Half Life 2 Squad Commanding

Reaction score
At 10:15 in the E3 movie, during the strider scene, Gordon's HEV status view has a little box in the right that says "SQUAD FOLLOW"

Is this indicative of some sort of squad commanding thing for battles. EG: Freedom Fighters?

What do you think?

yur right, i think it would be soemthing like that cause i can see the shape of 3 people in his squad above the text. Good find.

You can probably select the people you want on your team..I also heard you can tell them to move where you want.

In PCZone, Gabe says "There are also specific commands you can issue to the AI. You can play the whole game without using this system, but if you like more direct control of the people around you during combat, it's there to be used."

Ya, i noticed it in some of the screenshots a couple days ago but the thread died...

Damn, never noticed that! I keep on learning new things. Very good. Looks like a helpful feature.

When we get the game ill be like, Follow! and watch them run right into the line of fire, or better yet get right behind me so if i need to backup to avoid damage, I know I can always count on them to get me killed :D Good times

In b4 close!!

I think it's fine that people talk about stuff they don't know about, as long as there are a couple of other people who don't know about it

i'm just interested to see how they integrated that feature. how can you be shooting striders and giving good commands?... will it be sort of like rainbow six series?

Coool, you can tell them: "Go in the battle and die for me, im gona take some Chips and Cola to drink. :D

They've already said that you cant just send them out into battle when ever you want.

If the odds are really against them, they will say no to you.

They are just people anyway :E .

Sounds cool, I had no idea about this, but I am more for it than against it, since it is not critical for completing the game. Im sure Vavle still put the feature in the game to give you a more "combat" experience while playing, but they are good enough with there games that it wont detract form the action and explosion feel. In Opposing Force you could command a small squad, not very well, but still command. I thought that it was a great feature in the game and made me feel better about playing it. I hope HL2 puts this in better.

Back