Half-Life 2 Reboots my PC!

P

PhAtfiSh

This is stupid, it REBOOTS my PC during the first loading screen. Even the leaked beta from E3 didn't do that!

Well played valve, im going to have lunch...

Sounds more like a driver issue than a valve problem to me.

yer it could be. My drivers are a little old. But they work well with Quake3. (some newer forceware drivers didnt like quake)

But reboot! why does it reboot? That could potentially damage my PC.

Ill upgrade my drivers in a bit and see.

yeah. and starting your car could potentially cause you to explode. Do it. Its rebooting because of a software conflict caused by your procrastinating ass not keeping drivers up to date.

Guess what, it rebooted my PC again. After the new driver install. It made it to the menu this time tho. So at least i got to see that. Sigh..

heh , i doubt that. Ive had this PC for like 3 years. Geforce3 and 1.4ghz AMD, cooled case.

Its HL2 that causes the problem, no other game ever rebooted my PC.

The steam forums are conveniently closed, so i cant even get support.

It's not your drivers and it's not the age of your system, HL2 and CS source are doing the same to me. My system is new P4 2.6 GHz, 1GB RAM, Geforce 6200. It runs at around 85-90 F for CPU and GPU is around 95-100, all at or within exceptable/normal ranges. But steam will load fine, but as soon as I start one of the newer source based games my computer reboots, Vavle has answered twice first time they said to see the answers section (I mentioned to them that I had all ready tried that but they sent me back to it anyways). The second time they treid to say it was drivers and to update them, I told them I have treid the newest, and older ones (5 sets all together.) I am now waiting for a third response which if the past has been any indication will be at least another 3 weeks.

Stop reviving old threads. You'll get banned faster than lightning.

Well, at least its on topic, but I think the subject is slightly outdated.

exactly how old are we talking about?

anyways, try drivers again

I hate to bring up "an old thread" but i am having the rebooting problem too. seems to me that the game hates the geforce 6200.

Wolfie0827 said:
It's not your drivers and it's not the age of your system, HL2 and CS source are doing the same to me. My system is new P4 2.6 GHz, 1GB RAM, Geforce 6200. It runs at around 85-90 F for CPU and GPU is around 95-100, all at or within exceptable/normal ranges. But steam will load fine, but as soon as I start one of the newer source based games my computer reboots, Vavle has answered twice first time they said to see the answers section (I mentioned to them that I had all ready tried that but they sent me back to it anyways). The second time they treid to say it was drivers and to update them, I told them I have treid the newest, and older ones (5 sets all together.) I am now waiting for a third response which if the past has been any indication will be at least another 3 weeks.
I think there is a major problem with Geforce 6200 cards. There has been a number of threads on the Steam forums. I suggest you have a look at these threads: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=3217436&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

As with PhAtfiSh, I think it is a driver problem if he's using old drivers.

I have the same problem and almost the same hardware as Wolfie0827 including the GeForce 6200, 256 Mb video card that I installed after I had started playing the game and I also have the same problem with HL2 rebooting my computer. I even tracked down a beta driver from Nvidia (recommended by Steam). I still get re-booted when I start the game. Love the game but it is no good if you can not play it.

It reboots your PC? That's interesting. I haven't trained mine to do that yet. But my Half-Life 2 mows the lawn, does my laundry, and cleans my dishes!

It might be something to do with the PSU (Power supply unit). If the hardware is underpowered, it can cause restarts/crashes under stress.

I'm having a similar problem. I can get to the main menu, but when I press new game, start new game, the intro movie plays. after a few seconds (when you see the guy talking) my screen goes off and sometimes my computer reboots and sometimes I have to press the reset button. oh and i forgot this. sometimes it crashes with stuttering, and sometimes it just goes off.

This also occurs with CS:S and half life deathmatch although with deathmatch it takes about 10 min.
this problem is really irritating me. and i dont think my pc likes all that rebooting either.
I'm running on:

Asus a8v Deluxe socket 939
amd 3500+
Geforce 6600 gt 128 mb
512 RAM
win xp service pack 1

Change Video Card

I changed my GeForce 6200 256Mb video card to an older card and HL2 runs just fine now. No more re-booting. Thanks wolfie0827.

I think this might be caused by your power unit, find out what wattage it is, if its below 400, buy a new one.

If the PSU isn't giving enough power to run the game, the PC will shut it self down for safety.

Shodan said:
I think this might be caused by your power unit, find out what wattage it is, if its below 400, buy a new one.

If the PSU isn't giving enough power to run the game, the PC will shut it self down for safety.

Nope, it's 450 W
Other suggestions?

yeah. lol, it might be that but make sure you get a PSU that supports your mother board. obviously if you got a PSU that runs higher than the max input of the motherboard, it would melt.

Try resetting your BIOS first via the jumper inside your PC, and don't overclock it in any way, sometimes that cause's PCs to restart.

EDIT: unless you haven't yet get SP2 for XP. Sorts out other issues that might be related to it restarting!

SpArKs said:
yeah. lol, it might be that but make sure you get a PSU that supports your mother board. obviously if you got a PSU that runs higher than the max input of the motherboard, it would melt.

Try resetting your BIOS first via the jumper inside your PC, and don't overclock it in any way, sometimes that cause's PCs to restart.

EDIT: unless you haven't yet get SP2 for XP. Sorts out other issues that might be related to it restarting!

All right, after the exactly same error occurred with FEAR, I thought that having SP1 was the issue. Not.:angry: I am now running on SP2 but it still reboots during the game. Could it be a cooling problem? or something that I have to change with my videocard settings?

How can I check if my PSU supports my motherboard?

user2201 said:
How can I check if my PSU supports my motherboard?

Look for the model number on the motherboard, then check there web site for the spec's(while your there look up max operating temp. and compare it to what your BIOS says). Or look in the manual, if its custom built that is. Then compare it with the max load on the PSU they should be equal. e.g PSU = MAX OUTPUT 500W. M/BOARD = MAX INPUT 500W.

i cant find it on the site nor in the manual. my apoligies for being a total nOOb, but could someone else look it up?

This issue is very old. Its a total system crash. Disable reboot on system crash in your windows xp options and instead you'll get blue screen of death. The blue screen of death will tell you that a Nvidia DLL caused the crash. Back when the game first came out the only fix i found for it is to roll back to older nvidia drivers. But now It seems that if HL2 is full updated and windows xp is at SP2 and latest nvidia drivers will not cause any crash. This issue is surely nvidia related. update everything.

lol. it was the power supply cord of the gpu that the guy forgot to plug in.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. are running great.

Back