Half-Life 2 Music

Reaction score
What do you think of the music we've heard so far in the demos we've seen. The Ambient tracks i've heard so far sound great, but in the scene where the roller mines cause your buggy to get caught on the cliff face, there is some pretty cheezy (IMO) techno music. Don't flame me for Criticizing something i have heard very little of, i just want to get some opinions.

I seem to rem the music for HL1 being very good (but not always that well timed), so I'm sure we can expect the music for HL2 being just as good. And from what all the reviews say, I'm sure the music will be perfectly timed :)

OrphanBoy said:
I seem to rem the music for HL1 being very good (but not always that well timed), so I'm sure we can expect the music for HL2 being just as good. And from what all the reviews say, I'm sure the music will be perfectly timed :)

I Dont remember HL 1 having music. Just some arb sound effects every now and again.

If you had the CD in the drive (and you should have done!) there was CD music.

Sharasment panda said:
but in the scene where the roller mines cause your buggy to get caught on the cliff face, there is some pretty cheezy (IMO) techno music.
What video was that in?

Sharasment panda said:
Soz, I forgot that with the Steam version you'd never have/need a CD!

With the original retail (Game of the Year ed) you needed the CD to play, and it had (I think) 20 music tracks on the it...

Actually the GOTY edition had more music on it than the regular did for some reason. I remember my friend had it and I had the original, and his had more music.

As for HL2, the music seems alright. I love the track at the end of the hoverboat sequence. I also love the ambient music-like sound at the beginning of the Striders bink (2003 one). I guess it is the sound the Citidel is making.

Is that the one which ends with Gordon blasting a Gunship? I recall it started to get really good when he tries to hit it with the shotgun...

Is it the same tune that's in the "new" coastline crane vid (Magnet)? I can't quite recall...

Coast is the one with the magnet, coastline is the other one. Yes they both have the same music. If thats what the thread starter was referring to as techno he is wrong (i cant find the right video to check)

from what we've seen and heared HL2 music/ambient sounds will be superb. i do agree however that the roller mines music part wasn't really that good.
cheesy techno music hits the spot but its only my personal preference.
best music part IMO till now was in the tenence scene, the mix of the combine guard knocking down the door and this "creepy and tense-suspention type of music in only this particular scence one of these moments that you will remember long after you completed the game.
im sure the music will make a great atmosphere in this HL2

BTW there is a VERY old video (one of the first - not bink)showing panorama view of the square with he horse sculpture and a strider walking beneeth a bridge which had the best music yet for HL... im unable to find it in any of the movies section
can someone plz send it to me if you know what im talking about

i always turn music off in all the games i play ......... so I also have never heard the HL1/OpF music.......

Sharasment panda said:
What do you think of the music we've heard so far in the demos we've seen. The Ambient tracks i've heard so far sound great, but in the scene where the roller mines cause your buggy to get caught on the cliff face, there is some pretty cheezy (IMO) techno music. Don't flame me for Criticizing something i have heard very little of, i just want to get some opinions.

i thought the coastline had some cheesy songs, i liked hte drum and bass of it, but the melody crap was really bad. the trailer for hte game had excellent electronica music, though.

Back