Half-Life 2 Screenshots w/ Motion Blur

Wow so many replies!

Para, how did you do that? That's what I was talking about!

Did you use Photoshop like me or did you use some trick that you HAVE TO teach me?

LittleB said:
Wow so many replies!

Para, how did you do that? That's what I was talking about!

Did you use Photoshop like me or did you use some trick that you HAVE TO teach me?

I'm pretty sure he said he used a pre-set effect in post.

I've been making a post processing program, will post it soon.

Sorry, but it doesn't support .tga's (it will support most other formats though such as jpeg, bmp, tif...)

Rendered the video at 250fps and sped it up so it was nothing fancy. RabidJester just linked to the thread where I explained the method a bit better.

Para said:
Rendered the video at 250fps and sped it up so it was nothing fancy. RabidJester just linked to the thread where I explained the method a bit better.

Yeah, but noticed how I linked it right to my tutorial?

I'm such a whore.

Damn, my program (with the dll's it uses) is too large to attach as a zip, can anyone host a 2.5MB file?

Para said:
Yes, I noticed. Nice tutorial btw.

Thanks. I am, in fact, a braggart and a scoundrel. But I write a decent tut every now and then.

mmm yes please, someone host the file. ive got space - but i dont think it cant handle the hundreds of downloads that i expect will commence :S

I can email it to a few people who want it before it get's hosted if that's easier, just PM me or something.

The blurred video looked sweet, with the exception of the textures near the bottom of the screen (the road). :D

I didn't know what this was all about, the blurring and such, until I saw it :)

so, what is more like real life, full averageing , or ghost averageing?

The way i've done it, it's ghost averaging (if that's what i think it is).

I simply blend the previous frame with the current one.

It works pretty well, and has good results though. :)

that video just feels good when im watching it

it feels much more realistic and its really smooth!

if only we could render it real time...

I'm working on one right now. 10 samples per frame! Hooray

and to think that i get annoyed at my laptop lcd's low refresh rate leading to frames blurring together :D

granted, not quite as smooth, having no interframe content...

but seriously, i don't much care for motion blurs, even in real life. I *like* seeing things clearly, as fast as my eye lets me see them (faster than that would be better). If you want realism, let your eyes' persistence of vision do the blurring, it's not the rendering engine's job (unless you're rendering static scenes in which for some reason you want a blur to be visible).

on a related topic, i don't like depth-of-focus blurring in real life and photography either, and rather like it that all objects in games are in perfect focus, regardless of position relative to the focal point of our eyes or the camera. But if you want realism, I think that would be a much more apparent improvement (and probably easier to implement) than inter-frame sampled motion blurs, since a flat screen has no other way of producing a depth-of-field effect.

just my 2 cents

Dammit it's taking such a long time blending together every ten frames to make a movie! And there's no free framerate downsampling proggies :(

LittleB said:
Dammit it's taking such a long time blending together every ten frames to make a movie! And there's no free framerate downsampling proggies :(
I hope you're using a fast graphics library like OpenCV.

wow, that video [cruising] was excellent.

/me dreams for realtime.

surely someone can make a mod :(

Back