Half-Life 2 benchmark numbers right here

I think all the hits must have melted poor beyond3d's server...

how do you people think radeon 9500 PRO(8 pixelpipelines) will perform? I think it is a faster card than 9600pro, but I am not shure.

dawdler
it ain't in a 6 month.!!

at least June 04:borg:

considering halflife is big on shaders i would guess 8 is better 4

Surely Shaders are based upon Software as Oppose to Hardware?

So couldn't Nvidia create a new patch so the card implements the pixel shaders more effeciantly?

no its all hardware, simple fact is Ati has better hardware in place then Nvidia does for dx9 features. software just tells the programs how to use that hardware.

Originally posted by G0rgon
dawdler
it ain't in a 6 month.!!

at least June 04:borg:
I said at least too :)
My original plan was to write 6-12 months, but considering the FX complete failure (if 10 more games get released, and we see 10 more horrible results, they are damaged for years ahead. They already are, but more so.) they might move it up and crunching it out...

Originally posted by mortiz

So couldn't Nvidia create a new patch so the card implements the pixel shaders more effeciantly?

you need the underlaying hardware to execute shaders in a timely manner.

The only way they get the nVidia hardware running faster is by turning down the quality of the shaders/calculations... John Carmack said this about nVidia cards in Doom3... Gabe Newell said this about nVidia cards in Half-Life 2.

They turn down the precision of the shaders from 32-bit to 16-bit (or even 12-bit) and try to cut corners where ever they can to make the game faster. Apparently in Doom3, all the optimization payed off and nVidia cards perform slightly faster... but if you applied the same optimizations to the ATI cards they would be back in the lead.

nVidia's next driver update will probably force a lot of shaders to 16/12-bit and cut some corners automatically so the developers don't have to spend so much time optimizing their games.

Originally posted by mortiz

Shaders are software, which can be optimizied for better performance, but software ultimately is limited by the hardware's capabilities.

Originally posted by cadaver
how do you people think radeon 9500 PRO(8 pixelpipelines) will perform? I think it is a faster card than 9600pro, but I am not shure.

Yes it is. No need to worry.

:cheers:

Back