Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Guide

Nice guide. I'll be reading it thoroughly. Not like I need any advice though. :p

Of course, there are several tricks not put in there such as shooting away Combine orbs without grabbing them, CTF Flag floating, etc. but all that will be put later.

nice guide.. i have a few questions/discrepancies though

Gravity Gun Jumping: GG Jumping is a special trick that allows a player to jump higher than usual. A giant object is required.

a giant object? define giant.. you can do it on many small object that i know of

Mouse sensitivity is a major part of the game as well. Generally speaking,the more experienced you are, the smaller your mouse sensitivity should be.

note: mouse sens also has a LOT to do with your particular hardware setup and mouse sens in your os' control panel setup.. 2.7 for you may be the same as 8.7 on my machine

that was about all i wanted to add.. it is a pretty good and accurate guide... n1!

i have a slightly different flavor of guides at my website that you might appreciate... i love movement tricks especially and spend some of my time exploring them.. check it out sometime http://www.noobiestyle.com

^^^

Link down (Not the guide) but the newbiestyle thingie.

Great guide, took time to read through it, nothing I didn't already know except for the crossbow going below the middile dot in the crosshair.

GG for the effort on this guide =)

A few things though.

Hmm.. the more experienced you are, the smaller your mouse sensitivity should be.. That's just plain wrong, sorry ;)

Both high and low sens have their ups and downs. Which is why lots of very good players have either.. In a sens it's like with invert mouse or none-inverte mouse. You'll probably fine good players using either. As long as you're used to wahtever you're using, it really doesn't matter much. Sure hitscan is easier with low and you get better reflex shots with high when sniping, but still, it's all about preference.

• AR: Assault Rifle (The Overwatch Standard Issue)
    Also known as the pulse-rifle in game.

• LMAO: Laughing My Ass Out
    Never heard that one before. Usually it's Laughing My Ass Off.

• SMG: Heckler & Koch MP-7 PDW
    SMG is short for Submachine Gun, just check the menu.

• phys_swap
    The button with this bind also switches back to what you were holding before you switched to the gravity gun.

• Crouch Jumping
    It won't really slow you down much if you turn correctly.

• with the USP or MP7
    There are no weapons with those names in the game.

I like the guide. Didn't know about crouch jumping.

Excellent guide! In some ways, it's little better than the one I wrote so I'm jealous. ;)

I have a few minor comments:
"Another thing to note is that the Crossbow shoots very slightly lower than the
middle dot of your crosshair, so remember that when sniping."

This appears to be true, but it's actually the effect of gravity on the crossbow bolt. So in a short distance, there is virtually no drop. And in low gravity (which I play in a lot, due to my love of the xbow), it has so far seemed to me that there is no gravity effect on the bolt.

"Also, never aim for the head."

I use the xbow and aim for people's heads all the time, and it works fine. I typically only do it when they are sniping and not moving, however.

However, I agree with all of your comparative analysis between the xbow and the magnum. I just can't hit a @#*! thing with it! I guess I will have to practice. I recommend you practice with the xbow, too. For extremely long range shots, I vastly prefer it.

Nice job!

When you say experts generally use smaller sensitivies, I don't think I can agree with you there. Small sensitivities generally restrict looking around, and take longer to get the crosshair on the enemy. Personally I have my sensitivity set up so I can spin around 180 with ease and another 180 in the same spin. "Experts" quickly develop a sense of how far the target is away from the crosshair and how much is needed to move it there, so a higher sensitivity would mean less time it would take it to get there.

Pesmerga said:
When you say experts generally use smaller sensitivies, I don't think I can agree with you there. Small sensitivities generally restrict looking around, and take longer to get the crosshair on the enemy. Personally I have my sensitivity set up so I can spin around 180 with ease and another 180 in the same spin. "Experts" quickly develop a sense of how far the target is away from the crosshair and how much is needed to move it there, so a higher sensitivity would mean less time it would take it to get there.

I just learned that when I found out somebody plays extremely well using like 500 sensitivity or something. He must have a good mouse or something as well...

Haha I can spin 180 just as fast as anyone with a hi sens.

It's got nothing to do with skill what sensitivity you use.

I've found that you should always aim for the head, unless you're using something insta-kill. or explosive.

Alot of the skill a DM player posesses, comes from the subtleties that are hard to teach. Mainly, learning the nuances of prediction and the psychology behind the game. My aim is good, but not godly, yet I come out on top alot of times simply because I have developed a solid intuition towards other players.....knowing when to rush, when to fall back, when to creep, how to fake around corners, back track...etc. You can learn all the tricks in the world but will still get smoked by a more observant and crafty player with simple, solid tactics.

Finger said:
Alot of the skill a DM player posesses, comes from the subtleties that are hard to teach. Mainly, learning the nuances of prediction and the psychology behind the game. My aim is good, but not godly, yet I come out on top alot of times simply because I have developed a solid intuition towards other players.....knowing when to rush, when to fall back, when to creep, how to fake around corners, back track...etc. You can learn all the tricks in the world but will still get smoked by a more observant and crafty player with simple, solid tactics.

Of course. Mind games and psychological skills > Technical Skills anytime. I learned that the hard way through fighting games. Outsmarting enemies is what the game is about. My guide is just for making you a little better.

The link to the guide doesn't work:

'There was an error, the resource could not be located'.

great, thanks SgtSpamBoy.
Great guide as well, have been trying to crouch jump for ages without success.

Mechagodzilla said:
I've found that you should always aim for the head, unless you're using something insta-kill. or explosive.

agreed

joule said:
Nice guide. I'll be reading it thoroughly. Not like I need any advice though. :p

Stop being cocky. I've played with you before. You're not that great. Not horrible, but not as good as you constantly imply you are.

Tantalus said:
Stop being cocky. I've played with you before. You're not that great. Not horrible, but not as good as you constantly imply you are.
Oh you have, have you? What's your name?

Tantalus said:
hehe pwned matty! you suck admit it :D

Yeah. You're both right. I'll admit it once and for all. I suck most definitely! :D

joule said:
Yeah. You're both right. I'll admit it once and for all. I suck most definitely! :D

<wants to do something wrong with that quote>

<doesn't>

Tantalus said:
Tantalus. I got 1st, you got 2nd.
Hmm. Must've been a long time ago. I don't remember playing you recently. Got a screenie?

If it's public I don't see how it matters. Do a 1on1 instead.

One map state side, one map on this side of the pond ;)

I choose dm_lockdown.

netrex said:
One map state side, one map on this side of the pond ;)

I choose dm_lockdown.
Aren't I planning to play Tantalus? Where's he from? Yes, Lockdown would be great.

Back