Half-Life 2 Hitboxes

Well, I think that the damage in HL2 will be similar to that of HL1. Like everyone else said, who wants to die after one shot. If you have the realistic damage, especially in single player, then it only promotes sneaking around and never taking any risks, cause who knows when that one stray bullet will zing into your eye. With a physics based engine though, any type of damage system will be able to be built into the mods relativly easy. I mean, look at action half-life. it has some of the best locational damage I have seen, limping, headshots, bleeding to death, ect.

The problem is really that variability in AI really requires gameplay payoffs to work. If things aren't deep and complex enough, what do you gain by having some soldiers run away and others stay? Or a different # of shots for each?

Now, if they could run away and THEN set up an ambush, that would be useful and fun. Basically, to support different personalities, you need a game deep enough to allow those "personalities" have to have room to show themselves in more than just a single action (especially when its one that simply makes them less effective)

Originally posted by Apos
Now, if they could run away and THEN set up an ambush, that would be useful and fun. Basically, to support different personalities, you need a game deep enough to allow those "personalities" have to have room to show themselves in more than just a single action (especially when its one that simply makes them less effective)
I agree. It's not so important to me if they have different personalities (though there could be some random variability among a choice of actions built in). But they should definitely react to getting shot, either defensively or aggressively, as appropriate. Too many times in HL1 if you shot someone and they couldn't see you, they would just stand there. Appropriate reactions would be to dive for cover and try to see where the attack is coming from, or to go on the offensive by advancing in the direction of the attack.

I think the AI in HL2 will be excellent in this regard. Watch the Combine troops that show up in Father Grigori's (sp?) place in the video, while Gordon is watching from the roof. The troops fan out and search the area-- one disappears down the dark alley opposite you to search it, and then returns. Mind you, the one trooper who started firing after you wiped out most of his mates with the girder, stood there while it swung back the other way. Maybe he was just dumb.

After lots of viewing of the HL2 video, i think there's still a fair way to go. The more i watch it, the more it just seems like a glitzed up HL1. Watch it a bit more and see the actual game, not the graphics, you may understand what i mean.

Also some of the graphics are very HL1-ish

Originally posted by Wesisapie
After lots of viewing of the HL2 video, i think there's still a fair way to go. The more i watch it, the more it just seems like a glitzed up HL1. Watch it a bit more and see the actual game, not the graphics, you may understand what i mean.

Also some of the graphics are very HL1-ish

True
Hopefully they made this because then as everybody like HL1, everybody will probably buy HL2.
If the game was going to be really different (by example if you cannot say that is a sequel to HL1) i'll never buy it. I don't want a graphical benchmark like Doom3. All i want is a game like HL1.

They did it, but with better graphics so i'm not going to complaint ;)

everybody will probably buy HL2
wow wow wow wait a minute, are you so sure?
Probably?The people is wait on this game, why you say will probably buy a game?

Back