Half Life 1 Speed Runs

who is gman?

Reaction score
Ok I've posted this here because there doesn't seem to be a HL1 gameplay forum.

I was surfing the web when I came across a video on Google Video titled Half Life in half an hour which is obviously a video of HL1 completed in 30mins. Unfortunately because of my web browser (long story) I can't watch or download this video, so I've got no idea how this guy did it. I tried a HL1 speed run on easy and it did not go well. I'm a very casual gamer unlike most of you I presume but still I found it hard to believe that someone could do HL1 in 30mins as I did it in over 5 hours!

How the **** does he do it?? Can someone tell me please?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7868139471476323322&q=half+life+in+half+an+hour

From my point of view bugs are just as bad cheats. I don't want to see him walking over a roof or flying on a piece of wood using the gravity gun or whatever. That's not skill.

From my point of view bugs are just as bad cheats. I don't want to see him walking over a roof or flying on a piece of wood using the gravity gun or whatever. That's not skill.
Too bad. He skips entire chapters using bugs. He also goes across some maps in seconds using Gauss jumping (but that does require skill).

I know about Gauss jumping but still I sort of get the feeling that I'm being ripped off when I see Gauss jumping, wallmine staircases and snark staircases. And especially gravity gun hover boarding in HL2.

How does he skip whole chapters?

I know about Gauss jumping but still I sort of get the feeling that I'm being ripped off when I see Gauss jumping, wallmine staircases and snark staircases. And especially gravity gun hover boarding in HL2.

When pushed towards a door, scientists sometimes automatically open them. There's this one red blast door that's locked. Instead of having to go around it (through the entire office complex), he just pushes a scientist through it :D

how was that a speed run???? he like has walk speed higher.

Damn. I was decent at q3 Defrag, but I didn't even know you could move like that in q1 or HL1. :eek:

Why are you watching a speedrun then? Maybe it's just me, but I thought the point of a speedrun was to complete the game quickly. Who is anyone to say they shouldn't exploit bugs/glitches in the game?

Anyone else get naseous when they watch these things?

Even watching a minute at a time makes me want to spew.

He certainly makes quick work of "Residue Processing." maybe there's something to be said for speedruns after all.

(I did find it odd that he seems to be taking little or no damage from falls, though).

Nother exploit, relating to angle of landing I think.

I can Gauss jump in multiplayer, but it's completely gone in SP. Wierd.

Could be ladders. So far as I have seen, the video quality of HL1 speedruns weren't that good in some parts so it might not have been that easy to spot the ladders that the player could've landed on. And, quite inconveniently, whenever freefalling into an abyss, I'd assume that the video quality wouldn't be so great.

How do you gauss jump by the way? I tried it and I didn't go very far. It seems that I go backwards but not up much and jumping doesn't help.

Some speed runners bind a key for Gauss jumping
rotate 180 degrees; fire; rotate 180 degrees.

Back