Half Life... 3?

Nibwoddle

Reaction score
Well, I searched and found no speculation threads regarding the game which will come after Episode 3. I know... it might be a bit early, but there's a lot of speculation potential.

Will it still use the Source engine?
Will it still involve the same characters?
Will the Combine be gone?
What will have happened to the Earth?
Will there still be humanity besides Gordon?
Where will it be set?
Who will be the enemy?

See? SPECULATION. I think it'll involve the Earth being reduced to a wasteland after the Borealis does something, it'll involve some survivor outposts and stuff, but other than that I'm not sure.

Discuss.

Valve have more or less said there will be no HL3, probably just more Episodes.

Yes, Gabe has said that unless PC architecture dramatically changes Valve will continue to add and expand the Source engine rather than spending time making a new engine to do the same things. In fact, like Ennui said, I get the feeling from Valve that they have deemed the Episodes experiment a success and will continue in that direction, so really replace HL3 with 3 more episodes.
Probably, I think that those who survive will have a role in the future.
No, even if all the Combine on Earth are defeated (a huge effort in itself) there is still the larger Combine Emipre out there.
Retaking, Rebuilding & Reproducing.
... yes.
Where will it be set?
I think the story will begin to expose the larger context of it all, the things the Vortigaunts, GMan, the Combine and Nihilanth are/were involved in before Earth.
Who will be the enemy?
Important question but I dunno, it will be interesting to see the storyline unfold during and after Ep3. We've had an Earth invasion and are on our way to defeating it, there is a larger context to it all but how Valve will end up showing that I'm not sure.

as far is i know Gabe sayd that the three episodes where HL3.
But a few weeks ago i remember reading something about a sequal of the three episodes, as in the "real" HL3. I'll look if i can find anything on that.

-dodo

edit: Bingo! CLICK!!

as far is i know Gabe sayd that the three episodes where HL3.
Gabe has never said that the Episodes = HL3, he said that the episodes were in place of HL3. So if they didn't do the Episodes roughly the same content would have been released together under the name HL3.
But a few weeks ago i remember reading something about a sequal of the three episodes, as in the "real" HL3. I'll look if i can find anything on that.

-dodo

edit: Bingo!CLICK!!
Your link doesn't say that HL3 will be made next just that something will be made next.

I remember reading an interview where someone from Valve said the episode format hadn't worked for them. I don't remember where I found it, but I think it was from here.

Well, I searched and found no speculation threads regarding the game which will come after Episode 3. I know... it might be a bit early, but there's a lot of speculation potential.

Where will it be set?
Who will be the enemy?

See? SPECULATION. I think it'll involve the Earth being reduced to a wasteland after the Borealis does something, it'll involve some survivor outposts and stuff, but other than that I'm not sure.

Discuss.

Your questions will be answered when it comes out.

Please remember, that the episodes are in place for Half-Life 3, but ARE NOT Half-Life 3.

They are "Half-Life 2: Episodes". Mention the number 2 after Half-Life, not 3. So, the episodes are in place of HL3, as continuation to HL2, but are not HL3. I see it annoying as people say "the episodes are HL3" which they are not.

We could maybe see HL3 in the future, but right now, it is the HL2 Episodes in it's place.

ya i get annoyed when people keep claiming that they are from something that was said along time ago by a valve employee. it was never confirmed.
though when you say "the episodes are in place of HL3" then that just sounds like there will not a HL3 or you are saying the episodes are compiled to be HL3 which they are not. the episodes are a continuation of HL2 and that is it.just forget about all of this HL3 confusion.

I love speculation, but we nearly know nothing about episode 3, so discussing about Half-Life 3 it's quite pointless.

P.S: The episodes aren't HL 3 please stop saying that. And I think that Valve haven't said that there will be no HL3, IMO they will do it and it will be the final entry in the series

I love speculation, but we nearly know nothing about episode 3, so discussing about Half-Life 3 it's quite pointless.

P.S: The episodes aren't HL 3 please stop saying that. And I think that Valve haven't said that there will be no HL3, IMO they will do it and it will be the final entry in the series

I disinctly remember a statement by Valve saying that ep 3 will be the last episode, but not the last HL game. So HL3 has practically been comfirmed.

I dont think they should overuse the episode strategy. Not that it hasnt worked, but it will lose its flare, plus id prefer to be waiting for half life 3 than just another episode. Id much rather be talking about episode 3 anyway.

yes but a huge advantage is that the content will be out much faster. plus you cant wait for the next one to come out.

its like reading the harry potter books in a sense. your so excited to see what happens next, but you have to wait until the next book i released.

Half-Life 3 will come and I strongly doubt it will be episodic.

I don't know about you guys, but I think I prefer the monolithic releases... They're more exciting!

At this moment in time I really want the Freeman to continue to be the main protagonist beyond this current story arc, however I suppose this is going to have to relate to HL 2 ep 3 & where it leaves this character, and I suppose other characters like the Gman, probably.

I hope it dosn't go Matrix Revolutions on us in Ep3, negating therefore a handing of the Ep 4/HL3 character baton to a genetically engineered, laboratory created Freeman/Vance offspring or something a bit wacky, like they're trying too hard to make it fresh. Or a prequel, but I believe both these outcomes shall never happen imo.

As i've stated before I'd love to go to the Combine home world & start trouncing up their home boy turf which may/may not happen in Ep3. However there are lots of in's & lots of outs that I see Ep 3 (hopefully) handling very well that will probably defunct my idle speculation about Ep3, particularly that which stretches to its conclusion & beyond.

Half-Life was about the initial incident that brought the Combine to Earth.

Half-Life 2 and the episodes are about the fall of the Combine on Earth.

Half-Life 3 will probably be about the complete destruction of the Combine Empire. If it is, most likely a lot of HL3 will take place on the Combine's homeworld.

We already know that the arc ends with Episode Three.

We know that there shall be more Half-Life.

Therefore, if the arc ends with Episode Three, we can assume that the title "Half-Life 2" shall no longer be used. There will be a fourth game of sorts, and whether it comes in Episodic content or as a full game, we don't know. But it's highly unlikely that they will create a new engine for the game.

No way they'll create a new engine. They will just continue adding on to their excellent source engine.

I have a feeling any games after ep.3 that involve the continued story of Gordon Freeman may be very anti-climactic.

We must make sacrifices. If Half-Life 3 happens, then episode 3 will end in even more mystery.

We must make sacrifices. If Half-Life 3 happens, then episode 3 will end in even more mystery.

I agree, the ending will be even more confusing than the one from HL 1. It will leave us wanting for more and with more questions in our head, just like Lost does season after season.

Back