Half Life vs Half Life 2

Scunna

Reaction score
Will Half Life 2 be a bigger hit than Half Life, will it sell more coppies, have better modding potential and will it last longer (ie popular) than Half Life.

This is NOT A QUESTION ime asking for predictions and some banta (eh... a chat lol).

:p

Well that depends if it lives up to the hype... wait a minute... there is no hype... OMG that must have been Valves master plan all along; no hype = better reception.

I still think there is hype, (me for one) and HL2 will win back alot of fans with the upcoming E3.

I predict that as soon as E3 2004 comes around well be crying like babies - I want half life now! but according to a website with the build up too PC zones Half Life 2 preview, Half Life 2 will not be released till November 31 2004. PLZ DONT FALME ME!

Scunna said:
I predict that as soon as E3 2004 comes around well be crying like babies - I want half life now! but according to a website with the build up too PC zones Half Life 2 preview, Half Life 2 will not be released till November 31 2004. PLZ DONT FALME ME!
Ok I wan't FALME you.
I'l FLAME YOU MWHAHAHA!!!
HL2 IS COMING OUT SUMMER 2004!!!

I think if Valve wasn't close to finishing the game, they wouldn't have estimated this summer for a release date. Of course, this could all change at e3...

"Well, Well. Isn't This...Just Like Old Times?" - Gman

My opinian is Valve have a solid release date in there mind (too the day) and will release it then, if there is no problems. However they wont tell anyone cause thay cant afford another f****p if its delayed again, they would look stupid if it happended again after they promised a release date.

I hope /gamewise/ that hl2 will be better then hl1 but still have the hl1 feeling :p

if they can hit the gameplay just right this thing is going to be incredible, i will play it over and over finding the best bits to play around with the physics in, i may well explode when it is released because HL was such an experience and HL2 could just be so awesomely transporting and then some.

Now this is a real DUAL worth thinking about

Enough with the DOOM3 VS Hl2 and FC vs hl2

HALFLIFE vs HALFLIFE2 now that is something to think about

Nice thread.

what do i think on this matter? Well hmm that is so hard really. I mean Hl gave us something so new in a FPS shooter. it had one hell of a storyline, Gr8 start-end game.
Award best for like 3-4yrs!

will hl2 be the same.................................HELL YES! lol

But will it be better. This will have to wait till we get our sweaty, yet excited hands on this game.

Recently I've been thinking of Half Life 2 vs Counter-Strike. I wonder how successful it will be at dragging the 70-odd thousands players away, who have stuck with it despite the release of lots of new games.

If hl2 is going to be as revolutionary as hl, considering the current state of fps games, we are in for a real treat

dæmon said:
Recently I've been thinking of Half Life 2 vs Counter-Strike. I wonder how successful it will be at dragging the 70-odd thousands players away, who have stuck with it despite the release of lots of new games.

I would be willing to bet when CS comes out on the Source engine the majority of players will move over. With a minority staying true to the HL engine.

like me!! but i think i shall still change over, HL2 pleases me so much with its scalability function, if it can truly get decent fps without looking really shitty then i'll be happy and play it until i can afford an uber computer

Half-Life was one of the first game with a story so well integrated and that is in part why we loved it. It was a big innovation at the time. I might sound pessimistic, but I don't think HL2 can be as innovative, even if they do everything they did in HL1 but better. It just can't surprise us as the first one did, and lets not forget the first one came out of nowhere. But I still can't wait for it and I hope it will be one of the best games in the years to come.

Half life one will always be our special little game but half life two is bound to out do it due to the fact its one of the most awaited games ever.

:bounce:

I haven't read this thread AT ALL, but what I would like to say is that I don't really like these comparison threads. Especially since one game is now 6 years old and the other one isn't even out.

Ofcourse HL1 was a VERY good game for it's time. But now I have to say its SP is lacking alot compared to FarCry for example. So IMO you can't compare these games to eachother.

Eh.... sorry i didnt mean to upset anyone (cry, cry, cry).

look, the first half life, got so good that there so many mods based off that single engine

wbcheater said:
look, the first half life, got so good that there so many mods based off that single engine
Ok?

And unless HL2 is delayed anymore, it will have many mods as well.

half life the origional out lasted so many games in the realm of the use of there engine through mods or whatever so if i had to put a guess on half life 2 is probably going to top it without much effort at all due to the supreme technological advances in the Engine its self

dæmon said:
Are there new games that are actually better than CS in combining arcade-like action with teamplay, competition, realism (a little), quick-addictive gameplay, etc? I still play it once in a while (as well as Sensible Soccer) because I just like how 'tight' everything is in the game.

Anyways, I actually do see HL2 matching the innovation in the first (if what has come from Valve is accurate). Characters are becoming prominent roles in a more complex story. Use of AI and the 'scene' idea seems like the way you experience the game (not to mention your actions in it) can be more complex than in other games before. Weapon/environment/enemy design seem cooler than ever since they are really taking advantage of new technology. I'm pretty sure that FPS's have more potential than what we have reached so far (the bar set by HL1).

I think that HL1 will top HL2, I mean, just look at the numbers. HL2 had better have something in it that's never been done before, something crazy amazing that people didn't think was possible in realtime, or something that lets you do something crazy amazing .... or.... I mean come on, HL1 has sold how many millions?

FictiousWill said:
I think that HL1 will top HL2, I mean, just look at the numbers. HL2 had better have something in it that's never been done before, something crazy amazing that people didn't think was possible in realtime, or something that lets you do something crazy amazing .... or.... I mean come on, HL1 has sold how many millions?

VALVe made HL1 which was great, then VALVe said that HL2 will be 10 times better than HL1. Now, why on earth wouldn't you believe the developer itself who knows both of the games at their best? I think we don't have a clue what kind of gaming experience is upon us. Neither me who I have played the stolen build... In a year a lot of things might have changed in a better way, that's for sure.

"Colonel Custer's Revenge Part Deux" will own HL2 for graphics & gameplay!

Back