Half-Life 3

Max35

Tank
Reaction score
This is only going to be a "wild speculations" thread, but I'm curious as to what others think HL3 will take place in/timeframe; some distant future, shortly after the events in Aftermath, etc. Personally, I think it would be cool to go back in time to the Black Mesa Incident and try to reverse it. Instead Adrian Shepherd and his breed of off-world soldiers trained under the watchful eye of the G-Man make sure the resonance cascade goes as originally planned, but Breen, not eager to share the power with Shephard and the G-Man, sends in his Combine Soldiers. But this creates a myriad of ripple effects, so when Gordon arrives in the present its like "WTF!". Okay, I have a rampant imagination...sorry..:hmph:

No timetravel for the love of God!
I think it will be about trying to take out the Combine world but getting absolutly anhilated in the prossece because the Combine world is made of anti-matter.

Max35 said:
This is only going to be a "wild speculations" thread, but I'm curious as to what others think HL3 will take place in/timeframe; some distant future, shortly after the events in Aftermath, etc. Personally, I think it would be cool to go back in time to the Black Mesa Incident and try to reverse it. Instead Adrian Shepherd and his breed of off-world soldiers trained under the watchful eye of the G-Man make sure the resonance cascade goes as originally planned, but Breen, not eager to share the power with Shephard and the G-Man, sends in his Combine Soldiers. But this creates a myriad of ripple effects, so when Gordon arrives in the present its like "WTF!". Okay, I have a rampant imagination...sorry..:hmph:

We still don't know whether time travel is possible. But what might be cool is if we travelled into a parallel dimension where the time space continuim is in reverse. Everything in that realm feels like it's travelling relative to ours (i.e. forwards), but to Gordon and the others who travelled into this dimension would see the events jumping out of order in reverse (like a needle skipping on a record player). Time would run normally for about 5 minutes or so, and then the dimension would jump back and hour or so and repeat.

Imagine finally taking out a Gargantua only to have it jump back to life when time jumps backward. And all things being parallel, the doubles from the other dimension would travel into our dimension. :rolling:

Although this idea would be more plausible than time travel, it's still needlessly complicated just so we can go back and relive the glorious moments in Black Mesa.

Realistically, what I want in Half-Life 3 is for time to advance another 10-odd years and find out that the Combine are at war with another race of aliens. And lucky for us, they have chosen Earth as the battlefield because of our advances in teleportation technology. It then turns into a war over who can steal Earth's tech first.

I'd prefer it if time-travel was avoided. The concepts behind Half-Life are pretty high-science, but they're still presented in a gritty low-key way. Jumping backwards and forwards in time would really detract from this, in my opinion.

And I fancy visiting Xen, duking it out with the Controllers again and proving that the Combine aren't on Xen/only got there after Mossman gave them the tech.

-Angry Lawyer

We still don't know whether time travel is possible

In the game, Alyx and Gordon took a 'slow teleport' a week into the future, right when the rebellion was starting, so yes - time travel has been introduced to the story.

Well, its rather that time "slowed" for Gordon and Alyx, but yeah, some time alteration elements have been introduced into the HL mythology. The whole Gman freezing Gordon in time is another example. Though I suppose, time travel itself has been absent from the series.

heh... actually, time sped up for Gordon and Alyx. A week of time passed, in the instant of their teleportation. It was a 'slow teleport' because the actual mechanic of teleportation (from the perspective of the rest of the world) took a week to happen. Confusing, but cool.

Finger said:
In the game, Alyx and Gordon took a 'slow teleport' a week into the future, right when the rebellion was starting, so yes - time travel has been introduced to the story.
No, they were removed from time for a week, they did not travel through time.

No, they were removed from time for a week, they did not travel through time.

Ok, lets say they 'took an alternate loop' through time. Since time is a measurement of energy in motion, 'removing' something from time would mean removing it from the very system that is being measured. This would undoubtedly tear a hole in the very fabric of space-time, sucking all things great and small into an inverse universe, where people wear their organs on the outside of their skin, speak through their sphincters about Tom Cruise and Katy Holmes, while sipping salty cups of molten tar, over english scones smothered in mayonaise.

You know.... if you want to get technical about it.

And if you want to get technical about it then timetravel is an impossiblr paradox.

Paradox? I've been traveling through time all day at the default setting.

Lets just agree that there is no conclusive proof of timetravel in HL.

the slow teleport that they went through seems to me to be a valid time travel idea. i mean, in essence everyone is time traveling infinitley in every day life because things change. therefore gordon and alyx going through the teleport and ending up back a week later could be considered time travel because a change took place. the only difference was in the way their minds percieved the change or passage in time. in the real world, there is evidence that time travel is possible to a certain degree depending on how fast you are moving. so when they say it was a slow teleport, it was actually more likley an extremely fast teleport in which the bodies within were going so fast that time elsewhere actually slowed down.
but anyways, time travel in a "HG Wells The Time Machine" sort of way seems pretty absurd to me and has been overdone so many times before that it is unoriginal and cliche. so hopefully they do not center hl3 around any of that kind of time travel. and i dont think they will.
as for other aspects of hl3, we'll just have to wait and see!

What Alex and Gordon experienced in the teleporter was not time travel. Allow me to explain my crazy, possibly wrong, possibly unenlightened (although the latter is more of a probability) take on the slow teleport. Now i'm no physiscist and i have yet to take calculus in high school so i can't make heads or tails of some of the equations regarding different teleportation theorys. But one thing seems prevelent in all of these theories and it's that in order for all of them to work you need to acheive a certain curvature of space. Now when Gordon and Alex went through the teleport that is what happened. They acheived a certain curvature of space. Doing this would've caused the same affect as traveling at the speed of light, which to the best of my knowledge would make fifty years to you seem like five seconds. Not nesscasarily time travel. What I consider time travel is the ability to manipulate time, and that would require going fowards and backwards throught time.

Now as to half life 3, i believe that after the citadel collapse in c-17 a world wide revolution will begin against the combine. I think this cause if destroying a prison can cause i city to uprise, then destroying a symbol of combine control like the citadel will do this on a much larger scale. Now my theory is that the reason the combine are massing resources, gaining territory, and augmenting species into their ranks, is due to an arms race they are engaged in with some other unseen alien force (possibly represented by G-man, whose actions would be similar to a spy conducting cold war like sabotage, I.E. releasing Gordon on C-17 to wreak havok on combine earth operations). Both sides are preparing for a impending conflict and want the upper hand when it does come so they continue their relentless planet hopping campainge to become a more complete army. Now with the downfall of the citadel on earth and the theoretical worldwide uprising, the combine will vew the planet as a weakness in their line of planets, and send a doomsday force to take care of the humans and bolster it. They will abandon their plans for a transhuman army and exterminate all humans, using earth simply for resources now. However this other Alien force will see this weakness to, and send an invasion force of their own to exploit it. These two forces will wage a massive battle on earth, with humanity playing the role of an extremely insignificant witness. During the struggle the combine's rivals will attempt to capture a citadel intact in order to determine the location of the heart of combine operations, their homeworld. Using this new info, G-man will send gordon on a mission to destroy the combine homeworld. IN the course of doing this Gordon will learn that the intentions of this new alien race are far worse than the dictatorship of the combine and will attempt to break free of g-mans control and try to destroy their homeworld as well. However in this endeavour, i believe dr. freeman will fail.

so basically it all depends on one's personal definition of what time travel is. okay now enough about freakin time travel. it sucks.

anyway, i like your ideas fcbob. it all sounds plausible to me. i just hope that we see some kind of huge battle like you described. i think it would be amazing if there was a giant battle in a HUGE warzone where tons of things are all happening at once so you'll have to play through that chapter several times to see everything.

i don't know about freeman failing though. that seems like a pretty anticlimatical ending dont you think?

oh yeah left out two things. One, the actuall battle will be more of a story and scenary element, seeing as large scale battles aren't really half life like. It'll be more you trying to surive. And second, the fate of the Universes will be decided in a double elimination Pong tournament between Gordon and G-man.

FCBob said:
oh yeah left out two things. One, the actuall battle will be more of a story and scenary element, seeing as large scale battles aren't really half life like. It'll be more you trying to surive. And second, the fate of the Universes will be decided in a double elimination Pong tournament between Gordon and G-man.

Actually I'd really like the end of the very last half life to end with gordan sitting down to play chess with gman on a wooden table in an endless sea of nothingness.

Automatic Kafka said:
Actually I'd really like the end of the very last half life to end with gordan sitting down to play chess with gman on a wooden table in an endless sea of nothingness.

Or maybe they could have a telepathic battle....:afro:

Bwe heh heh.

the G-Man said:
Well...done, Mister Fr-eeman. It sseems you have suc-ceeded in wi-ping out the entire...universe. N-ice one. W-ell, here we...are...in the...gap be-tween the worlds. I guesss there is no-thing left to do ex-ssscept play Tic...tac...toe.

And then Lamarr comes up, but she's no longer a little headcrab. She's become a big momma! :O

i think it will be set in the future when men and women are fighting each other to try and become the dominate sex and wipe out the other. and gorden comes and reminds them that if one sex destorys the other then they cant reproduce and mankind will die out and so theyre all like oh yeah! so they make friends and the rest is cencerd

Back