Half life 2: The 7 hour war

it does seem rather strange that a strider could be taken down with a few rpgs when, using the same sort of physics/explosive model, a tank bullet would blow a strider clear off the ground. 7 hours seems rather short for a world-wide invasion, but perhaps the next expansion will reveal what happened, whats happening, and perhaps what is to happen (though all three will inevitably remain a mystery to some degree or another).

Gabe: Sorry guys, we can't think of anything else to put in. The G-Man is really Father Times assistant, and the Combine were just an idea we had while being stoned. As for the rest of the story, it can be modded in.

lol...I just laughed out of my chair thinking of that.

Mind If I ask who Col. Sheperd is? I have beaten HL2 already, but missed a few parts of the story (and want to find all the secrets), so I am playing through again on easy (beat it on hard first time around :p, damn easy is so..... EASY! hah). I don't remember a Col. Sheperd from HL1. Who are we talking about? Does this have something to do with the Opposing Force expansion? Wasn't your character Col. Sheperd in that? Is Col. Sheperd the guy who gives you the rocket launcher?

Heil ok vel,
Intox

You ARE Col. Shepard in Opposing Force, one of the American(!) marines that were sent into Black Mesa (which we now learn is located somewhere in Europe) to clean up the mess and kill Gordon Freeman. Remember all those marine grunts you killed in HL1? Col. Shepard was one of them, only his dropship crashed into a different part of Black Mesa.

If you bought HL2: Silver, or HL2: Gold, or entered a valid HL1, DOD: Retail, or CS: Retail cd-key into steam, you should have Opposing Force in your "My Games" list already. I would really recommend playing through it, as it is quite interesting.

Bear in mind that a totally new race of aliens makes an appearance in this game, which suggests that a lot of alien races jumped at the opportunity to take control of earth after the resonance cascade. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this race too was later enslaved by the combine, just as the Xen race first was in HL1, and then the human race later was in HL2.

EDIT: And that guy who gives you the rocket launcher is some other random dude, he was British, not American however.

Having a Shephard "7 Hour War" expansion would make very little sense. The G-Man has an agenda, so why would he waste his time sending him against the Combine?

Something tells me the G-Man knows exactly when and where to plant his pawns; so if he wanted Shephard to help repel the combine in the 7 Hour War, then humanity would have won.

The fact that we lost the war seems to hint at the fact that the G-Man didn't have any role in it.

Quelaar

Quelaar said:
Having a Shephard "7 Hour War" expansion would make very little sense. The G-Man has an agenda, so why would he waste his time sending him against the Combine?

Something tells me the G-Man knows exactly when and where to plant his pawns; so if he wanted Shephard to help repel the combine in the 7 Hour War, then humanity would have won.

The fact that we lost the war seems to hint at the fact that the G-Man didn't have any role in it.

Quelaar

Might not of been to rebel, but Shepherd could be used in the early stages of the war to help keep people like Eli, Alyx who would be much younger, Mossman, etc, alive, and help set up the resistance in City 17. It would also help fill in the gaps between where Halflife1 left off and Halflife2 starts, detailing the Xen invasion, the portal storm, the combine invasion and the start of the resistance.

Back