Half life 2 quits me to the main menu after finishing the first level. Need Help.

Insomain

Reaction score
I bought Half Life 2 for the first time today on steam =)

I got to the end of the first level where you open the door at the end of the hallway right after the two guards guarding the door down the street from the two guys talking about how the guards will find a reason to search their house, right after you climb up the latter and over the fire escape to get over the fence after you get out of the train station through the doors that appear after the guard that asks you to pick up the can and put it in the trash right after you open the door and walk up the stairs, and the game brought me to loading the main menu and brings up the start new game screen.

This start new game screen has the first six levels active and I have only beaten the first level! Chapters 2-5 don't start and I don't want to skip all the way to chapter six!!! This is a FRESH install and I really am clueless as to what I am supposed to do... I have played the first level from the stairs after you jump out of the window after talking to Barney 10+ times I can do it with my eyes closed now... If someone would please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it I have found no one that has had any of the same problem so I am forced to make a post which I rarely do.

Even though it's a fresh install, something probably went wrong, so first off, try right clicking on Half Life 2 in Steam, go to properties, then under the local files tab click "Verify Integrity of game cache", that usually works for me when the game does random things.

If that doesn't work and seeing your at the start of the game anyway, hit "Delete local game content" and reinstall it.

Thank you for the help I validated my files and that didn't work so I'm gonna delete the game and reinstall and cross my fingers =) That is a very useful tool and I'll have to try that first in the future.

Edit: Something I didn't notice before but now I am seeing the download starting at 75% and the last 25% takes as much time as a full install would at 1.7 MB/s but it is over reading my download speed to be 4.1MB/s. Messed up.

Same thing has been happening to me, just starting yesterday. It happened at the same place. I've had Half-Life 2 for a while now, and I just felt like playing it again. It worked before, but I haven't been able to fix this yet.

EDIT: I figured out what was happening. It for some reason couldn't find the map files so it booted you out of the game. I don't know how I got it working again, but I did.

update?

i think it might have to do with the update they released before i played today it said it was updating then after i tried to play it wouldnt load any games or anything i had to start over i was thinking maybe bc i defragged my hardrive and something got corrupt but i cant be when its happening to a few others so i hope they fix it soon

Back