Half-Life 2 - Pre-Load Date

So...If I dont have the HL2 copoun that came with some ATI cards then I can't preload ?

Chris_D said:
Nah, but the guy did used to work here. He made the original site design and some of the graphics you'll see around the place.
There's also a former hl2.net moderator now working there as well.

It's really really awesome. But I'm gonna install the game from the CD's anyway, so I don't see the reason of pre-loading, unless it just makes things go faster. I can imagine that whatever pre-loads will still be in the install regardless. Pre-loading is just for people who plan to buy it online, in which it'd be crucial.

I can imagine a Gold Date much closer than 9/30. ;)

I'm curious though, seeing as how I only recently got a broadband connection and am new to steam, is there a way to tell when the download starts? Like, "Danger, Will Robinson, your hard drive is being depleted!" or, "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you play that."
I'm assuming that it will be similar to the CZ pre-load months ago, it will not pre-load secretly (will be status bar and you can even hit 'cancel' [for fools]), and I doubt texture and audio will be enough to smoke you HD if you're even thinking about having the full game in the future.

PS: Wow, did i just do parentheses inside parentheses? Would that make them brackets? /me head spins.

w00t, seems like HL2 isn't very far off. They'll probably pre-load the game a lot before release though. It's nice to see some stuff happening :)

ApocalypseNow said:
Im for you
Is it not possible that maybe Valve can be right?

Seriously, does it really matter to you what information they give? It seems like no matter what they say they are automatically be wrong to you.

ApocalypseNow said:
Hahhaha ummm yeah... they have over 30 different dates for hl2

uhm.. no? They've delayed it once. They haven't given a date since.

This is a good sign that we're getting closer to release, but nothing really to get all that excited about. It's just a marketing strategy to get more people to download it via Steam rather than buy it off the shelves, because Valve makes more money that way (I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just pointing out their reasoning). Have a bunch of people who can't wait download a portion of the game, and then they figure "Eh, what the hell, I might as well download the whole thing." I would download it if it weren't for the fact I have two PC's and would like to install it on both, and I figure that I can't do that via Steam.

I still stand by my 9/21 release date prediction. I think that at this point Valve has submitted their first RC, and it will be a couple weeks before it goes gold. Give it a couple more weeks to be manufactured, and you're looking at about 9/21.

I personally don't care wether i buy a boxed version or download it via Steam.

Your aguments with 2 PCs - well just burn the GCFs to a 50ct CD-R and copy it to your second comp or copy it via LAN - there's no need to download it twice.
Steam will accept your copied files.

All of these dates are probably right. The next date to be wrong is the HL2 release date.. again. :LOL: Just a few days or weeks off this time, of course.

The preloading of HL2 means they wanna ease the stress on their bandwidth... and not much else. We will NOT be able to play with those files, and nothing can go wrong with them. It WILL preload.

Javert said:
I can imagine that whatever pre-loads will still be in the install regardless. Pre-loading is just for people who plan to buy it online, in which it'd be crucial.
You can preload then register it with the CD-key from a boxed copy. That way, you can start playing immediately without having to install it. That's what I'm planning to do.

can you even preload it, if you don't have the CD key yet ?

This is positive news on the source beta for sure. But I have a question because recently I've had to email [email protected] with picture of my cd-key; cd; and receipt because I was one of the unfortunate people to get a duplicate cd cover with a duplicate cd key. Despite I bought CS-CZ new at compusmart I couldn't register it since it was duplicate. Now I'm waiting on vugames to get back to me with my new cd key. My question is if they don't get back to me in time for the pre-load or load phase which we now know is 18th for CZ then will I not be able to play the Source beta? What are the in's and out's of this please, somebody verify for me. Otherwise I'll be taking CZ back if I don't get to play the beta.

Euphoria!
Nice to get this kind of news while on vacation. One of the few stories i can be up to date on

Karis said:
All of these dates are probably right. The next date to be wrong is the HL2 release date.. again. :LOL: Just a few days or weeks off this time, of course.

The preloading of HL2 means they wanna ease the stress on their bandwidth... and not much else. We will NOT be able to play with those files, and nothing can go wrong with them. It WILL preload.

So I was wrong. A guy can be wrong can't he?

Back