Half Life source Early Release

Locust

Spy
Reaction score
Don't you guys think they should release Half Life source early. I mean how many of you are going to go back and play or play it first. I will be so focused on half life 2 that I will care less about it. I think it would be wise for vALVE to release it early so that more people will play it. So what do you guys think?

I think it is a good idea. I mean it would even make more ppl buy it off steam.

same, i was thinking of this too.
it seems logical, even if its only like a week before, i just want to try it before i play hl2

no... because they wan't half life 2 to come out so you get to see all the physics n shizzle they do first. and the long awaited crap. yeah... and... yeah... etc. etc......

heh i'm gonna play hl:source before i play hl2 too... good day! cheers!

Maybe Next week, Hl Source will come, out giving me enough time to complete b4 HL2 :D

Yes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that to not do so would be complete idiocy. For one, it would seal the deal with me getting a silver package, because I would like to replay HL1 in all its glory before starting HL2. It would be a major incentive to buy off of steam.

Ive already got Silver, and dont see why HL Source isnt out too, I mean Im sure VU dont have control over it

Narcolepsy said:
Yes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that to not do so would be complete idiocy. For one, it would seal the deal with me getting a silver package, because I would like to replay HL1 in all its glory before starting HL2. It would be a major incentive to buy off of steam.

Same for me. I actaully never played the first one, so i would really like to play it before hl2, and as before as possible.

Half-life is awesome even without modern-day graphics. I played it for the first time a year ago when I got my ATI voucher and I was more immersed in HL than I've been in more recent games with better gfx.

I would buy the silver package right now if they released it.

Hmm yeah , i want to play it before HL2 aswell but i'm not sure i could resist the temptations lol

Dowie said:
Ive already got Silver, and dont see why HL Source isnt out too, I mean Im sure VU dont have control over it

I think they just might have control, since it is under the half life universe and PERHAPS they can't release anything under that until vu releases hl2. Just speculation

But so is CS Source, its part of HL and in VU standard package, it doesnt really make sense

Maybe its not out, cus ITS NOT FINSHED!

*gasp*

The wabble dude @ the DOD forums said DOD source and Half Life Source have along way togo and that theyre finishing up on CSS first.

I would much rather play Half-Life: Source first and then play Half-Life 2. However one of the things that has been bugging are the models/textures being used in Half-Life: Source. Some of the screenshots look really stupid in the fact that they have the HL2 Scientists or what not, but then the same Half-Life maps or whatnot. Is that what the finished version will be like?

Alzxul said:
Some of the screenshots look really stupid in the fact that they have the HL2 Scientists or what not, but then the same Half-Life maps or whatnot. Is that what the finished version will be like?
The models in HL:S are from Blue Shift, not HL2.

I could have sworn I saw a Half-Life: Source screenshot, with two HL2 scientist models, one of which was a HL2 Dr. Kleiner model.

Alzxul said:
I could have sworn I saw a Half-Life: Source screenshot, with two HL2 scientist models, one of which was a HL2 Dr. Kleiner model.

Sigh.. maybe I should write a FAQ or something.. Back when HL2 was leaked, some guy figured out how to get the original Half-Life to run under the Source engine. He replaced ALL teh scientists with the Hl2 kliener model (Not just the one's that look like Kliener). The image you saw is more than likely from the leak, since Valve has said they aren't using the HL2 models in HL: Source.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

LAYP said:
I think they just might have control, since it is under the half life universe and PERHAPS they can't release anything under that until vu releases hl2. Just speculation

Then why is CS:S out?

LOL, HL source is in RC Stage, IE finished! but awaiting approval from the evil French Vivendi

It's probably not out because its not done yet. It would take a decent amount of time to redo all that stuff, it was a pretty long fps game.

UndeadScottsman said:
Sigh.. maybe I should write a FAQ or something.. Back when HL2 was leaked, some guy figured out how to get the original Half-Life to run under the Source engine. He replaced ALL teh scientists with the Hl2 kliener model (Not just the one's that look like Kliener). The image you saw is more than likely from the leak, since Valve has said they aren't using the HL2 models in HL: Source.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Do you believe that?

OH I suppose the CSS leak with it too was just something the hacker threw together too? Get a clue.

I'm not too informed when it comes to HL:S. Will it use the old models together with the old AI or will they use the new AI system? Seems pretty likely.

Well at the moment I still don't have a clue what the correct information is. It seems rather silly to use the old models and then only have Source features like the water stuff and light sources, but hopefully in an update or a mod it will be a total conversion.

Alzxul: Good game btw :) I think I've heard that they are using old models with new textures. Like the HD Pack from Blue-Shift.

dimalife said:
Same for me. I actaully never played the first one, so i would really like to play it before hl2, and as before as possible.

If you have HL:S you will have HL too, so you can play that.

I would agree with an earlier post. They will let you play HL2 first so you get all the new stuff with the new game, and then after that give you the old game with Source. They don't want to ruin the playing of HL2 with moments of "Oh... I've seen that already!".

Seems simple enough to me. :bounce:

I'm predicting HL:S unlocked over steam to go with HL2's gold announcement to help bridge the gap between gold and shelf.

They might not have finished porting it to the new engine anyway. But i do agree it would cause people to buy the Silver and Gold packages off steam. Also i believe that HL:Source also comes with the retail collecters edition, but i'm not 100% sure.

Back