Half Life 2 Crash: Tried Everything

T

Tzarro

Hello, I have been having a problem with Half Life 2 for quite some time now, and I have tried almost everything I can think of to fix it.

First off, I will describe the problem. When I go to start a new game for Half Life 2, and the "Half Life 2" in white letters fades in and then out, the game crashes to desktop with a datacache.dll error. Prior to this I had loaded several previous checkpoints, and after playing through various parts of the game, I eventually found out that the game would freeze and crash to desktop with the same error everytime I got to a checkpoint. So after this I began going around the web for help. The first place I went was http://support.steampowered.com/. I had gone through that whole site, done all the tests and done everything they said to fix it and nothing has helped. I have updated EVERYTHING; sound and video drivers, motherboard drivers, BIOS updates, nothing works. I emailed tech support twice, but the responses they provided me with did not help because they only gave me solutions that I told them I had already tried. Seemed to be some sort of auto response; I am not sure, but I do know it didn't help. One thing I noticed while troubleshooting on their site is that the problem went away when I entered -nosound into the launch options. From that I that deducted that is must be some kind of problem with my sound card. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. What is strange is that Half Life 2 has been working for a very long time, and now it sudddenly decides to malfunction. And I did not make any significant changes to my system. Other programs like CS:S and Gmod all work fine, but Half Life 2 is not working. It is only at the autosave checkpoints that this happens, and it goes away with -nosound. I know this means that I could just play with no sound, but who wants to do that?
Besides, the point is to fix it, not ignore it. One more thing I tried is noclipping around the checkpoint areas (which are very small) and continuing on. This also worked and I was able to continue on to the next checkpoint, but this is impractical because I do not have every single checkpoint and autosave point in Half Life 2 memorized (who does?). So, after figuring it must be something with my sound card (which worked just fine in the past), I decided I would try switching to my built in Intel Sigmatel sound device on my motherboard. This resulted in the same problem. I have also tried verifying all the cache files and reinstalling ALL of my steam stuff, even onto a different, larger harddrive. I first began to notice this when I tried playing SMOD: Tactical. I thought this may have been causing the problem, but after reinstalling everything, I figured that was likely not the case.

As I have stated, I have tried everything I can think of. I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's help and input on this subject.

Thanks in advance,

Tzarro

Give us your full system specs, although it is most likely to be a problem with your sound drivers/card.

I knew I forgot something in my long drone of self-pity. :p

Intel D945PSN Motherboard
Pentium D 2.8GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1900XT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS [Primary Sound Option]
Integrated Sound Device on Motherboard (Sigmatel High Definition Audio) [Alternate Sound Option]
Windows XP Pro

Let me know if you need anything else.

1)Does it crash at the "loading points" or the "autosave points"?

2)Did you update anything( drivers etc) before you started to get the problem?

3)Did you try forcing the game on mono? Or try different sound settings in game?

On another note your Pentium D is seriously bottlenecking your performance.

Well if you have tried everything that steam support recommends then there is not much I can recommend. There does seem to be some sound issue, have you tried turning down the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level"?
Apart from that have you tried sending help request from steam support?

It crashes at the autosave points, not the loading points. I know this partly because I can circumvent some of them by noclipping around.

As for updating before the problem, I am unsure, perhaps I will try reverting to an older driver to see if that works.

I have tried some of the different sound settings, but not sure if I have tried all of them. I will check this stuff out in the morning.

And yeah, I know my processor is slowin' me down. I plan on getting a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz and overclocking to at least 3.0GHz. That, along with the new motherboard I will need. :(

And Operational, I have tried sending help request to steam support. I thought they wwould have given me live feedback, but it wasn't helpful. Perhaps I gave the wrong info. I suppose I could try again.

Thanks guys, I will look into this stuff tomorrow hopefully because it is getting late here. I appreciate the feedback!

Or maybe try reinstalling the game... If you tweak your sound settings, after you're done doing that, save the newly found settings, and restart the game, and don't even TOUCH the sound settings while you play. :)

Well, I have tried disabling the autosave points, and that does not seem to have any effect. What I find strange is that -nosound solves the autosave problem entirely. At the tweakguides.com site, their method just makes the save file unable to be written to, it doesn't actually disable the autosave function itself. It just appears to because nothing can be saved to the file. That explains why they tell you to change to file to "read only".

I could be wrong, and I will try their method again. It is just that as I recall, it did not help me in the past.

And Van_Halen, I did reinstall the game as I stated in my first post, but I will see if I did change any of the sound setting (I do not believe I did) and attempt to remedy that if I did.

Even though I have performed both of these recommended techniques, I will try them again to make sure that they indeed do not solve my problem.

I will try to report back tomorrow to update my situation. Thanks for the help!

Back