hacker attempt with steam

U

Uncobob

About two minutes ago, steam attempted to automatically update..
I got some interesting messages.

i.e I think i'll crash your system now, Thanks for using steam you pile of shit(this is with a firewall running) etc.

Couldnt even find steam in the process list

Good thing I had pc-cillin in the background.. hit emergency lockdown, and uninstalled steam.

I don't regularly update steam.. so it could have been an old exploit(or some lame attempt at a joke)- if you dont update steam, uninstall it

if this is old news, dont worry about it, but it just happened for me
frankly, not impressed

I wasn't particularly clued in when steam attempted to automatically update.. never seen it do that.. nor do i even run it, so I didnt think to take a screenshot

GEE WHIZ!

PRAISE ALLAH THAT YOU HAD PC-CILLIN RUNNING OR YOU MIGHTA GOTTEN YOUR STEAM UPDATED TO THE NEWEST VERSION AND FIXED A BUNCH OF BUGS!!!

heaven forbid

PRAISE ALLAH THAT YOU HAD PC-CILLIN RUNNING OR YOU MIGHTA GOTTEN YOUR STEAM UPDATED TO THE NEWEST VERSION AND FIXED A BUNCH OF BUGS!!!

Did you even read the post?

PC-Cillin sucks bigtime. get panda or f-secure if you wanna get rid of trojans or hackers or anything of the like.

Whoa...that's scary. Seems like there are some security issues.

Maybe that is what VALVe is working on.

If not...then HIDE THIS THREAD, or they'll decide they have to fix it!!! :)

I was wondering if something like this could happen ala the popup advertising on MSN that occurs now... Valve will have to tighten the lines of communication between steam servers and the clients.

Steam were trying to auto-update without running?
Bullshit.
You probably got the messenger service activated.

Take a look at This The member maxx has the steam hack your talking about as his sig (bottom of the page......pretty funny I thought. :cheers:

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
Whoa...that's scary. Seems like there are some security issues.

Maybe that is what VALVe is working on.

If not...then HIDE THIS THREAD, or they'll decide they have to fix it!!! :)
Also taken in mind that Valve has some serious bugsquashing to do in Steam, Steam should be more important than HL2 in that office now...

Originally posted by Saltpeter
Also taken in mind that Valve has some serious bugsquashing to do in Steam, Steam should be more important than HL2 in that office now...

theres seperate people working on steam and HL2.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
theres seperate people working on steam and HL2.
I mean that Steam should have a higher priority than HL2 at the moment...

Originally posted by Saltpeter
I mean that Steam should have a higher priority than HL2 at the moment...

but its two sets of programmers, the HL2 guys, and the steam guys, the steam guys top priority is always steam, and hl2 guys top priority is HL2, its not like the hl2 guys are gonna drop what they're doing and go work on steam, they probably arent all that involved with the inner workings of steam anyways.

I have a feeling, which I hope I'm wrong, but I think HL2 is going to be delayed because of steam. :\

Originally posted by FISKER_Q
Steam were trying to auto-update without running?
Bullshit.
You probably got the messenger service activated.

If you close Steam, even in Tray, there is a 10 Megs application named steam still running in background (check with task manager). I always manually kill it if I want to close Steam.

if HL2 is delayed cos of steam i will murder whoever is working on it.

would an american release get delayed cos europes shipment is a bit late?

NO.

This happened last night, apparently someone went "I'm going to crash your server now" to my friend and then his clan server crashed.

It coincidened with the new release date as well. Maybe Valve wrote a dodgy message telling people to update "Steam is going to close now"

Originally posted by Dougy
if HL2 is delayed cos of steam i will murder whoever is working on it.

would an american release get delayed cos europes shipment is a bit late?

NO.

Erm what?

Do you know what Steam is?

Originally posted by Feath
This happened last night, apparently someone went "I'm going to crash your server now" to my friend and then his clan server crashed.

It coincidened with the new release date as well. Maybe Valve wrote a dodgy message telling people to update "Steam is going to close now"

The ability to crash a server is related to several game exploits rather than any possible steam exploits.

The only way I can see this happening is if the exploitee is a content server.

Back