Half-Life 2 Does Has Bullet Penetration

SnowBall

Reaction score
I was just watching the new Bink trailer for half-life 2 and I noticed during a scene where the combine was shooting at Gordon, their bullets were going through the wall. its during the dry ocean floor scene where a combine throws a grenade at Gordon, and he picks it up and throws it back at the combine with the manipulator. If you watch the wall, you'll see the bullets comming through it and hitting the metal wall behind it.

If you play CS:Source beta you see that you can shoot through the main door.

Yep, some people actually complained about that already. I hope it's not the entire wall, but rather just the corner where there is the least concrete.

Bullets penetrated in CS, so I don't see why people are complaining.

Feath said:
Bullets penetrated in CS, so I don't see why people are complaining.

No, in CS after a while you'll know where you can hide or not, but in the HL2 single player, it'll be a bitch hiding behind a wall only to figure out that bullets can get through there.

well...

It took less then a full game for me to learn what bullets could penetrade, and what they could not in CS:Source. I imagine about the same for HL2, as the combine would all be using the same weapons really.

Wood crate = bad idea
concrete wall 2 feet thick: Yes
Cinder block = bad
metal = good

etc.

RomeoJGuy said:
Are you retarded they are both using the same engine smart one.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Half Life 2 use the same egine, and guess what they are totally different games with different parameters.

RomeoJGuy said:
Are you retarded they are both using the same engine smart one.

Be nicer.

Do you expect HL2 and CS:S to behave the exact same way?
Some things will obviously be different, and bulletpenetration is defenitely not a big thing to tweak/change.

What is it with the new guys that think they can come in here and be total pricks to eachother? For the love of god, show some freaking decency!

There are no wall penetrating bullets in HL2. If you guys were more observant, you'd notice that in that video, there's another guy in the distance standing on the crane. He's shooting at you as well and it's his bullets that are hitting the wall, not the other combine's bullets penetrating the wall.

CS:S may be the same engine, but bullet penetration isn't intrinsic to the engine itself. For CS:S, it was very likely added as part of the mod.

thats gay, it should like, chip the wall away instead.

Pi Mu Rho said:
CS:S may be the same engine, but bullet penetration isn't intrinsic to the engine itself. For CS:S, it was very likely added as part of the mod.

I don't think so, since everything is material based in the Source Engine, I believe some materials allow bullets to pass through.

McFace said:
I don't think so, since everything is material based in the Source Engine, I believe some materials allow bullets to pass through.

This can be switched on or off, just like in the first HL.

Pi Mu Rho said:

That is incorrect, every Texture file in Source has multiple settings. One of these settings is thickness, and other such settings which determine if a wall made with such texture is able to be shot through.

And I am not new here. I just recently got my account back. After some unfortunate incidents, but anyway regardless I could walk circles around you about the Half-life 2 tech. Im sure at least one person has visited my website, which I will not link for sake of not being banned and getting my site forever censored.

Just out of curiosity what was the walled made out of? I have seen rifles shoot through steel posts at the shooting range.

Also, usually concrete walls are just premade blocks staked on top of each other then cemented together on site and they are hollow inside. My rifle could shoot through the wall next to my house which is about a foot thick.

It also depends on the rifle the combines are using.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it, I am sure the devs are on top of it.

RomeoJGuy said:
That is incorrect, every Texture file in Source has multiple settings. One of these settings is thickness, and other such settings which determine if a wall made with such texture is able to be shot through.

And I am not new here. I just recently got my account back. After some unfortunate incidents, but anyway regardless I could walk circles around you about the Half-life 2 tech. Im sure at least one person has visited my website, which I will not link for sake of not being banned and getting my site forever censored.

Am I supposed to be impressed? I wasn't aware that this was a competition.

Regardless of whether or not materials contain that information, it doesn't mean that it's used in bullet trajectory calculations. It's optional. If you wanted a mod without it, you could have one. Just because CS:S uses it, doesn't automatically mean that HL2 uses it because they share an engine. It's not an intrinsic, unalterable behaviour.

We're well aware of your level of experience with the engine. That's what contributed to your leave of absence.

Ruuustar said:
There are no wall penetrating bullets in HL2. If you guys were more observant, you'd notice that in that video, there's another guy in the distance standing on the crane. He's shooting at you as well and it's his bullets that are hitting the wall, not the other combine's bullets penetrating the wall.

quoted for truth...

I also pointed this out in the previous thread on the exact same subject.

I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same though, bullets have a real hard time penetrating concrete while shooting through wood will be easier, instead of the old CS where you couldn't tell the engine which brush/model/entity was penetrable.

you can with a little code, but not for cs, obviously

well, there are no bullets in halfe life 2 :O

they are figments of your imagination...all you see is where it's shot from and where it hits because the bullet travels instantaneously across the map.

dugly said:
well, there are no bullets in halfe life 2 :O

they are figments of your imagination...all you see is where it's shot from and where it hits because the bullet travels instantaneously across the map.

Which is another pet peeve of mine. Why can't we have decent ballistics just once? :hmph:

I you watch it again, You'll notice that the bullets are not going through the wall, There is 1 combine soldier on the Crane that is shooting Gordon, thats where the bullets are coming from, its hard to see as gordon turns quick but you will see the muzzle flash.

just pointing out that in the original cs you could shoot through walls with most rifles. the only diff i see in source is now that pistols and sub machine guns can also penetrate.

:D Nice to see that bullet will finaly behave closer to reality. I've been working on balistics with various weapons and we have made a lot of penetration test on various materials.
You would be very surprised to see how bullets can penetrate far deeper than you can imagine.
For example a 308 cal bullet will cross 50 cm of pine wood. If you hide behind a tree you better choose a big one!! A same bullet can penetrate a 6 mm thick metal plate depending on jacket type and some 7.62 x 39 Kalachnikov have a hard metal penetrator core that can go throug a 1 cm metal plate at close range. So you better continue to shoot at each other in games not in real life!!
Even a 9mm parabellum caliber can penetrate a metal plate, we have made test to see if a car can protect you. The answer in no, FMJ bullet crosed the two doors and penetrated 10 cm in a wood block that was at the other side. So If you use a car to hide you better stay behind the engine.
So i hope that one day the game engines will have more realistic balistics. It will add much to the tactics if you had to choose your cover depending on the ennemy weapons and walls materials.

In real life you better take care of such things. I remember a friend who had a little "accident". He was showing me his new Spas 15 as a shot went out in his kitchen. The slug crossed the 15 cm brickwall and finished his trip in his neighbour bedroom !!!
You need a lot of diplomacy to explain your neighbour that you will have to repair his bedroom wall because you shoot through it!! :eek:

Smawg said:
thats gay, it should like, chip the wall away instead.

this isn't red faction, the half life 2 engine does't work like the geo mod engine, it's been discussed many times before as to why grenades don't cause holes in the ground.

No... but he had a nice history of posting beta leak stuff, and posting spoilers.

mmm, the beta leak days... talk about insanity at it's best, i bet the mods loved working the forums then. ^_^;

I get the feeling they'll be swearing a bit after the preload also. I can envision the cross-game spoiler wars ensuing. Some gimptard will inevitably do it just to be "cool". :p

Back