Half-Life 2 Pre-Load Has Started

svet-am said:
If you notice, all of the online vendors have the exact same release dates. Valve nor Sierra nor Vivendi have released anything to the public and retailers don't have any extra inside information that we don't. EB's date is just a guess.

To bear witness to this, I am a big fan of Chris Sawyer's upcoming game locomotion. Atari and Chris Sawyer had not announced a release date until about a month ago. So, EB and GameStop, etc. had listed 12/1/2004 as the date. A few weeks ago when Atari announced the date, all of the vendors updated with the proper date (7 SEP). So, just be patient and don't put too much stock in those online release dates that fall on the first of a month. Good rule of thumb..most entertainment products are released on a Tuesday or Friday to maximize sales. (don't know why, but that's what my fiancee told me -- she's in the sales biz)

OMG svet-am...you just made my decade. Transport Tycoon Deluxe is the best game of all time - I had no idea Sawyer was making a sequel, I always thought he would concentrate solely on Railroad stuff. I still play TTD today. THANK-YOU :cheers:

Chadda said:
OMG svet-am...you just made my decade. Transport Tycoon Deluxe is the best game of all time - I had no idea Sawyer was making a sequel, I always thought he would concentrate solely on Railroad stuff. I still play TTD today. THANK-YOU :cheers:

No problem. I must admit, I think I'm more excited about LocoMotion than I am about Half-Life 2. (btw, that comment is lost on any who have never played TTD, so don't flame me until you've played it)

Damn, server is too busy.
Guess i was a litte late to start my Preload ;(

When I turn on Steam it doesnt do anything, just goes to the menu ...

svet-am said:
No problem. I must admit, I think I'm more excited about LocoMotion than I am about Half-Life 2. (btw, that comment is lost on any who have never played TTD, so don't flame me until you've played it)
That makes you flame-proof. Don't think the crowd, here, has the inclination to play strategy games.

I like the idea of them, but I'm just too twitchy. :cool:

blahblahblah said:
I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I preload. No reason to freak out right now. Its not like the HL2 preload is going anywhere. :cool:
Sensible, but happyness is...
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9402&stc=1 happy.JPG

Attachments

• happy.JPG
    happy.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 413
I want to pre-load, but i have a question. not all the time, but often enough, i re-install windows on my system. is there anyway to pre-load and obtain a physical copy of the game, or do you have to choose. i like the idea of pre-loading the game, but would really prefer a physical copy. will there be a way to put the preload to cd or dvd, so if i ever need to get it again i won't have to wait for the download

you could install Steam on a second HD.
or even a second partition of the same HD with Windoz.
then when you reinstall Windows, your HL2 is intact.

Could also burn the .gcf files to a disk then just re-copy them into the steam directory.

I want a hardcopy of hl2 on a cd..with package handbook and such things. Do i get this also when i order via Steam ?

I'm guessing from the lack of spoilers that there's nothing nasty in the cache. :D

I want a hardcopy of hl2 on a cd..with package handbook and such things. Do i get this also when i order via Steam ?
No. But as was said one post above yours, you can burn the cache files.

Maybe a verr stupid question.
I have an ATI voucher with a cd key printed on it. One hl2 is released will i be able to use that cd key with HL2? (becouse shipping from ati to me takes a couple of weeks, and i don't want to wait that long)

Yeah, if you preload now, and use your key upon release, you will get instant use of HL2.

well, they took thier time but well done Valve,

Im gonna buy my copy anyway,

but well done Valve!

James Isaac said:
So, if I'm buying it from a shop, there's no need for me to preload?
Indeed, all the files are on the CDs :)
I think, however, that you could preload it all and unlock it with the key that comes with your HL² box. This way you save yourself the time it takes to install the damn thing and start playing right away :)

so does this mean i will be able to purchase hl2 from stores soon? or will it be like, hell no, we just, eeeer, irritating more people by trying out our steam capabilties?

[RDH]MastahFrag said:
so does this mean i will be able to purchase hl2 from stores soon? or will it be like, hell no, we just, eeeer, irritating more people by trying out our steam capabilties?

This is how i figure it will work.
Lets say that HL2 is 3-4Gb full install (i have no idea here)

Week1 (this week) Preload starts
Week2 Speculation/whining
Week3 Preload2 starts
Week4 More whining
Week5 HL2 goes gold (yay) and a Release Date is announced (Week8)
Week6 Happy fans (and some whining)
Week7 Final Preload starts (full game?)
Week8 Decryption keys is sent to Steam buyers and Shops are invaded by HL2 fans.
Companys all over the world sues Valve because Internet has slowed down to a crawl.

If im not wrong this will be the first time a big MP game will be released all over the world at the same time?
Its gonna be interesting ;)

I like the way they want you to download a gig of files with no mention of what they will charge.

Think I will wait for the boxed version.

Wowbadger, there's already been a lot of games released simultaneously. Or at least within the same 1-5 days. Even HL2 will make it faster into some stores than others....

The only thing that's gonna be really simultaneously is the release for preloaders but I don't see anything interesting with that.

The only interesting thing would be problems with the unlock mechanism or keys... but then the simultanity of the release has nothing to do with this...

S.

it was busy at 9:00, busy at 3:00, and is busy now. Why is it, when they have SOOOOOOOOOO much bandwidth extra, that I can get none of it? I suspect they aren't loading all the servers with it for some reason, because while most of the North America servers are hardly being used, others are full.

Badmagic said:
I like the way they want you to download a gig of files with no mention of what they will charge.

Uh, $50? Probably cheaper since they get more money through Steam.

And so what, if you can't pay, delete the local content!

Badmagic said:

you can always buy a boxed copy and use the CD KEY to unlock it. the natural advantage to this is that there is no install to wait for. but, then again, that is what some people live for.

Or you can be smart like me and get a Ati Coupon for $20 and get it the second it comes out.

It takes 5minutes to install a game ffs, you can't wait that long after you buy a game?

As this has never been done before there are bound to be teething problems, I'll stick to buying at the shop. Maybe I'll download Half-Life 3.

The fact that the connection I am on is equivalent to a 33.6k modem plays a small role, too.

"As this has never been done before there are bound to be teething problems, I'll stick to buying at the shop. Maybe I'll download Half-Life 3." - HybridM

"I like the way they want you to download a gig of files with no mention of what they will charge. I think I will wait for the boxed version"
-Badmagic

It doesn't take 5 minutes to install....have you ever installed a game that was 3.5 gigs? Do you know how long it takes just to move that much information from a disk to your computer? It would take longer than that. But what's the big deal of pre-loading it from Steam? Everyone knows how much this will cost! It's not like Steam is going to say "HL2 is being released today, and if you're using Steam, the program we want everyone to use in the future, we're going to charge you $500.00 for the game!" Plus, we've all already used the pre-load thing for the Counter-strike: Source Beta, and it worked fine! And that was a Beta! So what's the big deal in using the most convenient technology available and download the game from Steam?

jackytreehornn said:

"As this has never been done before there are bound to be teething problems, I'll stick to buying at the shop. Maybe I'll download Half-Life 3." - HybridM

"I like the way they want you to download a gig of files with no mention of what they will charge. I think I will wait for the boxed version"
-Badmagic

It doesn't take 5 minutes to install....have you ever installed a game that was 3.5 gigs? Do you know how long it takes just to move that much information from a disk to your computer? It would take longer than that. But what's the big deal of pre-loading it from Steam? Everyone knows how much this will cost! It's not like Steam is going to say "HL2 is being released today, and if you're using Steam, the program we want everyone to use in the future, we're going to charge you $500.00 for the game!" Plus, we've all already used the pre-load thing for the Counter-strike: Source Beta, and it worked fine! And that was a Beta! So what's the big deal in using the most convenient technology available and download the game from Steam?

What's your point?

wow someones missing a few...

he explains his entire point out in detail, and then someone says 'whats your point?' the number of idiots on this plannet just keeps growing *sigh*

Chris_D said:
You can't play the pre-load. It's just caching some files in preparation for its full release in the coming months.

Please refrain from saying "release in the coming months" :rolling: It is against MY RULES!! :p

kevinb4567 said:

he explains his entire point out in detail, and then someone says 'whats your point?' the number of idiots on this plannet just keeps growing *sigh*

LMAO :cheers:

kevinb4567 said:

Thanks

Shurakai said:
Wowbadger, there's already been a lot of games released simultaneously. Or at least within the same 1-5 days. Even HL2 will make it faster into some stores than others....

The only thing that's gonna be really simultaneously is the release for preloaders but I don't see anything interesting with that.

The only interesting thing would be problems with the unlock mechanism or keys... but then the simultanity of the release has nothing to do with this...

S.

Im talking about a world wide release here.
Im not sure that has been possible before.

Subatomic said:
Holy crap, 3.1MB/sec
Who is your God-Blessed ISP?
and why do you use the even-more-boring gray theme :)

Comcast.

They usually suck, but they've decided to be nice to me today since I just came back from Myrtle Beach and haven't used my computer in a while.

I want a silver blue theme, just can't find one though

I cant get it running...it says all the servers are busy...damn it
I should try again in few !HOURS!
I thought they have enough servers - especially in this kind of action

Back