Half-Life 1 Is Killing Me!

Yah. HL2 toned down the difficulty massively to appeal to a mass market (even though it was possibly the finest FPS ever created in the history of man - go figure). I must say, Halo really got their difficulty settings totally correct (unlike Halo 2... and Half-Life 2.)

I managed to get all the way to Xen (on easy) before giving up and using cheats.

I played Half-Life recently for the first time in five years (so basically it's like I never played) and I played through the whole game on hard mode, not that hard at all.

Xen is hard. I played on normal and it took me ages to get through it. Stupid flying things with fireballs got me everytime.

Wow, you're playing a game on Hard! That makes you extremely hardcore!:rolleyes:

Last i played i was stuck on the Garg in the Rail System :/

Turned the power on in the place downstairs, but forgotten what else i have to do

D:

Also on reload half the HGrunts are there in form but no really...cant make any imapct on them with the Crowbar and the don't do anything, the other half of them are fine

:/

Last i played i was stuck on the Garg in the Rail System :/

Turned the power on in the place downstairs, but forgotten what else i have to do

D:

Go back to the Garg (the starting point of the chapter), go through the big, long hallway (be sure that the Garg follows you) until you reach a huge generator (looks like two Tesla Coils in RA :D) and turn on the power there so it'll gib the Garg. Done! Unfortunately you're gonna start on one of the worst chapters in the game after this! Hurray!

In HL1 on hard the revolver is your best friend. Also make good use of the satchels and snarks. Don't be afraid to use your powerful weapons on the agrunts.

every 1 calm down, diff ppl have diff. skills then each other...and some r just well ....une nubberinos

every 1 calm down, diff ppl have diff. skills then each other...and some r just well ....une nubberinos

Not enough actual words, and too many periods makes for a sentence that cannot be read.

I dont think I ever beat hl1 on hard.....i only got halfway or so

Anyone get hard after reading this thread :naughty:

Dr. G-man?
I call him Dr. G-man, I think he could patch you up in half-a-second.
Operation Flashpoint, and Deus Ex on EASY will have you tearing your hair out though - my gods they were downright disgustingly challenging at times
I agree about Flashpoint, but Deus Ex? WRONG!

The only way I can play DX is on Realistic, you must be super-uber-amzingly-omgwtf-noobish in DX..

No, entertainment goes to HL2, what with toying around with physics in mods like SMOD, and GMOD, nothing really beats HL2. Story/challengingness goes to HL1.

The story has been pretty consistent for me between games. Everything except the beginning of Episode One. It kind of... didn't do it for me, what with all the meditating, teleporting ghost Vortigaunts. That just didn't make any sense to me, but I'm sure it'll be addressed somehow in Episode Two or Three.

Challenge most definitely goes to HL1 though.

I wish I could re-play HL1. I ALWAYS bring it with me on my laptop on holidays and I get to the Tentacles and I just stop. Y'know parts og a game you get to and you think ''Crap, I'm at this place'' and you suddenly lose all intrest? No? Well, I get it anyway. I just can't be bothered to go sneaking around them and doing all the running around for those damn switches.

The only way I can play DX is on Realistic, you must be super-uber-amzingly-omgwtf-noobish in DX..

i agree. damn, realistic was helluva fun, it was so.. realistic.

I am fairly certain I played through HL1 on hard mode the first time through... maybe. Been awhile, and I always like playing through games on hard mode.

Oh, and the shotgun is your friend. Especially with vortigaunts.

Well, for it's time it has better story, in most games from back then it's just like "go here and do this to get to this place, then find another switch to activate this" with HL1 people actually talk, for example with the first boss, the scientist actually gave you speech on how/why to kill the monster (activating the test engine thingy).

I am fairly certain I played through HL1 on hard mode the first time through... maybe. Been awhile, and I always like playing through games on hard mode.

Oh, and the shotgun is your friend. Especially with vortigaunts.
Man, I loved that shottie. I used to call it Shirley/ The Shizzgun. I don't know why either. :LOL:

Some of the guns (shotty included) look way better in HL1, if they were remodled in HL2, with hi-res textures it would be awesome.

Source snark would be nice. They were fun to use (gotta love hearing those cute little squeaks and that sudden splatter when it blows) but it sucks when they turn on you once they run out of targets.

How do you figure that? None of the gameplay aspects were changed, surely?

They were... AI is sweeter than in Half-Life. But it screws up some bits - you know when you first encounter the HECU, the scientist runs towards them going 'We're saved!' and then they shoot him? Well, because the AI is tuned up, they automatically detect and flank you before that happens.

Still waiting for Black Mesa Source, though. (Although it's not BMS anymore, just BM).

They were... AI is sweeter than in Half-Life. But it screws up some bits - you know when you first encounter the HECU, the scientist runs towards them going 'We're saved!' and then they shoot him? Well, because the AI is tuned up, they automatically detect and flank you before that happens.

Still waiting for Black Mesa Source, though. (Although it's not BMS anymore, just BM).

Sucks how Valve told them to take out the source part...but they could keep Black Mesa? I don't understand people sometimes :p

Deus Ex on is fine once you get used to it but the learning curve starts on third rung IMO.

Sucks how Valve told them to take out the source part...but they could keep Black Mesa? I don't understand people sometimes :p

You know, Source indicates that the product is professionally developed by Valve (CS:S, DoD:S, etc.) but Black Mesa is simply a... place.

Well, for it's time it has better story, in most games from back then it's just like "go here and do this to get to this place, then find another switch to activate this" with HL1 people actually talk, for example with the first boss, the scientist actually gave you speech on how/why to kill the monster (activating the test engine thingy).

That's exactly what Half-Life was. Go here, do this to get to this place.

Are you sure you're not just playing Half-Life 2 and you got confused?

I find it amazing that Valve managed to "Bring back" characters from Half-Life 1 despite there not actually being any characters to speak of.

Retconning ftw.

I find it amazing that Valve managed to "Bring back" characters from Half-Life 1 despite there not actually being any characters to speak of.

Retconning ftw.
True dat. Killing Eli with a crowbar FTW! Oh...that isn't what you meant is it?

Back