Half Life 2 Steam Buying! Help with the extra tax!

ItchyFish

Reaction score
Erm, im buying this game over steam and it says it costs $49.95 ( £28 ) but it says + TAX. How much is the tax on this? Im in the UK and want to buy this game on steam, is it going to cost more?

How much is this goiong to cost in total for me?

Please be quick i want to buy this NOW so i can play : (

iF>

probably about $8 (4 - 5 GBP) tax. I had to pay an extra $10 tax for the silver option.

ItchyFish said:
Erm, im buying this game over steam and it says it costs $49.95 ( £28 ) but it says + TAX. How much is the tax on this? Im in the UK and want to buy this game on steam, is it going to cost more?

How much is this goiong to cost in total for me?

Please be quick i want to buy this NOW so i can play : (

iF>

$76.34 dollars more.

6iXx said:
probably about $8 (4 - 5 GBP) tax. I had to pay an extra $10 tax for the silver option.
seriuosly!? I had to pay $15 more in sweden.. how come, one wonders..

Its 25% in Denmark... And Im thinking about the gold edition but only if I can preload and then get the retail box later.

Including VAT:
Bronze - £32.90 Pounds
Silver - £39.95 Pounds
Gold - £59.34 Pounds

If it's state tax (for here atleast) it'll only be 6% for me

but i doubt that

i didnt pay any tax, i live in norway.. on my netbank it showed i had been charged 340NOK (norwegian kroner) which is exactly $49.95

2mass said:
i didnt pay any tax, i live in norway.. on my netbank it showed i had been charged 340NOK (norwegian kroner) which is exactly $49.95

Hmm, Norway is not part of EU... a Valve loophole? ;-)

Gold actually comes to £76 in the UK, the shipping and handling was $30 (£16)!

Needless to say I decided to drop down to silver...

no tax for us kiwis. Shiipping 30usd tho, not bad still.

Pjotr said:
Hmm, Norway is not part of EU... a Valve loophole? ;-)

hmm..maybe thats the explanation.. anyway, im just happy i got it cheaper :p

Epsi said:
Gold actually comes to £76 in the UK, the shipping and handling was $30 (£16)!

Needless to say I decided to drop down to silver...

whoa..I converted 76 pounds to american dollars, and it comes out to $135.75

I'll take silver thanks

Usually there will be a 24% tax on most everything here (Norway), but the receipt says $49.95 Total. :)

mine didn't have any taxes? lol

Product Cost
-----------------------------------------------
Half-Life 2 Silver $ 10.00

Tax (Canada) $ 0.00

I wonder if there is any tax for shipping to Az. Maybe Tax just applies to WA and International sales? That makes sense to me cause I dont get charged Tax when I buy from Newegg Cause it shipps from CA.

Black-Falcon said:
I wonder if there is any tax for shipping to Az. Maybe Tax just applies to WA and International sales? That makes sense to me cause I dont get charged Tax when I buy from Newegg Cause it shipps from CA.

In the US you only pay sales tax when buying from the same state within the US. In most other countries sales tax is added regardless if you buy from within the country or mail order from abroad.

If you purchase an item while abroad, within the EU, you pay sales tax in that country and do not have to pay any tax or difference when you bring the item home.

If you purchase an item outside the EU, you can normally get the sales tax back as you leave the country at the airport, but then you must pay tax as you arrive in your EU country and post the evidence to the original country to get the tax back from that country. Needless to say, since sales tax is usually higher in the EU than abroad, it's a losing game and you don't bother.

Back