Half Life Film? yes or no?

I think if someone like Sam Raimi took his own tongue-in-cheek interpretation of Half-Life, and converted it into a movie, it would work well. It wouldn't be hard to not have the protagonist speak. I think the G-Man could easily be converted into a narrator, if we're to believe he watches Gordon's every move, and the being the mysterioud character that he is could easily engage the audience. An intrusive direction with lots of cuts during action scenes would not be the style to match HL. I think lots of long takes and steady cam shots would work really well. I think a first person perspective for a film wouldn't be that outlandish, as long as it wasn't overused.

So yeah, i wanna make a Half Life movie.

I think the only way it could be made into a movie is if it incorporates Opposing Force and Blueshift. Make the movie more about the exprience of those who must survive the catastrophe of an interdimensional portal ripping its way through a secret underground facility where the truth must not get out and...bigger things are taking place behind the scenes.

My cast:
Gordon: Jeff Goldblum
Barney: A real scruffy, gains-twenty-pounds-for-this-role George Clooney
Kleiner: James Cromwell
Vance: Rober Guillaume
G-Man: John Voight or some unknown to make it more mysterious
Shepard: Anyone (he never removes the mask).

Did I forget any major character?

kush said:
I think if someone like Sam Raimi took his own tongue-in-cheek interpretation of Half-Life, and converted it into a movie, it would work well. It wouldn't be hard to not have the protagonist speak. I think the G-Man could easily be converted into a narrator, if we're to believe he watches Gordon's every move, and the being the mysterioud character that he is could easily engage the audience. An intrusive direction with lots of cuts during action scenes would not be the style to match HL. I think lots of long takes and steady cam shots would work really well. I think a first person perspective for a film wouldn't be that outlandish, as long as it wasn't overused.

So yeah, i wanna make a Half Life movie.
A tongue-in-cheek HL movie would most definately work (probably easier to get right than a more serious movie) but I think it could perhaps spoil things for those who have a more serious take on the game. I think I'd prefer something that raises serious questions, rather than something that doesn't take itself very seriously. Perhaps a good balance of both could work... I guess that's what the game had.

As for wanting to make it... ditto :dork: ... It's already playing in my head, and you'll have to trust me when I say it's one of the best movies I've seen :p

ARE YOU ALL CRAZY!!!!

A hl movie would rock! Just imagine being able to see you fave hl moments on the big screen!

why dont i just turn on FRAPS, and you could just play that in the theatre?

I heard a rumour that there's a video of Gordon and Alyx having a 'quiet night in' filmed in a Seattle hotel.

Apparently, you can see Alyx's breasts and everything!!! Does anyone have a link? I've searched on Kazaa and Emule, but haven't found anything yet!

czrsink said:
I heard a rumour that there's a video of Gordon and Alyx having a 'quiet night in' filmed in a Seattle hotel.

Apparently, you can see Alyx's breasts and everything!!! Does anyone have a link? I've searched on Kazaa and Emule, but haven't found anything yet!

I think that rumour is false.

If they want to make everyone hate half-life they will make the movie

I would hate to see it go on film. Part of what makes the story good are things like not knowing what the ending is. In the movie, they're going to need a beginning and an end. In the movie they're going to need people playing parts as actors, which will take away part of the fantasy of the characters. Some of the fun parts were having disposable Barney type security guards to help us along our way which are all dressed alike. How can they possibly replay this in the movie? We don't know what Gordon sounds like, or much about his personality, which would all come out in the movie and give us a disposition or thought on what Gordon is really like. Part of what I think is so great about the game is that the player actually is Gordon. Or not knowing much about the g-man.

I think HL could be made into a good movie. Most games wouldn't work out as movies because of the story. Halo is also one of thoes games like HL. I think Resident Evil did well as a movie because the game was so much like some movies. I like the idea of Valve making an HL movie in cg but only to see if an HL movie could work.

I think the best idea to approach a Halflife movie is to go from the perspective of Halflife2 i.e. you don't see Gordon, but you do see the freedom fighters fighting against the Combine, etc. It would get around the whole "no dialogue for Gordon" problem.

WTF!? You thought AVP was bad? What's wrong with you?

I think it could make a fine movie, if the movie wasn't about Gordon at all.

Why not introduce a new character into either city 17, or the old labs? I think it would ruin Gordon's character to have him being that visible, and audible.

Game movies never work cuz they are made by people who dont play games or atleast is not that much into games like the avarage gamer is..Its like getting George Lucas to make a Star Trek movie! :D

sooo...would it be like... we wouldn't see gordon, he doesn't speak, and the camera never leaves his perseptive? Oh, and no reflection of gordon? :p

(VALVe trying to make the viewer feel like he's part of the movie)

I supose that would be a excuse to see Alyx and Gordan lol.

I would see it if they made it, but i say keep it a game and put more money into hl3 :) just like i would not want a metal gear movie, its a movie in itself just like hl.

If you found a truly skilled director who loved the game rather than the sales prospects it would be fairly cool.

We know what Freeman looks like, albeit only due to his hands being visible ingame (and his MP DM models). So, solve the problem of having to make him speak by... not making him speak! Only time you encounter Gordon he's under fire in undesirable positions. Just need an actor capable of being mute while he blasts up aliens.

As for character interaction, leave that to other people! Barney and Kliener talking behind Gordon's back, or lesser NPCs chatting about the near mythical Gordon (the science team were tracking him just as the military was) and how he's going to save them all.

Meanwhile, the audience actually see the real Gordon, a nerdy badass in a high-tech suit who shifted from mild mannered scientist to lucky grunt-defeating headcrab-crushing stupid-petal-headed-alien-baby-frying superhuman who, basically, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Or wrong place, when you consider he was in Black Mesa at all...

Who needs a film spin-off for this franchise when the game itself is better than most action films?

cheese04 said:
a hl2 based film wouldn't be a bad idea, but the production costs would be real expensive. i dont know of any production company willing to take the risk of spending big bucks to make a film based off a game. but then again, the gaming industry makes more money than the film industry. i would have the screenwriters from hl1 and hl2 bring up a script.

h00dlum said:
Game movies never work cuz they are made by people who dont play games or atleast is not that much into games like the avarage gamer is..Its like getting George Lucas to make a Star Trek movie! :D

So did anyone read my post? 'cause it doesn't seem like it.

well, not showing Gordon's point of view.

IF they made a new character and showed what he/she did during the incident, it COULD be cool. I think a Hl2 movie about one of the citizens wld be cool, if done correctly.

one problem with transfering the game into the movie would be gordon's weapons....he can't carry all of those weapons at once like in the game... :sniper:

(1) I think HL1 would make a good movie.

(2) For the movie to be good would require that they do stray from the plot of the game iteself a bit. There is no way they can directly translate 12 hours of alien killing into something OTHER than alien killing without it being lame.

(3) Edward Norton would make a pretty good freeman.

(4) The G-man would be an OK narrator but I think it would be even better if Freeman himself was the narrator.

....imagine how the movie starts.........

**TRANSITION***slow fade in*
**we see Gordon Freeman in Black Mesa tram. Tram is empte. Freeman is sitting on the seat, elbows on his knees kind of staring into nowhere towards the floor of the tram**
NARRATOR (freeman) : there I was, ignorant of what i was really getting into, not realizing what would soon become my nightmare.
**tram stops**
**barney walks up to door, swips key card, opens it**
Barney (friendly tone) : hey mr.freeman, how is your first week at black mesa treating ya?
**freeman exits tram and slowly walks with barney next to him towards the main entrance door**
Freeman : *smiles* its goin pretty barney, thanks for asking.
Barney : *chuckle* i hear they are callin you into the anomalous materials department today for soem big test.
Freeman : *confused* anomalous materials?
Barney : A friend of mine who works down there said that they were gonna run some big test and wanted you to personally supervise it since you were the best "qualified"
Freeman : I see......... well thanks for the heads up *freeman sticks his thumb out to the door with a smile*
Barney : *smiles* Anyhow, I should probably be letting you in...
**barney swips access card and lets scanner scan his retina**

......and the script goes on and on

Urgh, I hate narrators in movies. It's just spoon-feeding a stupid audience, it feels really patronising to me...

I don't see how Half-Life would work as a movie myself, it's a little thin on narrative structure.

Charlie Sheen would make a much better Freeman then Norton:
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0115571/Ss/0115571/fcs_lt_0139.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0115571

I'd love to see a Half-Life movie. As long as VALVe was involved, I'm sure it could be very good. It would also help spread the goslpel of Half-Life to the masses. (And Gordon could talk. Why not?. The movie isnt in first person).
KagePrototype said:
Urgh, I hate narrators in movies. It's just spoon-feeding a stupid audience, it feels really patronising to me...
Ever seen Adaptation? That movie had some narration, and was not patronizing at all.

if gordon talks norton should play
but if gordon doesnt talk sheen should play

i dont know, sheen just doesnt seem like the type of guy to play that part, he looks it though

Norton all the way for me

sheen is not a hero , badass , people killer .. he's just a friendly type comedian guy ... whats edward norton look like?

Platinum said:
sheen is not a hero , badass , people killer .. he's just a friendly type comedian guy ... whats edward norton look like?
Gordon Freeman is just a scientist. He's not a killer, hes a survivor. Yah, its hard to imagine Sheen getting really hardcore. But I think he could play it off from the angle of a regular guy out of his element.

Ed Norton is a superior actor,. but he just does not look anything like Freeman. The ability to grow a goatee does not = Gordon

If you could find some really die hard fan of half-life, untouched by Hollywood, it could be done good sure

KagePrototype said:
That's often true, but it doesn't have to be.. just watch Gattaca for an example where the narration is a valuable addition to the film without ruining the presentation of the plot.

Hmm... for all of you guys saying "I don't know if a HL movie could work because of this or that", you lack imagination :p Of course, it could easily be stuffed up by some hollywood type, but get a creative and intelligent person behind it, who's passionate about the game, and you'd have no problems getting around little details, or creating a plot structure that works.

no HL movie please. i don't want to see a great game like half-life turned to s*it on the silver screen. leave that to Duke Nukem.

I just remember seeing a quote somewhere that valve had some offerings, but the second the "Gordon falls in love with" part they said forget it. I think it COULd be made into an unbelievable movie, but w/ the way gaem movies are turning up these days it wouldn't be a good idea.

The whole point of the Half-Life series is to deliver an amazing interactive technological experience. INTERACTIVE. Movies (as of today's date) are not interactive. Besides, Gordon never speaks, and you never see him. They either change Gordon as we know him, or they make a first-person movie, which would probably suck real bad anyways.

Would you thnk I am crazy if I were to suggest that to solve the whole "gordon doesn't speak " problem, is the main character of the movie should be Barney. I think it would drive the whole thing better if he were the main character , and Gordon was a kinda of mythological hero that would appear at the key moments! But still wouldn't have to speak.

Back