Half-Life 2 Beaten in 2:57:35 (Video link inside)

~Speed_Demon~

Reaction score
If you all remeber the 45 minute video someone beating HL1 and liked it, then you'll want to see this one:

http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/HalfLife2.html

"Best time: 2:57:35 by David 'marshmallow' Gibbons on 27.11.04 in 71 segments. Demos are captured to AVI by David Rickard, appended into one file and compressed to one 320x240 and 640x480 version.

File details: 677 MB / 1.5 GB size (normal / high quality), requires DivX codec. "

I'm downloading the 1.5gb version of the movie, I'd like to see everything in it's glory!

Take Care.

3 hours? thats still quite long.

I'm gonna wait for a quicker one.

Can you just download the Demo file? If so, which link is it?

I don't think so. Not right now at least. There were some problems according to the frontpage so they were removed for the time being. I prefer 1 file anyway :)

I'm not downloading it just to watch a guy beat HL2. I don't really care. I beat it, that's all that matters. :D

lol
this was made with medium difficulty ...
and there is so much more to do to save time ...

watch the trailers on w w w . h l 2 d q . t k and you know what i mean

I can beat it in 3 hours without much difficulty on normal. Im willing to bet I could do under 3 on hard with a little practice, soon as I get my PC upgraded I will record some demos.

what ever happened to valve sayign it was 25 hours at least?

I mean it was damn short even for me, i beat it in like 3 days.(about 2 1/2 hours max per day.)

3 hours is what it takes for me to load the games in between loading points added up while i beat the game so whatever...

B.Calhoun said:

I mean it was damn short even for me, i beat it in like 3 days.(about 2 1/2 hours max per day.)

game developers always overestimate completion times. I'm sure the unreal 2 devs were saying "It's going to have at least 20 hours of gameplay!"

See the thing is Valve hoped for us to appreciate its hard work which most poeople didn't bother with. They just zipped through the game as fast as they could. I personally took my time with observing the world around me and came out with a much more cohesive experience that didn't bring me to the usual conclusions on this board that the game had " no story". It's a lot different to want to play this game the way it was meant to be then just breeze through it and then be all proud that you did it in 5 hours yet bitch about how uninventive it was.

is it any good ? any good tricks like in the 45 min video.

Ownzed said:
I'm not downloading it just to watch a guy beat HL2. I don't really care. I beat it, that's all that matters. :D

but you seem to care enough to post a useless comment in this thread

Anyone know why Alyx's walking animation is screwed up in the vid?

Oh, and to you guys saying you finished the game 'in 3 hours no problem', I highly doubt that. This guy's taking all the shortcuts we've seen so far and applying them efficiently, making very few mistakes. And it takes him 3 hours to do the game, minus loading times.

Anyway, it was fun to watch. :cheers:

DigitalAssassin said:

Oh, and to you guys saying you finished the game 'in 3 hours no problem', I highly doubt that. This guy's taking all the shortcuts we've seen so far and applying them efficiently, making very few mistakes. And it takes him 3 hours to do the game, minus loading times.

Anyway, it was fun to watch. :cheers:

I didnt finish the game in 3 hours the first 4-5 times I played through it, but I did memorize all the level layouts and shortcuts. And beating it in 3 hours IS difficult, but it is by no means impossible and I'm sure people will get alot closer to 2 hours.

Zeus said:
game developers always overestimate completion times. I'm sure the unreal 2 devs were saying "It's going to have at least 20 hours of gameplay!"
I doubt this was the first time the guy played through the game though. :thumbs:

destrukt said:
is it any good ? any good tricks like in the 45 min video.
there are some good stunts, but i think he left more shortcuts than he took :)
DigitalAssassin said:
if you record a demo
alyx´s, some of the combines and some of the rebells animation are ****ed up.
they go into the idle modleviewer animation.
noone knows a sollution for that so far :(

B.Calhoun said:

You did? Valve's time estimate was almost perfect for my experience - it took me about 23 hours to finish HL2 completely.

As for speed runs, I'd be surprised if someone couldn't use enough tricks to do the game in less than 1hr 30... the only issue might be the time the scripted story sequences take.

Wow - what happened to Alyx. heh. Tony hawk style sliding. Her animation is screwed in the video!

Anyway - awesome video, of course because it's of an awesome game.heh.

I'm savin my bandwidth for the 1 hour 30 min vid whenever it comes out.

AJ Rimmer said:
I'm savin my bandwidth for the 1 hour 30 min vid whenever it comes out.
i think it should be possible somewhen in january.

This was pretty bad. I didn't watch the whole thing considering it was 3 hours long but there was some parts that were so slow. He kept bumping into doorways and not taking advantage of the physics engine that much.

And at the end it took him like 3 times longer than it took me to destroy the portal on my FIRST time through!

Now the hl1 video was a LOT better. SO many more tricks and stunts and shortcuts. With the physics engine he should have taken a lot more shortcuts than he did. But then again the hl1 video had 6 years of playing through the game learning every trick and shortcut so I guess he did a great job considering the game has only been out for a couple weeks.

All the mirrors are broken. Or there's too many downloading. coz I cant download =(

Hello all. I'm glad some of you enjoyed the video. Yes, it was not perfect, but you must also remember I completed it less than two weeks from the game release date. I would estimate that we've found maybe 20 more minutes of shortcuts and we're finding little things all the time.

I think my next run will probably be released around January. =]

If you have any suggestions drop us a line at: http://radix.metroid2002.com/sda/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_games

Did anyone do New York Minute mode for the original Max Payne? (I wasn't a fan of NYM in MP2)
I absolutely loved it! You just ran and ran and ran - if you absolutely *had* to shoot someone, you did so as quick as pos! I reckon it'd more than do-able for HL2... If I can finish Max Paybe 1 in half an hour (excluding cut scenes) then I'm sure someone can do HL2 in under and hour!
Is it worth my time trying...maybe over xmas :)

marshmallow said:
Hello all. I'm glad some of you enjoyed the video. Yes, it was not perfect, but you must also remember I completed it less than two weeks from the game release date. I would estimate that we've found maybe 20 more minutes of shortcuts and we're finding little things all the time.

I think my next run will probably be released around January. =]

If you have any suggestions drop us a line at: http://radix.metroid2002.com/sda/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_games
Cool to see you here :) Keep up the good work. And work on your Magnum aim ;)

I want to see this but i got to complete the game first... but im sorta stuck on a bit, tried it 4 times and always die in a really stupid way each time, frustrating as hell, so atm im only playing the game when i feel like it. I know, it's shamefull.

We've been finding some really crazy tricks. We're literally just tearing entire chunks of the game off at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the next run was sub 2:30.

Been watching this little by little everyday and there are some cool things in this vid.

Woohoo, I'm dl-ing it now. I thought the link was down because I couldn't start the download but thank god they have downloadmanagers that try to connect every 5 secs ;)

marshmallow said:
We've been finding some really crazy tricks. We're literally just tearing entire chunks of the game off at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the next run was sub 2:30.
i wouldnt be suprised if its possible close to 120 minutes

Back