Half Life movie casting...

A film would probably just ruin it because it would because its gonna be impossible for them to make it follow the game exactly, and no matter what you say now everyone would complain if it didn't.
Perhaps like someone said setting it in the same scenario, but then it just wouldn't be halflife.

The whole style of the game doesn't suit film making. Games like Max Payne do, because the character talks and its set out much like a film. The same with GTA Vice City.

Farrowlesparrow said:
A film would probably just ruin it because it would because its gonna be impossible for them to make it follow the game exactly, and no matter what you say now everyone would complain if it didn't.
Perhaps like someone said setting it in the same scenario, but then it just wouldn't be halflife.

The whole style of the game doesn't suit film making. Games like Max Payne do, because the character talks and its set out much like a film. The same with GTA Vice City.

well as far as i understand it, a film can't have the same storyline as a game. i can't remember where i read that exactly, but i think it was on gamasutra.com. so if they did make a HL film, it would have to have a different storyline. or at least one that didn't obviously steal from either HL1 or 2.

I'm sure that though that with the developers permission that could use the story. I don't see how any other rules could apply.

i think it was to do with how they class both mediums. that's why we see 'Tomb Raider: The Game' and 'Tomb Raider: The Movie'. and it's also why we haven't seen any game-to-film films that have exactly the same storyline as the original game. i read the article a few years ago, so i dunno whether it's changed since then. it had stuff on copyright laws and intellectual property, both of which seem a little old school for this day and age.

Weird...I mean, does it follow the same for books as well?
They could just say it was a story that they used for the game, but didn't write for the game.

nah it's not the same for books, LOTR/1984/Fight Club/2001 etc.

i suppose they could 'say' a lot of things, but unless they could prove it and provide evidence for it, they'd get shot out of a cannon into the Nether, where lawyers roam free and prey on unsuspecting victims.

anyway i'm sure they've fixed the laws by now. although i expect the Doom movie to have a completely different storyline to any of the games, more of an artistic and story driven choice.

Its was more of a rhetorical question about the books....Lawers like hammers can be used for your benefit so long as you don't look away and let one of them take your thumb off.

Doom could work as a film because, lets face it, there isn't much of a story to begin with, so you have a nice blank slate in the shape of a mars base filled with zombies to work with...ok so there is th elittle thing about an experiment but unlike halflife you don't get the constant input in the same way through the game.

Making an HL movie would be either quite easy or incedribly hard. You could do an arty, tight, tense film with barely any dialogue, with Gordon in it. Or oyu coudl do a more typical action film detailing some other random scientists who escaped from BMRF. Or some soldiers. Or someone.

McFly said:
It will never be made. Simply because the hero is alone the whole time=no dialogue

It should be clear without saying that they won't use the game's script... this is really a no-brainer to figure out. Valve has been offered many scripts but they've turned all of them down, because they sucked. So until someone makes a decent script, the movie won't be made.

Christopher Walken would make an amazing g-man.

/me hugs walken

I very much doubt there are any laws preventing games being made directly into movies. The reason why they don't do it is because they think it wouldn't be that exciting for the people who have played and completed the game. They'll already know the ending and pretty much the entire story before they've even seen the film, meaning they may spoil it for someone else.

Games also don't translate into movies very well (directly any how). For example with Half-Life there's a lot of running around, there's no way they could show all that in a 2+ movie. That being the case they have to condense it, meaning changing story elements so everything fits and makes sense.

I think that Half-Life would work better as a mini-series on TV, in the likes of

Band Of Brothers :sniper:

or

Taken :bounce:

They could have each episode take place in a different part of Black Mesa, deal with new enemies and characters.

This way they can keep the original story and have enough time and space to acurately tell it.

They would need a sufficient budget, but if done right it would really do justice to the Half-Life name.

The second season would of course be based on Half-Life 2. ;)

I think a movie of half-life would be alot like the poseidon adventure

Gman must be Jim carrey
is the perfect actor to Gman and dont say more!!!!!

Drew Carrey=Gordon

What?
Same glasses!

So maybe hes a fat Gordon...

Matt Leblanc (from Friends) as barney

common! i mean seriously...

Edward Norton Definitely for the Freeman role..

all the other actors are okay picks but theres alot more to just looking similar to the characters in the game, the oughta have the same "attitude" as well.

I think that Half-Life would work better as a mini-series on TV, in the likes of

Band Of Brothers

or

Taken

They could have each episode take place in a different part of Black Mesa, deal with new enemies and characters.

This way they can keep the original story and have enough time and space to acurately tell it.

They would need a sufficient budget, but if done right it would really do justice to the Half-Life name.

This is an amazing idea! Things from one episode could cross over to another, so for example some scientists might escape from soldiers in one episode while in another those same soldiers lose the scientists. The same way Blue Shift and Op4 cross over with HL the TV series could develop a crossover-style narrative. I wish someone would make this.

walken.jpg

Wake up and smell the ashes, Mr. Freeman.

no way edward norton. he is nothing like him!
OMG H3z G0t z3h mustache! still doesnt look like him

Back