Half Life success

I don't remember ANY hype to do with Half-Life. The first I saw of it was a review in PC Gamer (I think). They were a bit impressed.

I was under the impression that most magazines didn't think much of it until "Half-Life: Day one" was leaked.

the original half life was never leaked. it was a very un heard of game. untill the reviews came out not alot of people paid attention to it.

its what you call a quiet classic. it just evolved .. I have the original PC Gamer UK magazine with the half life review in :) it got about 95% i think

Half-Life: Day One was leaked, but that's nothing compared to the Half-Life 2 leak.

It's more like the Doom 3 leak, (ie, a company having a copy of it and it's released)

So who got a hold of the HL1 leak? how 'professional' was it? I never played it myself, but it seems like it got around a lot.

Could someone give me a quick rundown on what happened with the HL1 leak?

Moejoe said:
So who got a hold of the HL1 leak? how 'professional' was it? I never played it myself, but it seems like it got around a lot.

Could someone give me a quick rundown on what happened with the HL1 leak?

Well, I had a copy of it that came with my dad's graphics card. It was just the first part of the game up until half way through "We've got Hostiles".

It was a finished product. It was intended to be released with graphic cards and suchlike.

Feath said:
It was a finished product. It was intended to be released with graphic cards and suchlike.

Ohhhhh...From what i read through this and other forums, which isn't a whole lot, it seemed like HL: day one was some kinda leak, only smaller in scale than the HL2 leak. But okay, i get it now. It was actually a real legal demo.

The only illegal part must have been that it was meant only to be distributed as a demo disc packaged with graphics cards, and not D/L'ed...right?

Moejoe said:
Ohhhhh...From what i read through this and other forums, which isn't a whole lot, it seemed like HL: day one was some kinda leak, only smaller in scale than the HL2 leak. But okay, i get it now. It was actually a real legal demo.

The only illegal part must have been that it was meant only to be distributed as a demo disc packaged with graphics cards, and not D/L'ed...right?

Yeah. that's right.

Target used to sell Day One as a standalone... They claimed the perk was you got TFC. *laughs*

I first saw/heard about HL in my PCGamer mag. Back then I was using dial up with a 14.4 modem and almost never used the Internet. So all my gaming news came from mags.

The funny thing is, when I installed HL I was shocked (almost angered) that it took over 400MB of disk space. :LOL: I couldnt believe that any game would take that much disk space.

Same thing happened with Duke Nukem 3D (32MB).

as far as i remember, there was a discussion about wich game was the best fps, unreal or quake2, when HL came out, that discussion stopped :p

but i dont remember any hype being made around the game, games didnt get hyped back then, atleast not like they do now

i even recall some sites and mags saying that the game wouldn't be that great...i dont know where all those ppl on this forum got the idea that hl was expected to be successfull, even valve didnt expect it to be that successfull

Unreal And Half-Life both games was very good at that time :) ..Unreal was kind of larger

Aah its nice to reminisce....

There was a huge amount of hype around for Half-Life before it came out. I can remember it quite well, as I was working in a PC gamestore. We all got Half-Life t-shirts to wear in the store (still got mine :) ) and magazines were right into it in their preview sections.

If anyone here remembers the old version of www.voodooextreme.com then they will remember that it was well promoted there, as well as at Blue's site, the Shugashack, and Redwood's. I used to download the mini-vids that showed off 10 seconds of gameplay, and I thought it was awesome. Then Day One hit the net, and although it wasn't meant to be a freebie, it was probably the best form of publicity Valve could have asked for.

I WISH I could relive the time I watched the train ride scene for the first time... maybe I will be able to in hl2.....

edit: My first post, been watching you b*tches gaggle on for months now, and I finally came out from the dark silence. Nice to meet you

denlife7 said:
Aah its nice to reminisce....

There was a huge amount of hype around for Half-Life before it came out. I can remember it quite well, as I was working in a PC gamestore. We all got Half-Life t-shirts to wear in the store (still got mine :) ) and magazines were right into it in their preview sections.

If anyone here remembers the old version of www.voodooextreme.com then they will remember that it was well promoted there, as well as at Blue's site, the Shugashack, and Redwood's. I used to download the mini-vids that showed off 10 seconds of gameplay, and I thought it was awesome. Then Day One hit the net, and although it wasn't meant to be a freebie, it was probably the best form of publicity Valve could have asked for.

I WISH I could relive the time I watched the train ride scene for the first time... maybe I will be able to in hl2.....

edit: My first post, been watching you b*tches gaggle on for months now, and I finally came out from the dark silence. Nice to meet you
i never saw any benelux, UK or western europe magazine talk about HL1 in that way....

ferd said:
i never saw any benelux, UK or western europe magazine talk about HL1 in that way....

Well, I am in Australia, and can remember mags here covering it.

denlife7 said:
Well, I am in Australia, and can remember mags here covering it.

yeah, so can I

i still got some of them with ads and previews. found em' the other day

Andy018 said:
the original half life was never leaked. it was a very un heard of game. untill the reviews came out not alot of people paid attention to it.

its what you call a quiet classic. it just evolved .. I have the original PC Gamer UK magazine with the half life review in :) it got about 95% i think
It got 96% and Half-Life was Game of The Month in PC Gamer.
It is "Best Game of All Time. At least PC Gamer said it is. Here in Finland Peli-magazine gave 91/100 to it. And so on..

I didn't ever even know that the "Half-Life: Day One" was leaked.. I just thought it's somekind of advertisement thing. That it works a little time (there was only few levels..) and you have buy the game. :LOL:

I remember when I first saw it for sale and thought it was one of the dumbest looking games ever. Mostly this was because I had heard almost nothing about it from the gaming comunity. Then I played it at a friend's house and beat my head against the wall for being so stupid.

Colonel Sanders said:
I remember when I first saw it for sale and thought it was one of the dumbest looking games ever. Mostly this was because I had heard almost nothing about it from the gaming comunity. Then I played it at a friend's house and beat my head against the wall for being so stupid.

Ok, I know this might be way way off topic but...

I felt the exact same way when I passed up renting Final Fantasy 3 (6 in japan) over a dozen times and then finally decided to try it. Started a revolution in the way I did my gaming until the present day. Was years ago.

Back