H&K MP5 SD6 Model/Skin & Ingame 56k beware !

G

Goetterfunke

Recently i felt like trying out a new skinning method, and i was too lazy to model a new gun so i asked the pro modeler sas.stu if he has any unskinned model that i could try on. He said he had an old MP5 that i could use, but the model was one of his first weapons and sucks in his opinion.
Well, if he says it sucks, that doesnt mean its bad, because he's one of the best modelers and has ultra high standards.

So he send me the model and i thought: "hey thats a pretty cool one even though it sucks in his opinion "
So i started to skin and heres the not yet final result:

mp5render.jpg

mp5wip26.jpg

imported in DC to check how it would look ingame:
(i failed to remove the old mag, looks bit strange)

www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1045.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1044.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1042.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1040.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1034.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1032.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1030.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1027.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1025.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1046.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1047.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1048.jpg
www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/snap1049.jpg

www.planetbattlefield.com/eod/mp5.htm

*remember that this model is below sas.stu's standard, his newer models are even better*

Pretty good.. since when is sas.stu a pro modeller tho? I remember him asking me for advice

MAAaaan. Black backgrounds. why do all yall insist on using black backgrounds. all you see is a closter of detail in the middle since the whole outline of the weapon dissapears

Wholey shit, that is an amazing model, and skinning job, very nice work.

Originally posted by endorphin
Pretty good.. since when is sas.stu a pro modeller tho? I remember him asking me for advice

heh...I think anyone's a pro modeller when they can produce a model of this quality...

m16_eod.jpg

About the skin though, it looks nice but it feels to photorealistic for DC, which seems more cartoony imo...the skin would probably look really good in HL2 because most of their skins are really high quality...but that skin is a little to real looking for use in DC...nice job though...

oh, and why does it say Planetbattlefield/EOD on the file names...heh...shouldn't it read Planetbattlefield/DC???

Sensefail: It really isnt that hard to model guns, the hardest thing is to keep it a good poly/detail ratio so to say. Low poly player models are alot harder and more fun I think.
I guess if a "pro" modeler asked me for advice it makes me superpro :p

Incitatus: Thats an entire different type of modelling, thats highpoly, games are lowpoly, and you gotto think of different things.

Originally posted by CrazyTalk
Since when is 520k polys high poly?

Everything is relative, and 520k was uncomplete, and unsmoothed.

Originally posted by endorphin
Sensefail: It really isnt that hard to model guns, the hardest thing is to keep it a good poly/detail ratio so to say. Low poly player models are alot harder and more fun I think.
I guess if a "pro" modeler asked me for advice it makes me superpro :p

Incitatus: Thats an entire different type of modelling, thats highpoly, games are lowpoly, and you gotto think of different things.

Ah yes but low poly is simply high poly's little brother. They work on different concepts yes but no pro or even amateur who knows his stuff will say low poly is more or as difficult as high poly. Therefore it's really REALLY hard to impress with a low poly model.
If you look at demo reels sent in to (game) studio's, modeling reels will almost always contain mainly high poly stuff.

to explain my last post

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't read your entire post, I don't mean that you don't know your stuff. I don't know how long you've been doing CG. But I've been doing it for a number of years and I have spoken to proffesionals and there is no doubt that high poly is far more difficult. Whether you're using subdivs, splines or nurbs, the fact alone (neglecting the knowledge you need about the different smoothing methods) that you have to manage far more points and that you can't use primitives like they're used in low poly modeling makes high poly more difficult.

For instance In low poly you place a vert there where it would be on the real model, simple enough. In high poly this could lead to garbage when smoothed. You have to always keep in mind 'how do the lines flow' 'where can I risk using a tri or a ngon and not a quad' 'will the tries smooth properly' 'will they deform properly'. There a simply far more factors that come into play when high poly modeling.

Look at that headdress, the manmade mesh is so thick you can't see the individual wires (look futher back in the thread, there's a close up). This is a skilled cg artist.

lowpoly weapon modeling is one of the easiest things to do =|

thx for the on topic comments

please dont turn that thread into a modeling techniques discussion
I said hes pro cause has his own 3D business ;)

some constructive crits would be nice

thx :)

i reworked some parts, heres an update :)
and yes, i still use EoD space m_m =)

mp5wip27.jpg

i really like that, if the front grip was resized so the hand didnt clip into it, id prefer to hav that than the MP5 in atm. seems more Spec Ops to me. but yeah, looks really really good, maybe even more detail than the 1 they hav now :naughty:

ooh if i highligt the pic myself i can see its very good. detailed

Looks very good GF that last pic looks much better but very blue almost like its under neon lights. (but you know my monitor is not like everybody else so it may just be me.)

Also maybe too much noise on some parts but im sure that’s so it shows up in BF.

DC is lucky to have you.

I like it, the handle kind of looks a little to similar to the receiver though, but I'm not an expert on the MP5 so maybe that's how its supposed to be...

I'm just wondering why the inside of your technicals look so damn low res when you have the capability to make something that nice looking. Heh, your next technical or civilian car better feel like I'm driving a BMW...;)

Looking good...could you post a screenshot of the gun ingame with the correct magazine in 1st person view...considering thats how everyone is going to see it, I bet you'd get better critiques that way...

Back