Half-Life 2 Music.

Do you care about a games music?

• No, i dont feel a great deal for good music.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Yes, good music in a game is everything!

Votes: 100 92.6%

• Total voters

-AnthraX-

Reaction score
How do you feel about in game music? For me music is a very important part that many games forget about and neglect. Good music that suits the atmosphere the game has makes the game much, much better in my own opinion because it amplifys the aura the game gives off by intensifying the moments you have in the game, making it an all round enjoyable experience you dont want to forget because you feel you are a part of it.
Does anyone have any demos or short music clips that we can expect to feature in Half-Life 2 when it is released?
Also what are you opinions about in game music and sounds in general?

Vote how you feel.

Thx,
-AnthraX-

//EDIT. Sorry moderators, forgot about the music forum :eek: . Move it if you want :cheese:

For singleplayer, having music is pretty cool. Half Life's music has some good tunes. For multiiplayer, it's a distraction.

YES!

Game music are almost everything for me (almost :D)

Game music will also be a major part of my mod, Malin. I just cant get enough old school game music!

Music in a game can be very powerful, almost essential to the games atmosphere and total quality. Much like a movie (Hans Zimmer = soundtrack producer ever!), a game's immersive atmosphere can be a score or a complete flop due to it's music. To most, music may not seem like an important aspect in telling a story but sometimes a movie or game's music can help tell the story. They say music (classical, trance, and soundtrack type of masterpiece) tells a story all in it's own. Try listening to Hans Zimmer's music from Pearl Harbor, for example. Sure, the movie wasn't the greatest but it's music was great in my book and it's great to listen to all on it's own. If you ask me, the music fit the movie perfect. Black Hawk Down - same thing. Games are transitioning into cinematic styled gameplay and the scores to games are starting to show this. Harry Gregson Williams did the music for Metal Gear Solid 2 (he worked with Zimmer on The Rock soundtrack). Bill Brown has done the music for the Tom Clancy games.

So basically in my opinion. Yes, music can make a break a game for me depending on the game of course. Sure, it's simple to just turn the music off but if I don't have to then the composer and designers did something right and that scores points with me.

Anyone heard the intro and outro tracks for the game Lineage II? its great!

Originally posted by Majestic XII
Anyone heard the intro and outro tracks for the game Lineage II? its great!

Nope, any links :D

thx,
-AnthraX-

Originally posted by STAFFp18
For singleplayer, having music is pretty cool. Half Life's music has some good tunes. For multiiplayer, it's a distraction.

My feelings exactly.

However, for a speedball game of deathmatch I tend to slam some 120 bpm rocker like "Click, Click, Boom" or "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor".

And yes, I know those tracks are dated, but that was SOF2 days. I s'pose I should update choices for HL2.

Yeah, fast paced deathmatching/battles deserve fast paced and loud music. Tactical battles should be quiet so you can hear your surroundings -> Games like Flashpoint and Raven Shield, maybe even CS.

Nice, cant belive i've never heard of this guy before, his music is nothing but sheer quality, i love this ambient sort of stuff.

He's like the Hans Zimmer of the gaming music industry (well, him and Harry Gregson Williams). Hans Zimmer isn't as well known as John Williams but his music is far superior in style although John Williams is still great (Star Wars anyone?).

Hans Zimmer's past work:
The Rock (the movie, not wrestler)
Black Hawk Down
Pearl Harbor
Crimson Tide
Peacemaker
Gladiator (oh hell yes!)
Days of Thunder (hehe)
Thin Red Line
Lion King..

Man, I can't plug this guy enough - go listen .. go go! Try and download Tennesee (from Pearl Harbor) or The Battle (from Gladiator).

The music in Mafia really set the mood, and Jespyr Kyd did the best game music I can think of in recent history for the Hitman games. The Crystal Method did a good job with Splinter Cell. The music from Barricade sounds like it suits the game quite well.

I'm looking forward to the music from Trent Reznor and Tool for Doom 3.

zimmer also did pirates of the caribbean.

I like halo's music, with the orchestral stuff instead of just techno rock.

The music, as I've stated before, in the forest level of Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time is completely awesome. I love the feel it gives the level.

I listen to Dale North times to times, he's very good too (he's a amature compared to Bill Brown and the rest of the gang, but that doesnt mean he's bad :D)

Im very glad that i got him in my mod team. Here are some song from him:

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/Christmas_NiGHTS_MerryLittleChristmas_OC_ReMix.mp3

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/Final_Fantasy_North_MEDLEY_OC_ReMix.mp3

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/Lufia_2_ChristmasintheVillage(SilverBells)_OC_ReMix.mp3

http://www.oneupstudios.com/_dale/Dale Still Loves Mia.mp3

The song aint game music, just listen to them like normal music :)

(i love the Christmas song and the "Dale still loves mia" song...kick ass!)

Music is essential unless you have some really eerie ambient sound like Doom3, but I don't think that would work with HL.

Music is another one of the senses that needs to be wrapped up in the story. Valve has commented on the type of music/sound that's going to be in hl2. It's going to be like a soundscape (land-scape) so that when you approach different areas in a map, different sounds are qued.
I really like the music in the Barracade video.

I hope it's like a cartoon. When you're tip toeing it goes "dun-dun-dun-dun", and when you're running it goes "dunununununun," and when you fight it goes "ewwww-WEEEEE! ewwww-WEEEEE!"

man i LOVED the hl2 music!

i mean remember when you first meet the marines! and you are coming up the elevator...the music starts to play that just gives the game gr8 atmosphere.

Klaus Bedelt did the Pirates of the Caribbean, not Hans Zimmer.

The soundtrack rocks by the way, I'm listening to it right now.

you should listen to ROAD TO PERDITION main theme it is sooo gr8

They put mp3 music on HalfLife1 SP over steam :)

I loved Halo's music. Absolutely fantastic.

The main thing when making music for a game is to make the music blend in so much you dont notice it when playing, but when you recall a special game moment you remember the tunes completely.

NOLF2's music was absolutely fitting, fun , and awesome. HL2's music is one of my favorites too, just like Tiberian sun (played that game a lil earlier today and was about to exit it just before i started listening to the music. Some of the tunes in that game are great and adds to the atmosphere.

Originally posted by Ares
He's like the Hans Zimmer of the gaming music industry (well, him and Harry Gregson Williams). Hans Zimmer isn't as well known as John Williams but his music is far superior in style although John Williams is still great (Star Wars anyone?).

Hans Zimmer's past work:
THE ROCK (the movie, not wrestler)
Black Hawk Down
Pearl Harbor
Crimson Tide
Peacemaker
Gladiator (oh hell yes!)
Days of Thunder (hehe)
Thin Red Line
Lion King..

Man, I can't plug this guy enough - go listen .. go go! Try and download Tennesee (from Pearl Harbor) or The Battle (from Gladiator).

I loved the Rock's music. Some of the best music in a movie ever. I ought to look this guy up.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Best music i ever heard in a game.
It was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu. Also Final Fantasy has good music, but never got me in the same way as CCs.

Best in game music i have heard in my own opinion are...

Homeworld, the good song.
Halo, the music on the menu.
Morrowind, Menu Music
Baldurs gate 2 charactor/race selection music.
Neverwinter nights ambient.

All excellent, i hope to add Half-Life 2 to this list :)

Game music:

Baldur's Gate (all the saga)
Final Fantasy (all the saga)
MGS2

Movie music:

The Rock

i love

road to perdition main theme sooo good.
gladiator
the love theme in "meet joe black" that is cool.
saving private ryan is cool music (main theme)
games.

hl music rocks
medal of honour music is so good.

Games with the best music ever for me are:
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Zelda OoT
Half Life
Various FF games
Neverwinter Nights
and
Xenogears

If a game has good music then I am far more likely to love the rest of the game.

I hope there will be some intense Single Player fast rock music during challenging parts of the game. That would be the shiz!:devil:
Game music is usually a good thing, unless it's rap, techno or anything that sucks (in my opinion).:afro:

atmospheric in sp is great, for mp get some drum n bass on :)

Watch movies without background music..............It suks
Play games without music..............it suks too

Music is very important element in playing games. Check your Poll and see how many poeple agree with me

You all are nuts. Monkey Island 2 using PC speaker! Seriously, best ever. Every character had a catchy theme.

Yes, bad techno is a lazy lazy way of going about it. Good techno beat: HL2! (the trailer) Why has no one commented on the music for HL2 we've heard so far? Sounds like an impending classic.

let me just say that I only though vice city was a GOOD game untill "video killed the radio star" came on the radio, then I knew it was a great game.

music is everything

Back