Half-Life 2 -- The Success Continues

Reaction score
Vivendi Universal has recently released information on sales for Half-Life 2 on their website, and despite only being out for a little over two months, the game has already managed to sell a whopping 1.7 million copies worldwide.
Half-life 2, the follow-up to the hit 2000 Half-life, is already clocking up a massive success. With nearly 1.7 million copies sold in less than two months, this new release by Sierra Entertainment (a VU Games company) and Valve looks set to become one of the biggest hits of 2005. Sales have been particularly good in Germany, the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia – as well as the US.
It is unknown whether this number includes Steam sales, though it isn't likely as Vivendi probably wouldn't monitor those figures, only being in charge of retail distribution. Still, it is rare for a PC game to sell this high a number in such a short time, so congratulations to everyone at Valve and Vivendi Universal.

Sweet, and with good reason.

Just as a comparison, does anyone know how many copies Doom 3 sold in this time frame?

Now imagine those sales figures WITH steam included!!

Good grief, where on earth did that 2 million figure I've been spouting come from then? :eek:

We should know unofficialy the aprox number of steam sales soon; valve is releasing the "trip to valve" winners. Remember it is 1 for every 5,000 copies sold over Steam. However many people win, multiply that by 5,000. For example, 100 winners = 500,000 steam sales (100x5000). That should give us a pretty good estimate...

W00t I posted this a while ago.

Negative.

There where about 250-350(cant find article) pre orders. Apparently the 2 million people that bought off steam was bullshit, going on how many people I saw on average playing CS: S I would put that number around the 30-70k mark(still amazing for a new system) And since christmas there has been a rise of about 1 million average players 140k too 250k

So we are looking at without any sales figures to guide us, about 1.5 million sold mark.

P.S. take theese number with a grain of salt because I have no idea about the actual figures I am using knowledge gleamed from various articles and stats on steampowered.com

I should become a sales analysist :p

We can't judge the number of people who play half-life 2 by the numbers of people connected to CS: S on steam, for obvious reasons. 1.7 mil is impressive enough; let alone that there might be more!

Anyone know if this + steam sales is more than the first 2 months of Halo2 sales? If so then i have some friends to laugh at!

SuperTank said:
I wonder how many copies of Half-Life(1) has been sold.

Over 12 million.

edit: ^Ben, you also seem to forget that there are people who bought HL2 and used it with their Steam account. ;)

No halo 2 sold over 1 million copies iirc on it's first day.

Console games have always outsold their PC rivals but games like half life had staying power, selling well over what halo 1 will ever sell.

And don't give me half life has been out longer because then I will just point you at console selling trends.

^Ben said:
But I was only 200k sales out ;)

It probably would have been cooler had you told us, before they released the numbers. :rolleyes:

^Ben said:
And don't give me half life has been out longer because then I will just point you at console selling trends.

Half-life has been out longer?.. I would like to see the selling trends.

TheOriginalEvil said:
It probably would have been cooler had you told us, before they released the numbers. :rolleyes:

20-01-2005, 06:37 PM Is when I posted those figures.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you got the meaning of my last question so I won't bother explaning it.

filmguy123 said:
We should know unofficialy the aprox number of steam sales soon; valve is releasing the "trip to valve" winners. Remember it is 1 for every 5,000 copies sold over Steam. However many people win, multiply that by 5,000. For example, 100 winners = 500,000 steam sales (100x5000). That should give us a pretty good estimate...

Thats only gold.

But WOOT WOOTO WOTOW YESS Happy for valve :)

^Ben said:
20-01-2005, 06:37 PM Is when I posted those figures.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you got the meaning of my last question so I won't bother explaning it.

20-01-2005, 06:37 PM
What Thread?

And yes I completely get the meaning of the question, I want to see your proof you offered.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69055

On any gaming platform there is a critical 2 weeks where the bulk of the sales of most games will go, with consoles after about 1 year the sales of said game will essentially go flat because everybody who wanted the game would have got it(unless they do some kind of promotion where it's sold with the console)

P.C. games are different because you have brackets of gamers, some with P.C's that cannot play the game and some that are going to wait untill they have better P.C's to play the game, and then theres Auntie Jill who just got a P.C. that could play the game and buys it for herself when she wasnt really a gamer herself.

And then we have to factor if a killer MOD that will further bolster sales.

So it comes in shifts especially a game like half life.

Say this year group A who have pc's that can play the game buys it.

Next year when group B have pc's good enough to play said game they will buy it.

And then a MOD comes out that lots of people love(Like CS)

Then group C will buy it.

Consoles do not have an upgrade cycle assosciated with them, and most people who will buy the game will usually buy the game within the first year. Unless in halo's case it's usually sold with the console and has a lot of related advertising associated with it.

^Ben said:

On any gaming platform there is a critical 2 weeks where the bulk of the sales of most games will go, with consoles after about 1 year the sales of said game will essentially go flat because everybody who wanted the game would have got it(unless they do some kind of promotion where it's sold with the console)

P.C. games are different because you have brackets of gamers, some with P.C's that cannot play the game and some that are going to wait untill they have better P.C's to play the game, and then theres Auntie Jill who just got a P.C. that could play the game and buys it for herself when she wasnt really a gamer herself.

Next year when group B have pc's good enough to play said game they will buy it.

Consoles do not have an upgrade cycle assosciated with them, and most people who will buy the game will usually buy the game within the first year. Unless in halo's case it's usually sold with the console and has a lot of related advertising associated with it.

I appreciate you explaining yourself, I see what you mean.

HL Sales

^Ben said:

Gabe stated in a recent interview that HL sold more copies in it's third year than it did in it's first.

is not rare that

just consider that every people that played HL1 will buy HL2

Damn nice figures, and that's even without the mediapimping that Halo2 got, I mean god that was rediculous. Valve sells their product on sheer quality and well people's urges for a good game, it doesn't need any major pimping.

I'm very sure Vivendi would be monitoring the number of Steam sales so that they can have an idea of how much money they 'lost' for their court battles with Valve

Didn't Gabe Newell confirm somewhere that Vivendi does indeed get a small cut from the Steam sales? If so, the steam numbers are probably included in the 1.7mil total.

krs said:
Didn't Gabe Newell confirm somewhere that Vivendi does indeed get a small cut from the Steam sales? If so, the steam numbers are probably included in the 1.7mil total.

very doubtful...why would, or should they?

Don't forget the publicity Halo 2 got, while Half-Life 2 was spread online and by word of mouth, so Half-Life 2 will be the shiznighzle!!!!!1

Back