Half Life 2 SLI Shuts Off

O

ohnnyj

This is as much an observation as it is an annoyance. I have two BFG 6800GTs hooked up in SLI and when it works it runs fast, however, I am noticing that at times it seems as though in HL2 at least that SLI will stop working. For instance I would be at a scene that is rather intensive and the fps drops to somewhere in the 20-25fps range and then if I exit out of the game and reload sometimes it will kick SLI into action and I will pull 40-60fps in the exact same scene. Is this a problem that anyone else is experiencing?

Thanks.

BTW: I am using driver version 66.93 w/the latest 6.39 forceware drivers on the 1002 BIOS release for my ASUS A8N-SLI.

Aren't some people pulling frame rates of over 80fps even on intensive scenes with the 6800GT or x850 XT?

I get 40 fps on high graphics during intesive scenes with a 9600 pro..

I have max everything (except VSync cause I get purple materials :( ) and I get like a consistent 100 in some scenes even...

I have a 256mb GeForce 6800 GTO... You should be pulling like 200 FPS minimum :p

I have two 6800 GT's running in SLI mode and im getting above 100 fps all the time.

Running on a Asus P5DGC Deluxe with a 3.6 ghz p4 socket 775 800 mhz fsb, with 1 gig of cosair extreme ddr2 .

What settings are you using?

I am running at 1920x1200 w/2xAA 8xAF Reflect All.

With dual 6800gt's you should get no lower than 80 fps and a a high of like, 110. I don't think it's Hl2 thats doing it, you should check everything in the videocards path, hardware and software

1600x1200 Reflect all and no AAx2 and also 8xAF.

Have to say though Abit off topic :p, when running in 1600x1200 with no AA I cant really see the difference then when its enabled, might just be me though :D

SLI = too much money, game was designed to run on one card.......

SLI probably wont been needed for a while and I think games have to be optimized for them...

As you can tell SLI does not equal the shit :E

Chris_D said:
Aren't some people pulling frame rates of over 80fps even on intensive scenes with the 6800GT or x850 XT?

I'm getting 80+ fps with a AX800XT PE

shoman24v said:
SLI = too much money, game was designed to run on one card.......

SLI probably wont been needed for a while and I think games have to be optimized for them...

As you can tell SLI does not equal the shit :E
:cheers: Exactly what needed to be said

sutty said:
I have two 6800 GT's running in SLI mode and im getting above 100 fps all the time.

Running on a Asus P5DGC Deluxe with a 3.6 ghz p4 socket 775 800 mhz fsb, with 1 gig of cosair extreme ddr2 .
this is not possible...
and i will prove that we have another noob in need of xtermination

[proof]
Asus P5DGC Deluxe only supports one PCI x16 lane, thus only 1 graphics card.
[/proof]

[flame]
showing off specs of a computer that you don't have, much less one that doesn;t exist doesnt prove anything, except for the fact that you're an idiot.
[/flame]

Wish I had enough money to afford 2 6800 GT's.

I think if it was possible I would rather have dual x850 XT's though.

*get's lost in thought..*

Right now I am NOT at all impressed with the benchmarks of SLI. The only benchmarks worth bragging about is in 3DMark03 and 3DMark05, I am happy with my with my 3DMark03 score of 12,551 as an X800XT PE. Untill the box of a game states dual video cards needed for maximum playablity I won't be wasting my money on $1000 worth in Video cards.

Im not impressed with SLI eighter, not only do you need two cards wich is alot of times better with just taking the bigger model, also u need a more expensive motherboard and the programs needs to be made with SLI in mind... its cool but its still too "new" (yea voodoo had it a long time ago) to be of real effect yet.

Sainku said:
I get 40 fps on high graphics during intesive scenes with a 9600 pro..

I get roughly around the same frame rate for my 9800SE, but stutters like hell because I'm working with 244MB Ram (my 512Mb Ram is being used up for Norton, my ATI Card and other stuff)

Iced_Eagle said:
I have max everything (except VSync cause I get purple materials :( ) and I get like a consistent 100 in some scenes even...

I have a 256mb GeForce 6800 GTO... You should be pulling like 200 FPS minimum :p

That Vsync thing happened to my freind who also has a 6800gt. To fix it, just turn on vsnyc, quit the game, then start it up again. And BAM, no purple stuff!

Back