Guitars

Pressure

Reaction score
Well, I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II for Christmas and now I'm starting to learn guitar. I was wondering how do I get it to sound like the guitars in rock or metal songs. Right now it just sounds like an acoustic guitar with an amp :). I was just curious because I'd like to see how it'd sound.

You need an FX peddle, they are quite expensive. That is all i know.

not true. you'll need to get a distorted or overdriven sound on your amp. i'm not gonna tell you how cause quite frankly i can't be bothered

Best thing is an effects pedal - there are many and different songs use different effects...Distortion pedal is prob the best to get to start (or a multi-effect) and you can get them for prob less than 200 Euro (or dollars)

Wow, why is it so expensive just to make my guitar sound different from an acoustic?

Get a Boss DS1 distortion pedal for $40, and a power supply for $10 or so. Great sounding pedal for the price. Once you get better and get a tube amp the DS1 makes a great boost pedal.

can't tell you much without knowing what kind of amp you have. You should really have a good one, the quality of your guitar is wasted on an el cheapo amp.

effect pedals are good but can be fairly limited in sound, especially if you're just starting (EG metal sounds very different compared to rock). Best to get a good amp.

I suggest marshall, high end but worth it. And seeing your guitar you should have some money to burn :)

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/pedals/pedals.html

I have an epiphone les paul and a Marshall JTM 30 tube amp. Perfect sound for me, I play mostly classic rock and blues (ACDC, Stevie Ray Vaughan)

If you have a good amp it should have some effects in-built (such as some of the post £100 Marshal amps), but you're always gonna be better of getting specific effects pedals for specific purposes... have you never seen someone in a live performance with half a dozen effects pedals right infront of them?

Oh, and learning guitar by starting with electric guitar is the best way to become a mediocre guitarist imo. If you start by learning an acoustic guitar, which is generally more difficult to play when you move onto leccy guitars they're a piece of cake!

Switching between rythm and treble on the guitar will give you a meater or creamier sound too.

id save up for a higher end marshall amp if i were you!
EXCELLENT for beginners!

you'll be playing around with it for hours checking out all the cool sounds you can make!!
i did anyway...

and im going out looking for a pedal possibly today!
hopefully the prices will be really cheapz0rs coz its after crimbo!

ohh and to ur ? get a cheap distortion pedal when i started off i had a DOD Grudge petal i set it to my liking and with my fender tube amp (50 Watts) it sounded beautiful... but im thinking of an effects pedal now but beleive me tubes are the way to go tdont let any else tell u regular are better they are just a fake tone tube amp is heavy and real!!!

gkanga said:
Get a Boss DS1 distortion pedal for $40, and a power supply for $10 or so. Great sounding pedal for the price. Once you get better and get a tube amp the DS1 makes a great boost pedal.

Agree with a DS1 there, brilliant pedals for the money :) I got mine for £5 after a friend bought a multifx unit.

:)

Aye, DS1s are the bollocks!

Good luck learning the Guitar man, 10 years on and I am still picking up new sounds and tricks.

I'll prolly get flamed for this, but I really found Peavey amps great for starting out with, inexpensive and versatile.

I am a bassist and I have been playing a Peavy Mark III for a LONG time, nice amps, sounds good, easy to work on.

I would also endorse Peavy amps. =)

You just started you dont need a ****ing pedal. I have a 20 dollar squire amp and i can get it to sound like most songs I try to copy. Just fix your tone, distortion to the right settings and it will be fine. Mess around with your amp and guitar a bit. And for metal you need to do some heavy palm muting and hit the string very hard to get that perfect grungy sound.

I'm sorry I wanna play around with my guitar. What the f*ck was I thinking? I better practice for atleast 20 more years before I can even begin to play around with different sounds. Thanks for setting me straight asshole.

Dude, what amp do you have now? If it doesn't even have an overdrive channel you may want to look at the Marshall range of amps. I have a MG30 DFX for home use, has both clean and overdrive channels, great FX to use, and you can get a lot of different sounds out of it. But I'd reccomend the MG15DFX, I'd wish I got that, as you don't actually get the best sound out of your amp until it's volumes about half-way :p - My MG30's a little on the loud side :)

I would look at pedals a little later - just get yourself a decent mid-range amp to get you started. If your amp sounds like crap then it's not gonna help you play or get any better, but if you want to get some pedals now then I would definitely look at Boss pedals, you can pick up great sounding pedals at pretty decent prices.

The " you need to start with acoustic guitar " is just a myth. I know plenty of guitar players who barely played on an acoustic and started with an electric.

I-m also getting into the guitars, Im getting myself a Yahama to get started. Id like to share tips with you pressure if you like.

Adrien C said:
The " you need to start with acoustic guitar " is just a myth. I know plenty of guitar players who barely played on an acoustic and started with an electric.

I-m also getting into the guitars, Im getting myself a Yahama to get started. Id like to share tips with you pressure if you like.

I definitely agree. I started with electric and I thought it was a really good way to start. The electric is more versital (sp?) and has higher action and a smaller body so its easier to play.

edit: even though i started on electric, i like playing acoustic a lot better though. Just like being able to pick it up, not mess with the tone and just jam.

If your Amp has only one channel (clean), you will need to buy a pedal (Distortion, overdrive, or gain).

You can get a used Gain/Distortion/Over Drive pedal for probably 20$.

New they can run around 35-120$

* Acoustic (steel string) builds strength and flexibility for the fingers
* Electric = Later on, picking up electric guitar wont be that difficult thanks to previous fingering on the steel strings.

PoeticRocker said:
* Acoustic (steel string) builds strength and flexibility for the fingers
* Electric = Later on, picking up electric guitar wont be that difficult thanks to previous fingering on the steel strings.

100 percent agree with you there.

Playing guitar is awesome man. Seriously don't give up, practice all the time and play for life.

I started on acoustic and it was great for conditioning - just dont go in expecting to play songs that sound the same or v. fast solos - strings are thicker and slows down playing...

If you really want to play guitar, you will play on anything and stick with it...

Back