Half-Life 3 for X360?

Loke

Tank
Reaction score
What does this say? ;)

9ksbhl.jpg

Pretty cool huh? I bet we will see HL3 on all major systems (X360, PS3 and of course Half-Lifes home format the PC :D )

There was a rumour in the latest EGM saying that Valve was working on PS3 & X360 games. So this slide kind of supports that.

Where does it says "Half-life 3" or "Valve"?

I don't really that it's going to happen. Think about what Gabe recently said about the nextgen consoles.

hl32it.jpg

there

EDIT : what did gabe said about Next Gen consoles ?

Pesmerga said:

Really? ;)

"Most of the problems of getting these systems running on these multicore processors are not solved. They are doctoral theses, not known implementation problems. So it's not even clear that over the lifespan of these next generation systems that they will be solved problems. The amount of time it takes to get a good multicore engine running, the Xbox 360 might not even be on the market any longer. That should scare the crap out of everybody."

Dont know whats up with Gabe, but other developers dont seem as scared as him. Epic for example are all giddy over these new consoles, he better get used to multi-core CPUs from now on.

All this says is that Source will be able to use XNA Technology possibly making SOURCE portable to the next-gen Consoles, thus opening Source to a wider range of developers for next-gen consoles. Thus more $.

This says nothing about Half-Life 3 because on the top of that little part it says "Game Engines" not "Games".

I think Gabe pretty much said what he needed to about consoles, and I seriously doubt they will be making another one. They like the ability of updating their content.

Thats a bit odd. Why is HalfLife3 specifically mentioned in a Game Engine box, should they of used Source instead?

Looks like a 3 to me...

So my question is... is VALVe making a new engine for Half-Life 3? One that does mulit-core's and such? I don't know why they put Source on there, because I'm sure that VALVe will just re-write parts of the code for use with multi-core... Not re-write another engine which they said wasn't fun (technology was behind the game development etc etc)

I'm sure Gabe is just expressing what everyone is actually thinking... There are going to be a lot more people using middle-ware with this upcoming multi-core generation considering that it takes two years to write a good engine with single-core... Now add like 2 more cores for the Xbox360, and you understand how difficult it will be.

Yes multi-core really brings out a lot more power, but it really stresses the programmers and makes him work a lot harder, more than they already are!

Most programmers first of all don't really have the authority to go into the press and make statements like Gabe did. I'm sure there are tons of people thinking the way he did at one time or another. Also, people usually don't want to draw negative press towards themselves. Especially when they want to sell their product :)

KU_ said:
Yea, it looks like a 2 to me as well.
I also thought it was a 2.
Iced_Eagle said:
Looks like a 3 to me...

So my question is... is VALVe making a new engine for Half-Life 3? One that does mulit-core's and such? I don't know why they put Source on there, because I'm sure that VALVe will just re-write parts of the code for use with multi-core... Not re-write another engine which they said wasn't fun (technology was behind the game development etc etc)

I'm sure Gabe is just expressing what everyone is actually thinking... There are going to be a lot more people using middle-ware with this upcoming multi-core generation considering that it takes two years to write a good engine with single-core... Now add like 2 more cores for the Xbox360, and you understand how difficult it will be.

Yes multi-core really brings out a lot more power, but it really stresses the programmers and makes him work a lot harder, more than they already are!

Most programmers first of all don't really have the authority to go into the press and make statements like Gabe did. I'm sure there are tons of people thinking the way he did at one time or another. Also, people usually don't want to draw negative press towards themselves. Especially when they want to sell their product :)
There's no need for them to write a new engine from the ground up. They've already done that with Source and so therefore it'll be expandable to contain whatever they consider to be "next generation". It's like Epic and the Unreal Engine's - I doubt very much that they've ever re-written the Unreal engine from the ground up.

Sure, if they do expand Source to be "next generation" then they'll probably need to re-write huge chunks but I doubt very much they'll ever need to build a FPS engine from the ground up again.

IT IS A 3.
Save the image and use Windows Picture Viewer to zoom up on it...trust me the last curve on the bottem is the easiest thing to spot.

Loke said:
Dont know whats up with Gabe, but other developers dont seem as scared as him. Epic for example are all giddy over these new consoles, he better get used to multi-core CPUs from now on.
In that article, Gabe wasn't scared.

What he was saying is that no one knows how to program multi-core engines yet. All the games coming out on the PS3 and Xbox360 are all made with single-core engines because no one at this state in time can program a multi-core engine thats stable enough to make a game on it.

UE3 is multi-core though, and so is Novadex (the physics middleware). Probably a lot of first-gen game engines won't have full multi-core usage, but as we near the end, as always, we will see the true power of multi-core.

looks like a 2, and they already have HL2 on the Xbox (first one) they could just be discussing the engine (it is listed under game engines after all)

they should have refered to it as source though.

Chris_D said:
There's no need for them to write a new engine from the ground up. They've already done that with Source and so therefore it'll be expandable to contain whatever they consider to be "next generation". It's like Epic and the Unreal Engine's - I doubt very much that they've ever re-written the Unreal engine from the ground up.

Sure, if they do expand Source to be "next generation" then they'll probably need to re-write huge chunks but I doubt very much they'll ever need to build a FPS engine from the ground up again.

Indeed. id and Unreal have never rewritten engines fro scratch except for U1 and q1.

Also Valve has stated in the past that HL3 if and when it goes into development will have a much shorter production schedule because the core engine is already there and anything else they need can just be plugged into it.

looks like a 2, and they already have HL2 on the Xbox (first one) they could just be discussing the engine (it is listed under game engines after all)

they should have refered to it as source though.

Look at my post.
IT IS A 3. Zoom the hell in on the number and you will see the last curve. If that is a 2 it would have to be a backwards 2 in order to have such a curve.

Now since some of you probably still don't understand I will post a picture!

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 179
Come on people...you have to give in to consoles!! One day the PC and consoles will become the same thing. No doubt about that. Oh and that day will see alot of whining from PC buffs...and will never hear the end of it :rolleyes:

Iced_Eagle said:
UE3 is multi-core though, and so is Novadex (the physics middleware). Probably a lot of first-gen game engines won't have full multi-core usage, but as we near the end, as always, we will see the true power of multi-core.
The technology is capable of handling multi-core eventually but the games that are being designed on UE3 now are based to run on single-core platforms or just use one core.

Minerel said:
Look at my post.
IT IS A 3. Zoom the hell in on the number and you will see the last curve. If that is a 2 it would have to be a backwards 2 in order to have such a curve.

Now since some of you probably still don't understand I will post a picture!

Haha.

You obviously feel quite strongly about this.

Haha.

You obviously feel quite strongly about this.
Yes, very :). People must know the truth!

Meh, looks more like a J to me.
Half-Life J....hmm.... WHAT COULD IT BE!!! We must turn into Sam Fisher and get into valves building which is obviously full of alarms, people with guns, guard dogs, lots of light, and hot girls(obviously paid)!!

It's obviously Half-Life: Jam, where you play as Alyx and go on a mission to dance and sing and play lots of mini-games. It's the true sequel we've all been waiting for!

Minerel said:
Half-Life J....hmm.... WHAT COULD IT BE!!! We must turn into Sam Fisher and get into valves building which is obviously full of alarms, people with guns, guard dogs, lots of light, and hot girls(obviously paid)!!

The hot girls are controlled by none other than Marc LaidLaw, we all know he's the Pimp Daddy:afro:

Back