys there, I don't feel safe buying games there.

SidewinderX said:
You might want to take advantage of Best Buy or Circuit City's price match if you can't find any good deals elsewhere. They'll give you the difference back if the game goes on sale ANYWHERE else for up to a month.

Narcolepsy said:
You might want to take advantage of Best Buy or Circuit City's price match if you can't find any good deals elsewhere. They'll give you the difference back if the game goes on sale ANYWHERE else for up to a month.

Yea, but the closest stores are 30 minutes away. I might call target this evening.

ray_MAN said:
You contradicted yourself so many times in that post, it wasn't even funny. You hate "click everything" RPG's and you even hate RPG's in general, but you love Diablo II. :p

I know that. When I said "clicking everything", I meant I was wishing the whole scheme of DII was more than clicking everything in sight, and yes, I do hate RPG's in general.

Diablo II was the Oasis in the sand for me. It's more than just running around in a forest, hoping something doesn't attack you, then when something does, you dig through menus to a bunch of attack options, then rinse, repeat.

It was the one RPG I didn't loathe. As I said, I loved it to death.

Guild wars is ok, not alot of depth to it though. Also kinda repetitive

Back