Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 months

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 1 year +++

Votes: 229 97.4%

• Total voters

Navy Man

Reaction score
Hello there guys. I did a quick search and didn't really find anything relavent to what i'm going to ask.

I wanna know when you guys reckon when we will see Half-Life 3 released. I know its a way off but whats wrong with a few predicitions :p

I believe within a year. Basically with steam all up and running the development i feel will be alot easier for the guys over at Valve therefore the production time shouldn't take so long !

Maybe a sort glimpse at E3 next year :O~

they have mentioned that they have made the source in such a way that they can upgrade it very easily. this will allow them to upgrade graphics and such without needing a new engine

hmm they did mention they will have expansion packs etc, so maybe that will set it back :)

You must remeber, that even though they have the engine ready, that's not the whole game. Half-Life 3 probably isn't even in a concept stage yet. Maybe a few drawings or something

I'd say at least two years

I'd say 3-4 years if they're not building something entirely new like HL2.

No way we will see it within a year for at least these reasons:

1. There will be expansion packs for HL2.
2. They need to create additional art and story.
3. The Source engine will be upgraded to keep up with technology over time.
4. Valve need a vacation after HL2.

With that said we very well may see an expansion pack within a year.

lol all your points are very valid, does seem like will be a few years then :p

That would just seem...interesting if they did get it done fast like. I mean, that would kinda inturrupt sales wouldn't you think?

I don't think there'll be a Half Life 3 for a long time. We'll just get expansion packs and new modifications made with Source for a few years, and Source itself will be updated (as was the HL1 engine) over time.

Really I guess it all depends on what Source can do when pushed hard enough. Unreal 3 looks like the benchmark for the 'next gen' graphics engine - can Source compete with that? If not, then Valve will, I guess have to develop a new engine.

Navy Man said:
hmm they did mention they will have expansion packs etc, so maybe that will set it back :)
Yeah, but don't forget that Valve have to take a long, well-deserved rest after it's finished, then maybe an expansion pack or within a year (that's how long Op4 took). Don't expect a full-blown sequel for at least two-three years. If it took any shorter then it'd probably be rubbish.

Anyway, for the minute let's focus on HL2 shall we?

Valve will be in no rush to get "halflife3" out within a year maybe 2,

The mod community will keep Hl2 alive, plus valve will be waiting antill direct x 10 cards hit as a standard so they can really improve source. I say

1-2 years.

Navy Man said:
I wanna know when you guys reckon when we will see Half-Life 3 released. I know its a way off but whats wrong with a few predicitions :p

Unless Gabe gets a severe brain fart, we won't see Half-Life 3 for the next five to six years. The reason is simple: as soon as HL3 gets out, everyone will drop HL2 and move on to HL3. Basically.

Another option would be a singleplayer only release that just continues HL2's story. That could work.

You shoild have put better options... To have 3 alternitives of 4 saying within a year is not good.

i think it'll take Valve a good 3 to 4 years for Hl3, but then, we dont know what they have in store for us until we complete HL2... i hope they make lots of expansions and HL3 is another ground-breaking game in 4 years time with uber technology w'e're have by then :)

Well since the engine and everything is already finished, I say it would take a couple years less than HL2. Then again add on a year for things like vacation/HL2 expensions. I say 3-4yr range is a pretty good bet.

oldagerocker said:
i think it'll take Valve a good 3 to 4 years for Hl3, but then, we dont know what they have in store for us until we complete HL2... i hope they make lots of expansions and HL3 is another ground-breaking game in 4 years time with uber technology w'e're have by then :)

Ü B E R

Sorry, could help myself. ;)

Well I think HL3 is a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggg way off. This will most likely be because VALVe will wait to see what our likes and dislikes of HL2 are. After all if we all love/hate Alyx, whats the point of including/excluding her in HL3? So no REAL design will have even been contemplated yet.

I agree VALVe may have a rough ideas list that is born from the future capabilities of PC's in the year 2020 ;)

Anyhoo, whos cares about HL3... I would just like HL2 :p

Oh, the fun maps are going to ROCK! :cheers:

Guys... the decade is too young to be discussing HL3.
We haven't even the second HL yet!

Uh oh, from the looks of the poll, I'd say approximately three people are going to be seriously let down in a year.

this poll is a joke right? no seriously.. it must be a joke...well unless the guy creating it was living under a rock or something. :p

Valve have alot on their plate before HL3 is even thought of.
i don't know the order Valve has these titles in.. so i will just guess.

- first of all HL2 isn't even released yet.. sheesh :p
- an expansion pack such as Opposing Force2
- TF2
- CS2
- DOD2?

as u see.. thats alot of work already... and well.. i don't see HL3 being worked on before those titles.

Dr. freeman
this poll is a joke right? no seriously.. it must be a joke...well unless the guy creating it was living under a rock or something.

I agree. 1st its off topic, second this polls ridiculous. The choices should be much more open. I mean as if it would be ready in 6 months. :hmph:

Black Mesa corp said:
I agree. 1st its off topic, second this polls ridiculous. The choices should be much more open. I mean as if it would be ready in 6 months. :hmph:

Don't forget the rather misleading thread title

I think it would be cool to have a mod where u can play as a combine soldier as in op4 u could play as 1 of those military blokes

geowa said:
I think it would be cool to have a mod where u can play as a combine soldier as in op4 u could play as 1 of those military blokes

Yeyyy! That would be kickass!!! :thumbs:

fez said:
they have mentioned that they have made the source in such a way that they can upgrade it very easily. this will allow them to upgrade graphics and such without needing a new engine

Yeah, and 3DR switched to the Unreal engine for Duke Nukem Forever because it was more flexible and easy to use. That was in 1999. It seems as though these improvements never pan out in terms of much quicker development time. Something always comes up to derail perfectly laid plans. I wouldn't bug Valve about HL3 until maybe 2007-08.

Why would they get Half-Life³ out within a year when they're just about ready to go gold with the sequel? Games take time, if they produce the third within a year, I'd have to be sceptic and say that they didn't really pay attention to detail.

Is it even possible to create a third of the same caliber when having set high standards with the first and second, in less than a year? I don't believe so.

czrsink said:
I don't think there'll be a Half Life 3 for a long time. We'll just get expansion packs and new modifications made with Source for a few years, and Source itself will be updated (as was the HL1 engine) over time.

Really I guess it all depends on what Source can do when pushed hard enough. Unreal 3 looks like the benchmark for the 'next gen' graphics engine - can Source compete with that? If not, then Valve will, I guess have to develop a new engine.

Are you joking? UE3 is atleast 2 years away from any kind of ingame integration. By that time Carmack would have started work on his next (and possibly last) engine.

Jesus....Hl2 hasn't even hit the shelves and speculation about HL3s release is coming about. Valve will not work on HL3 for a while. The next things they will work on are the mod ports, or some expansions. Once HL3 hits the development cycle, it won't take as long as HL2 did.

But don't expect Valve to do anything within the first month of HL2s release. We'll be lucky if they stay sober enough to get themselves home safely.

Back