Half-Life 2 Theme Song

GunPlay

Reaction score
Alright, what song do you think would best fit into a HL2 commercial, or best describe HL2?

My pick is Memory, by: Sugarcult, specifically the part "So get back, back, back to the disaster
My heart's beating faster" in the chorus. I could picture Gordon busting into the test chamber of Black Mesa after he traveled back in time to stop the disaster with that playing in the commercial.

I think what would best fit would be something more of a classical, symphony type sound. With like showing City 17 and why Gordon is so important. But I never see commercials for computer games. So I dont know.

Hmm, "Concierto de Aranjuez" by Jaquin Rodrigo, simply cos i adore that song.

But a song that fits a HL2 commercial? How about this one http://www.filespace***/dl/890f8cec8370012ff0481419bc485349/Half-Life_11_(Intro_Valve).mp3

nofx said:
I think what would best fit would be something more of a classical, symphony type sound. With like showing City 17 and why Gordon is so important. But I never see commercials for computer games. So I dont know.
Mars, Bringer of War.

The one with the same music as the trailer on their site.

A well-edited version of The Walls Get Smaller by The Music would be perfect. Starts off weird, bleak and isolated (in a tender, lost way), then builds into a screaming (not literally - it's an instrumental), intense, bleak and isolated beast. In a dance-music-has-a-big-fight-with-prog-rock kind of a way. Ammmmaaaaazing.

Or the Benny Hill Theme tune

or Rob Zombie - Dragula. The chorus would be awesome for the commercial.

I don't wanna be a party pooper but if Valve used any music, it'd be their own creations, probably from the game itself.

Battery by Metallica ....it would probably fit that game , maybe

the proclaimers - i have walked 500 miles.. always works. ^^
err.. no.

You know what? Anything without guitars. I'm sick of guitars in video game soundtracks. The best soundtracks are the ones that don't use this instrument. For example the best music tracks in UT2004 are the ones that focus less on guitars (like ONS-ArcticStronghold). I like how the music to Half-Life 2 that has been shown hasn't had any guitars in it (or at least very little) so far.

For some reason a light techno beat suits Half-Life quite well. In that case, the music from the original teaser trailer.

Although, the orignal Half-Life featured music with a hard rock type feel. It would need to be something with no signing (it can be distracting). It could be a segmeant from a song.

Something like "Bodies" is overused and would rob Half-Life of it's glory.

I liked the opening segment of "Hell Above the Water" by Curve. You may have remembered it as the theme for the original Spiderman trailer and look how good it did. The theme is also being used for the new trailer of the Bourne Supremecy.

I think we should start making our own little trailers.:D
That would be fun.

It's only because all the soundtracks that use guitars use sh*tty heavily-distorted SHKRUG-UV rawk metal power chords that are talentless and sh*tty.
PROPER guitar music is goood. Personally, I'm sick of rubbishy synth pseudo-techno music. Generally, game soundtracks are arse.

hmm... i think quite a few NiN tunes would serve well as a HL2 theme song.

the one i'd pick would be We're in this together from The Fragile album :)

The music

el Chi said:
A well-edited version of The Walls Get Smaller by The Music would be perfect. Starts off weird, bleak and isolated (in a tender, lost way), then builds into a screaming (not literally - it's an instrumental), intense, bleak and isolated beast. In a dance-music-has-a-big-fight-with-prog-rock kind of a way. Ammmmaaaaazing.

Or the Benny Hill Theme tune

I gave a listen....nice stuff. I'll look into these guys.

Dr. Freeman said:
hmm... i think quite a few NiN tunes would serve well as a HL2 theme song.

the one i'd pick would be We're in this together from The Fragile album :)

I thought that NIN were supplying music for DOOM 3. They do have a unique voice that would work well.

A True Canadian said:
I thought that NIN were supplying music for DOOM 3. They do have a unique voice that would work well.

Trent Reznor backed out to finish the new NIN album (hahaha, still not finished). Chris Vrenna (ex NIN live drummer) was picked up to do it, who also did American McGee's Alice.

"We're In This Together Now"? Pah, "Just Like You Imagined" surely.

A True Canadian said:

yeah Trent was working with ID but left a year ago because the game was taking too long.. i guess he wanted to work on the new NiN album which should be due some time in the fall ;)

thinking back to HL1, it had some dark techno tunes.. and NiN is very good in that area.. so yeah a "match made in heaven" as is said :E

edit: Kage i suggested We're in this together because of the resistence vs the combine view of the storyline but like i said.. theres quite a few tunes of NiN one can choose from :p

crumbles said:
I gave a listen....nice stuff. I'll look into these guys.
Look into them like a motherf*cker. They're one of my favourite bands at the moment and one of the only bands trying something NEW. The retro thing's fun, but these guys are pushing in new directions. I like to think of them as what Led Zeppellin might've been if Led Zeppellin had grown up in an ear of bad dance music and bad weed.
Apart from the stuff off their forthcoming album, I have every track they've ever released. I'm something of a fan :) It suddenly occurs to me that I'm wearing a t-shirt of theirs right now!

Dr. Freeman said:
i guess he wanted to work on the new NiN album which should be due some time in the fall ;)

Hahahaha....I'm sorry, I can't help but just laugh at this. :D

KagePrototype said:
Hahahaha....I'm sorry, I can't help but just laugh at this. :D

Nine Inch Nails are at work on their fourth album, Bleed Through, in Los Angeles. Trent Reznor and Co. hope to finish it by summer and release it later this year.

that was taken from thefragile website

keep laughing.. cause i surely didn't make it up :p

sorry about the thread going so off topic guys.. :(

NIN also said Spring....then summer...plus the fact that NIN are notorious for taking their sweet damn time on making their albums, and you have a recipe for a long wait. :D I wouldn't expect anything earlier than Christmas. If we're lucky. Hell, the first time a release date for The Fragile was announced, it was 1997, two whole years before the damned thing came out. Don't hold your breath. :)

i have to agree that any music from outside the game (especially rock) wouldn't quite fit.

Creepy, mysterious, sometimes scary sci fi shooter. . . Let's play heavy metal! Real atmospheric!

Painkiller, by comparison, had some neat music when you weren't killing things (heavy metal). Killing music was meant to get your blood pumping, not put you on edge.

In any case, music from outside the game soundtrack wouldn't be used because its more money that has to be spent, and gives a different impression of the game.

Foo Fighters- Breakout would be good (maybe, :S i just like the song)

Massive Attack - Special Cases

Would be friggin' sweet because the music itself fits alot into the futuristic and mysteriousness that is the Combine and the black mesa incident etc.
The lyrics fit in alot on Gordon aswell:

Take a look around the world
You see such mad things happening
There are few good men
Thank you lucky star that he’s one of them

I too would have to say they'd use their own music if they did make a commercial; although, I could see a commercial going something like this (if Valve had money to waste):

Yesterday by the Beatles to some images of getting off the train station (kinda weird, I know) and going around the apartments - maybe with a bit of Combine soldier opression shown.
Barney and his 'black mesa reference on the street' type scene from E3 2003 ("Do you remember when we thought Black Mesa was as bad as it could get?" or something).
Which would work as a translation into some light beat techno (forgive the foreign references going on over here, but:) like Nozhki by Virus (except maybe something with no lyrics, made by English speaking people). The techno would be going to some intense fighting, maybe some guys yelling "Strider"...

Then Gordon gets zapped by a Strider to fade into a "In Stores Now" or "Coming, Sepetember 2004" type text.

Okay, awkard idea. How about a short commercial just featuring the intro from Orgy's Blue Monday to some intense fight scene stuff going on?

That "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" song. Is it by R.E.M? I can never remember...

I think they should just use the Pshyche vid as a commercial.

Brian Damage said:
That "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" song. Is it by R.E.M? I can never remember...

Yes it is.

IMO Godsmack - I Stand Alone would be a nice theme :)

I Stand Alone"

Now I've told you this once before
You can't control me
If you try to take me down you're gonna pay
Now I feel your every nothing that you're doing for me
I'm picking you outa me
you run away
I stand alone
Inside
I stand alone

something classical, techno-classical, or orchastral rock (Ala Era)

Back