Half life offline

S

sktslime

Ok, so ive been playing halflife2 and i took my laptop to my other house to play it. I dont have internet at this house(except dial up on a desktop computer), so i was just expecting to play the offline version.
Because it cant connect to steam cant even play the single player mode???!!?

i hope im just doing something wrong because its ****ing bullshit if i cant play a game i paid for unless i have internet. WHy cant they just have you insert cd key at setup and not check everytime u log in.

sktslime said:
its ****ing bullshit if i cant play a game i paid for unless i have internet.

An "internet connection" is on the minimum requirements printed on the side of the box- you paid for that.
Its also in the EULA you clicked through.

thats so lame, valve could've made singe player just enter cd key once, last game i buy made by them.

sktslime said:
thats so lame, valve could've made singe player just enter cd key once

Well, then people would pirate their game very very easily, especially before the official release.

DONT PANIC!!! you can play offline all you have to do is have the remember my password box on the steam login screen checked then you can play offline :)

Nato said:
DONT PANIC!!! you can play offline all you have to do is have the remember my password box on the steam login screen checked then you can play offline :)

You need to connect to the net before that will help.

Ok, so ive been playing halflife2 and i took my laptop to my other house to play it. I dont have internet at this house(except dial up on a desktop computer), so i was just expecting to play the offline version.
Because it cant connect to steam cant even play the single player mode???!!?

i hope im just doing something wrong because its ****ing bullshit if i cant play a game i paid for unless i have internet. WHy cant they just have you insert cd key at setup and not check everytime u log in.

You need to connect to the net before that will help

He has already registered it, why does he have to reconnect to the Net again?

SunHawk said:
He has already registered it, why does he have to reconnect to the Net again?

ah, yes.. if he registers, then once all validation etc is done, offline play is completely possible, he may want to use the internet to validate hl2 to prevent any hitches though

just put this in your browser and hit enter when connected
steam://validate/220

that will check over all your files for corruption etc.

similar kind of thing happened to me. i tried to play it in the car on the way to relatives house for xmas but because I didn't check "remember my password" it wouldn't even attempt to start steam. I know there is an offline mode and that it is easy to have it remember your info, it is stupid as hell to not let you imput your info and turn on steam if you hadn't happened to do that. Its not like I hadn't already validated the game on that computer. it should have the account and PW for the steam account in some file somewhere once you've activated it on the net. It just seems to be a comepletely stupid, unneccessary problem due to simple oversight that needs to be fixed.

ya, i already have validated it and connected through steam before. where is the save my password box, and if i check it i dont have to go online to play offline single player right?

Connect to the internet. Open Steam. Exit Steam. Disconnect from the internet. Open Steam. It should then ask you if you want to retry your connection or start in Offline Mode. Start it in Offline Mode and then you're away.

If you're using it on a different computer, exit Steam. Transfer the files over. Run.

Thanks for the advice Chris_D, but I'm afraid it's next to useless!

I too wish to play HL2 offline because I'm on dial-up and like sktslime I'm also having major problems playing the bloody game.

Connect to the internet. Open Steam. Exit Steam. Disconnect from the internet. Open Steam. It should then ask you if you want to retry your connection or start in Offline Mode. Start it in Offline Mode and then you're away

Everything you say here is valid until the part where you say "you're away".....mmmm I think not. When I open Steam from the system tray HL2 is greyed out. When I do try and start it all I'm getting is a dialog telling me that it's not available to play offline.

Where on earth is the Save My Password Box, cause I sure as hell can't see it. Are we playing the same game?

Remember password is there you you login with your username/password.

Make sure Don't save account information on this computer is unchecked under settings.

If the game is not ready to be played offline, you need to make sure all the updates are downloaded.

It just seems to be a comepletely stupid, unneccessary problem due to simple oversight that needs to be fixed

I agree.

I had a copy..and after a blasphemous time with the game finally got it to run..but by that time was so disgusted I returned it.The shop gave me a refund..as they had had others returned as well for other reasons includng the fact it wouldn't run..in one case the "cd key in use" issue cropped up(the shop staffer told me this" and after the customer was told via the "help area" that there may be a two week delay, the parents returned the game.

1.Fix the offline issue.Once verified there should be NO REASON to even LOOK at online access.

Once registered THATS IT and no more.

I noted at steampowered that people with issues are asked why they want the game for offline only as if that's wrong..hate to burst the bubbl;e, but after some of the lobotomised idiots I have encountered online, I only play single player games.

The only exception to that are starcraft and diablo 2 which I play online, with people I know in a specified and passworded game.The passswords are also designed to not be guessed easily so we cant be interrupted.

I have said this before and I will say it again.

Valve needs to enable and organise telephone support.Other companies manage it, why can't they?

Or is this a case of better profits to the detriment of customer service?

Note to moderators.You may not like what I say.Tough. I will keep it civil and polite at all times but I will not hesitate to speak my mind when I see an issue that has not been addressed and should be.

This offline issue should have been addressed and checked BEFORE release, NOT after.

Five years to make this game and single player doesn't work without a lot of futzing around.

I have a whole slew of games here I can install and run in five minutes flat. If HL2 is the "leading edge" in gaming, then why is that all other singleplayer options for these other games work flawlessly and HL2 doesn't?

It's a fair question.

Goi ahead mods.Lock the thread.Thats what they did at steampowered.

But the complaints haven't stopped, have they?

hi all
ok i know the problem.....
Valve makes a game..
someone steals it
Valve makes a Steal-Protection.....
now its nearly not possible to Steal and play the game but the problem is its nearly not possible the game if u buyed it legal.....
that means it very hard to register update... etcetc....
that suxxx!!!
so it gives a few people who gives us a patch to update the halflife that it runs without steam and without any PROBLEMS!!!
(I hate F**king Steam....)
Or du u need to call ur father if u will go on the watercloset???
thats like i feell if i wanna play hl 2!!!
So here it is.
just search for the file *HalfLife_2_Update_4-VENGEANCE.zip* in the internet / download software.
just follow the install instructions.
Have fun!
cya all and think at the Price u have payed for the game!! :(
Remeber *http://theforce.gameplay.de/kolumne_detail.asp?kid=48&rand=3011041015*
cya

English?

I had a quick gander at that link and I see nothing different to any other eula and then they take on the anti american tone I stopped reading.

Oh and SunHawk I already addressed your points in another post.

And because offline mode is soooooo broken I decided to test it out, I just pulled out my routers power supply and this is what I got when I started up steam.

http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline.jpg
http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline2.jpg
http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline3.jpg

^Ben said:
English?

I had a quick gander at that link and I see nothing different to any other eula and then they take on the anti american tone I stopped reading.

Oh and SunHawk I already addressed your points in another post.

And because offline mode is soooooo broken I decided to test it out, I just pulled out my routers power supply and this is what I got when I started up steam.

http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline.jpg
http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline2.jpg
http://ben.shadow-phoenix.com/steamoffline3.jpg

Uncheck "save my info" and then try it bub.....

Well wtf do you expect if you aint got it saving any info?

SunHawk said:
Valve needs to enable and organise telephone support.Other companies manage it, why can't they?
Yeah, even Microsoft let you get your O/S verified over the phone, for free, no less. I think VALVe should take this route.

^Ben - you shouldn't have to hope you've got it saved before your net connection dies if you've already done the "one time net connection" validation. the whole point I made is that you're still dependent on the internet after the "one time validation" if you didn't tell it to allways have your name and PW put in the log in sections automatically. once you've done the validation on a particular steam account, steam should then have a file knowing that the games validated and installed are allowed on a certain name and password instead of not even allowing you to log onto offline mode if the two variables aren't there when you happened to be disconnected after the "one time validation".

I have never seen "one time validation" all i've seen is internet connection required under the minimum requirements.

Also i've never actually checked save my setttings, this is a clean install of steam from about 1 month ago.

^Ben said:
I have never seen "one time validation" all i've seen is internet connection required under the minimum requirements.

Also i've never actually checked save my setttings, this is a clean install of steam from about 1 month ago.

Arg....the whole point of Offline mode is that you don't NEED the net to use it! therefore...."OFFLINE" mode. So, any logical person would hope that you would never need to get ONLINE to use OFFLINE mode - under any circumstances - after the online validation when installing the game, which is what the system requirements mean by internet required....go ask anybody who knows what they are talking about.

It also has CPU required under minimum requirements what does that mean? Does it mean that I can take it out once i've used it once?

Okay,
you people who do not understand what we are talking about in here, even after reading through these endless explanations, may I recommend that you quit reading these forums and instead try and find someone in real life who knows as much as we who are trying to explain things to you and have these real life persons explain it to you themselves instead.

Hopefully they can show you examples on their computers and maybe you'll see that you're just ignorant and need to take your sticks out of your asses. There's nothing wrong with steam concerning offline mode.

Regards
Dead-Inside

Back