Half Life Or Half Life 2? Which Is Better?

Which is better?

• Total voters
giant384 said:
y compare both are great

Because...unlike Halo 2 (or any other game for that matter), there will be little or no flaming as this is a HL2 website......

Half life. Sorry guys.

It took me longer to complete, and I'm still playing it a bit today.

I haven't touched HL2, other than to show my m8s, in weeks.

Someone just learned how to copy-and-paste, isn't that cute!

burner69 said:
Half life. Sorry guys.

It took me longer to complete, and I'm still playing it a bit today.

I haven't touched HL2, other than to show my m8s, in weeks.

why be sorry? its perfectly OK. Thats why this thread exists.

It's hard to decide. I can't yet. I've had so many fond memories and thos "good ol' times" with Half Life. I'll probably get that also with Half Life 2. But as of now, Half Life = Half Life 2.

I got into Half-Life 2 a lot more. Half-Life was great and was a great starting point but I feel HL2 followed through on the mark.
oldmanwhee! said:
**** You ******
Get up on the wrong side of bed today?

damn right.

But hey, lets get on topic again...

WHy is it exactly you like your choice?

I choose HL2 because it had more story to it. At least a bettr one

HL2 has:
Better music
More outdoor areas
Scarier areas
More story
More voice acting

:thumbs:

oldmanwhee! said:
DAKGakirgajehga;r

DISCLAIMER: I never posted that.

P.S i dont have a sister.

P.S You will get banend and we know your IP and your ISP and the admins can fry you.

Oh and yeah, HL2 does have more outdoor areas which is pretty sweet.

tough choice... but I think it's HL2

oldmanasswipekiddienumbnut said:
DAKGakirgajehga;r

someone is going to be banned
in

Half-Life.

When i first played and came up against the marines, it was unlike anything done before in a video game ever.....mainly...because it was...unlike...anything done before....in a video game....ever.......I'll be quiet now

Oh just a heads up:

PLease dont base your choice on looks

Anyway, to drag this back on topic: I absolutely love the gravity gun. The physics in HL2 are amazing and are alone worth the $55 I shelled out.

But I was *much* more satisfied with the atmosphere in half-life classic. It just had something magical about it, something that the sequel doesn't quite capture.

Don't get me wrong, there are parts in HL2 (cue the Tenemets, Citadel, Nova Prospekt, and warzone City17) that are absolutely amazing when it comes to atmosphere, but HL1's atmosphere just seemed to draw me in more than HL2's did.

Eh, they're both amazing games.

I love BOTH. The first time a headcrab attacked in HL almost made me pi$$ my pants! HL2 is great because of all the things you can do that you couldn't in HL. Can't choose; that's whey they're both on my machine, played about equally. I'm halfway thru HL2 for the second time, still finding new things. When I play HL, it remonds me that it was THE PC game that took me away from consoles. I'll always own both! :)

HALF LIFE 1 is better. Just remember the combat with the special forces, the killer-ladies, the puzzles. HL2 is good, especially the physics, but valve a little bit failed to capitalize on their achievement.
The combat in HL2 is too easy, no challenging situations. Only Bridge is a little close to original halfLife.

Open areas in HL2 are good, but THEY ARE EMPTY, almost no enemies to kill.

Now imagine the following. Half Life and halfLife2 on the same engine and same possibilities. Which one wins?

HL1 by a long way, there was a strange feeling in the air when playing HL1 for the first time.

Now I know how games are made and what goes on behind the scenes. Playing HL2 is like watching a magic show but you know how the magician did all the tricks.

I haven't even finished HL1 after about 100 attempts, even after owning it since 1998 and playing it on my P120. I finished HL2 within 2 days... There were loads more memorable moments in HL1: the monorail ride, the 3 headed beast thing, the experiment going wrong, those crazy speedy ninjas, and beating up scientists/barneys and stealing their handgun.

The whole intro to the game was way better in HL1. The train ride in HL2 is a pitiful 60 seconds long or something, they could've made it longer and really showed off the engine. Who cares if it's would be similar to HL1.

I have to vote Half-Life.

I'm a sucker for sreaming scientists with headcrabs.
Oh yea...also, the BMRF was stunning.
Downpoint: that hidious planet.

Are you talking about technical or artistic merit?

Artistic substance (plot, atmosphere, overall feeling): Half-Life

Technical merit (modability, graphics, visual quality): Half-Life 2

No one jump on me :p but I have to be honest and say I enjoyed HL1 more. I think it's close, though.

HL1 seemed more thought out and flowed better for me, whereas HL2 seemed too formulaic: Meet people, get plot, follow some route which is dangerous, battle, Meet people, get plot, follow some route which is dangerous, battle, etc... It became very predictable when things were going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, HL2 beats HL1 in many areas, but I think as a whole package, HL1 did it first and had more to offer.

Half Life was good at the time but Half Life 2 has obviously improved the formula with years worth of innovations and additions.

Half-life. More revoltionary and had better A.I. for it's time - which IMO is more important.

StainlessJ-FPGA said:
What was revolutionary about it?

The immersive feel that I think was completely lost in HL2. HL1 gets my vote. HL2 left me with no great memories of great tension, excitement, or amazement.

HL1 was an experience

HL2 was a game.

AmishSlayer said:
The immersive feel that I think was completely lost in HL2. HL1 gets my vote. HL2 left me with no great memories of great tension, excitement, or amazement.

HL1 was an experience

HL2 was a game.

I tried HL1 once, and the only feeling I got was boredom. But I guess those feelings will be different from one person to the next. I think HL2 is great. I may only play it through once, but few single player games do I play through twice...

Back