Half Life 2 Keyboard controls.

Okay and now for the 1 and ONLY way to play = )

T = forward
G = backward
F = strafe left
G = strafe right

R = jump
Y = use
spacebar = duck (handy for crawling, use your thumb)

mouse1 = fire
mouse2 = alternate fire
mouse3 = reload
scrollup = previous weapon
scrolldown = next weapon

Thats like my basis key setup. The biggest advantage with this is that you have most of you keys within finger reach for various other options. Some people declare me nuts for useing this but movement feels exactly like WASD + i have more keys for xtra options :cheers:

I thought WASD was weird as anything.

Until I actually tried it for more than 2 minutes.

It is actually a much more comfortable and productive way to play.
Well it is for me anyway. I suggest you all try it at least once or twice. :)

Hmm, I used the wsad long before HL come. I started use that when I began playing QWCTF seriosly. I couldent manage the arrow keys any more, and I needed more buttons around that was easier to reach.

Originally posted by crushenator 500
does anyone actually use turn instead of strafe ??

developers seemed to quite a bit, if the default configuration of some slightly older games are anything to go by where its almost always set to turn and strafe is the , . keys.

Originally posted by Metatron
Okay and now for the 1 and ONLY way to play = )

T = forward
G = backward
F = strafe left
G = strafe right
Hmm you use G both for strafing right and walking back? I assume you mean H right?

Anyways I made an error in my earlier post where I typed never but I meant NEWER as in NEWER games. :):):dork:

Originally posted by _-_-SELAS-_-_
Hmm you use G both for strafing right and walking back? I assume you mean H right?

Anyways I made an error in my earlier post where I typed never but I meant NEWER as in NEWER games. :):):dork:

And I suppose you couldent edit the post instead? *cough* *cough*

Originally posted by Hipshot
And I suppose you couldent edit the post instead? *cough* *cough*

You can always check your posts for errors and mistakes before hitting submit, and for 15 minutes after for making corrections. More than enough time to check everything.

I will often write a post, check it quickly, submit, then check it again in the thread as its easier for me to read there, if I see a problem I'll fix it, if not I move on. No problems.

Anyway back on topic(ish) Anyone use their mouse movement to move? I've noticed a few times default settings have the mouse controlling forward/backward and strafing. Anyone use this method? I personally can't get used to it like that, I find it too limiting.

Originally posted by Fenric1138

Anyway back on topic(ish) Anyone use their mouse movement to move? I've noticed a few times default settings have the mouse controlling forward/backward and strafing. Anyone use this method? I personally can't get used to it like that, I find it too limiting.
Im wondering the same thing :)

I know someone that uses the right mouse button to move forward and 3rd mouse (wheel press down) for alt-fire.

I have an optical mouse and usually bind an extra action to the right hand button (button 5?). In Halo for example, I use it for the melee attack.

I started playing FPS with the arrow keys, and only really got into WASD with Quake 2, even then, arrow keys were the keys by default.

I'm 99% certain that HL2 was the first game that actually came WASD configured out of the box - but they also had the arrow key set up as 'option 2'.

Now I can't believe I used to play with the arrow keys, WASD just seems so natural.

Originally posted by czrsink
I know someone that uses the right mouse button to move forward and 3rd mouse (wheel press down) for alt-fire.

Thats what I do sometimes (but mostly with older games), now use the right button for jumping.

I'm sure there most be some people out there that use the mouse to actually move though, as in roll the mouse left or right to strafe left or right, push it forward to move forward, always pushing forward, picking up, putting down, pushing forward and so on. That must be painful after a while, great lower arm exercise I guess.

im going to let you guys in on a secret...

-----------------------------------------
Mouse 1 - shoot
Mouse 2 - forward
KP-8 - jump
KP-4 - strafe left
KP-6 - strafe right
KP-del - backpedal
KP-+ - use
KP-enter - reload
M-wheel -scroll weapons
PgDn - weapon special
KP-5 - Walk
KP-/ - Last used weapon

don't tell a lot of people though.. don't want it getting out...

Originally posted by nobodyspecial
im going to let you guys in on a secret...

Mouse 1 - shoot
Mouse 2 - forward
KP-8 - jump
KP-4 - strafe left
KP-6 - strafe right
KP-del - backpedal
KP-+ - use
KP-enter - reload
M-wheel -scroll weapons
PgDn - weapon special
KP-5 - Walk
KP-/ - Last used weapon

don't tell a lot of people though.. don't want it getting out...

May be great if you're lefthanded, but for righthanded this blows, very bad for your wrist, atleast for me.

I'm one of the few and proud ASDF users. Very rare I run into anyone else using it.

I still use the arrow keys and the surrounding buttons.

I also havea 5 button mouse which helps alot

Originally posted by southparksam
I still use the arrow keys and the surrounding buttons.

I also havea 5 button mouse which helps alot

Exactly! I use the same setup, I love 5 button mice, basically kills the need for alot of main keyboard bins

I almost ALWAYS change keys from default to match Half-Life's default key setup. There are some games I don't change though, like BF1942.
I ALWAYS use ASDF setup though, and space has to be jump.

I'm surprised to see so many WASD's here. I can only assume that your all crazy ;) anyways arrow keys are the way to go if you ask me, afterall they have arrows on them. Press the arrow that points forward to move forward... makes sense to me. As for newer games and mods with more controls like prone, sprint, lean... etc, I find a 5 button mouse very nice for extra controls like those.

Yeah, also, the insert - page down keys are good for prone/leaning/etc..

then, if I STILL need keys, I'll head for the numpad.. only problem is, in games with sprint, walk and duck, I can't comfortably find a third key to bind sprint to

any suggestions?

WELCOME TO ADRENALINE GAMER GUYS,
i present you weapon binds, really u get faster with weapon binds, anyway check this out
bind "ENTER" "+attack"
bind "SPACE" "weapon_gauss"
bind "," "+moveleft"
bind "1" "weapon_snark"
bind "2" "weapon_satchel"
bind "3" "weapon_tripmine"
bind "4" "weapon_handgrenade"
bind "a" "weapon_shotgun"
bind "c" "+back"
bind "d" "+use"
bind "e" "+forward"
bind "f" "+moveright"