Half life

R

Relevance

Creative title eh?

I was wondering if it's necessary to play through the first Half-Life, I'm about to get The Orange Box, and I'm playing it to get the story, would not playing Half-Life effect that at all?

I played HL2 without first completing the original. It is still an absolutely amazing game, but you might not understand some things.

For the sake of continuity, it's always best to play through the prior games to get a grasp of the plot and game mechanics. I think if you played through HL1 before you play HL2 and it's episodes, it will make the game a different experience.

I've never completed HL1, and yet I understand it better than some. I did play through the beginning and end, though.

That question upsets me.
Can you understand empire strikes back without watching a new hope? No.
Can you understand the 4th harry potter book without reading the first 3? No.
Can you understand the two towers without watching the fellowship of the ring? No.

Although it might not be as good and all up to date on graphics and crap, it's still part of the story, and still a good part of the story. Play it.

played HL2 before i found out that i had HL1 XD
great game kicks ass

First off the original HL is still a great game and is dirt cheap now so I suggest you buy it. If you decide not to buy it I HIGHLY recommend you read the wikipage. But playing Half-Life 1 will definitely build your affinity for Gordon.

That question upsets me.
Can you understand the two towers without watching the fellowship of the ring? No.

Although it might not be as good and all up to date on graphics and crap, it's still part of the story, and still a good part of the story. Play it.

I played RE4, never played or watched RE in my entire life, made perfect sense. Just saying, you don't always need to experience the previous stuff to understand the newer stuff, I was just wondering if it'd really effect the game or not.

Just play the original first. Don't be a 'newfag'.

You can choose to play HL2 first,but playing the first one is recommended.
You won't understand some things,like who's Barney and about that beer he owes ya(LOL).Still,HL2 is enjoyable.

That question upsets me.

QFT! Setting you wont get the story a side, you should play HL1 just because its an awesome game!

Yeah you should play it just because its such a great game... also get the addons aswell... so u can be like every1 else and shout "WHAT BOUT SHEPARD!" at people on forums.

I played it once half arsedly at a mates house once and then played the Half Life source through a small part of the beginning before I got bored and went looking for a mod that actually brought the graphics up to date (sorry, I just didn't have that nostalgia to get me through the really bad graphics).

Still, I read up on it, so I know most of what H1 was about and cant say I felt cheated out of something when playing HL2. If it wasn't for HL2 I wouldn't even give a toss for HL1.

Sorry lads, I am purely a HL2 player, I won't even be touching HL1 material until the Black Mesa mod is complete.

So no, you don't need to play HL1, but I guess it cant hurt, I assume you copy will come with Half Life Source?.

You could also just read up on the plot and story of the first half life like a back story blurb if you want. At best all you need is a passing understanding of the history prior to HL2 if your that bothered.

I actually find HL1's graphics to be really really good. I always rate graphics on how well they portray things and how easily it is for you to understand what you're seeing, and if it's crisp and not blurry. I still think HL1 has good graphics, better then some of the media I've seen for Black Mesa. Quite franky the screenshot of the zombie I saw made it look like it was made of plastic and the tentacles of the bullsquid looked ugly and weird.

I played it once half arsedly at a mates house once and then played the Half Life source through a small part of the beginning before I got bored and went looking for a mod that actually brought the graphics up to date (sorry, I just didn't have that nostalgia to get me through the really bad graphics).

Still, I read up on it, so I know most of what H1 was about and cant say I felt cheated out of something when playing HL2. If it wasn't for HL2 I wouldn't even give a toss for HL1.

Sorry lads, I am purely a HL2 player, I won't even be touching HL1 material until the Black Mesa mod is complete.

So no, you don't need to play HL1, but I guess it cant hurt, I assume you copy will come with Half Life Source?.

You could also just read up on the plot and story of the first half life like a back story blurb if you want. At best all you need is a passing understanding of the history prior to HL2 if your that bothered.

Hell no. That's like reading the Spark notes to 1984 instead of the actual book and then saying you truely understand the book, it's not the same, you don't get the full story, atmospheric build up, and understanding.

Hell no. That's like reading the Spark notes to 1984 instead of the actual book and then saying you truely understand the book, it's not the same, you don't get the full story, atmospheric build up, and understanding.

More like saying you actually understand any 'great' book, ever. Because you don't.

Back