Gunships,Hunter-Choppers and Striders

C

Cavalry

-well,as we saw in E2,when DOG fought they strider,it appeared to have its own brain
-when fighting the hunter-chopper near the garage,if you look closely,1 mine can kill the pilot and he falls out,yet the chopper keeps going
-in the hospital in E1,when you have finished the fight with the gunship,Alyx says "are you sure its dead,better hit it with your crowbar"
are all of these "machines" really creatures from Xen?

None of them are from Xen.
The strider does indeed have a brain of it's own, the strider and gunship are sorta half machine half living creatures.
The hunter-chopper has 2 pilots.. or crewmen, and it's adapted from Earth's technology anyway, that's definatly not form Xen and I think Alyx is just joking when telling you to use your crowbar to check if the gunship is really dead.

The Gunship and Strider are alien lifeforms that have been previously conquered by the Combine and heavily modified with Combine technology to serve under them in combat. The Chopper simply has a co-pilot or an onboard self-navigation system.

No, they are not from xen. The gunship and strider(and dropships, hunters, and shield scanners) are synths. They are aliens from unknown area that were either made into "androids" by the combine, or already looked that way. THe hunter chopper has 2 pilots, one falls out, then the other fals during the spinning crash.(look very carefully.)

thanks TollBooth Willie
in HL2,you see there aren't 2 people,when it crashes theres only 1 body at the site...

thanks TollBooth Willie
in HL2,you see there aren't 2 people,when it crashes theres only 1 body at the site...

Then it's a good guess it's got some kind of autopilot that takes over. The point is, the chopper is most definately not a xen-creature, and not alive.

The chopper definately has 2 crewmen...you can see it in Raising The Bar...its likely that the other just dies inside the wreck when the helo explodes...

BTW, anybody else think the chopper's spinning crash was so much cooler than just exploding?

The chopper definately has 2 crewmen...you can see it in Raising The Bar...its likely that the other just dies inside the wreck when the helo explodes...

BTW, anybody else think the chopper's spinning crash was so much cooler than just exploding?
Much cooler.

Nah the Hunter Chopper is the Combine'd version of an apache probably.

As for the living gunship and the strider and stuff, they where animals (or maybe even sentient species, who knows) on their world before the Combine took over.

Striders/Gunships have been force evolved with extensive technology. They ae living creatures.

An Android is a robot with human characteristics. A Cyborg is a creature with robot characteristics. So, they are pretty much cyborgs. Only Synths are more heavily on the organic side, with implants and such.

Actually, it's the Combine'd version of an Mil MI-24. :LOL:

Really? I was going to say that at first and then I thought: Nah, it's probably a more commonly seen US/UK craft (Valve being on that side of the planet).

For a start, i don't see how a helicopter is alive, its simply a modified helicopter which has 3 pilots, two at the front and one in the middle. Then, the gunship and strider are propablly from the same combine conquored world as they look similar and have similar guns, 'Synth' means an animal or creature which was living on a world taken over by the combine and has been changed for ways of war and conquor by attaching weaponary, armor and life support in some cases

The hunter chopper has at least 2 crewmen. At times you can see one of them drop out when you do a certain amount of damage to the chopper, and i think you can see another corpse after it is shot down?

Really? I was going to say that at first and then I thought: Nah, it's probably a more commonly seen US/UK craft (Valve being on that side of the planet).

But HL2 took place on that other side of the planet. :p
(I'd like to know how life in USoA would be like under combine control, though.)

I think the big central rotor behind the cockpit is very cool, so is the "tiltable" tail rotor, which implies a lot of maneuverability.

But HL2 took place on that other side of the planet. :p
(I'd like to know how life in USoA would be like under combine control, though.)

I think the big central rotor behind the cockpit is very cool, so is the "tiltable" tail rotor, which implies a lot of maneuverability.

I wanted to do a mod set in the US actually. City 4, near the Washington State / Canadian border.

Maybe there was a combine soldier that was teaching other soldier how to drive?

As the others stated, the other one simply died in the crash. You know how mangled bodies are in crashes?

If there wasn't a second pilot then an autopilot would have to take over. Its definitely not alive, you can tell because it never makes any noises that an organism would make. The Strider and Gunship both make noises that sound like a creature. The only noises that chopper makes are mechanical.

Back