HalfLife 2 on Windows XP X64 Edition RUNS GREAT!!!

MajorPayne

Reaction score
I don't know how many others have tried, but this weekend, I installed Half Life 2 on my Windows XP X64 OS (second drive/dual boot installation, cause lots still does not work in X64). It runs DAMN GOOD!!! Load times are very fast, framerates are 10-20 fps over what I got before, and no stutter at all here (only a small amount on my regular XP installation). Nice to see the game scales well (or the O/S manages it well, either way), and is ready to go in a next gen version of windows. How many of you out there have tried this?? The biggest problem in X64 is drivers, and so hardware is very important to this. I have an AMD 64FX 53 on an MSI board, running Dual 120GB HDD's in RaidO, with 2GB of 400MHZ RAM, an Audigy2 soundcard, and an ATI 9600XT video card, so I am one of the lucky few with ALL the drivers in place. Anyone else had such luck?

Yea i know what you mean, Ive been running xp 64 for a while and it runs awxome!

the load times are onmly about ten seconds!

What's with the videocard?

MajorPayne said:
I don't know how many others have tried, but this weekend, I installed Half Life 2 on my Windows XP X64 OS (second drive/dual boot installation, cause lots still does not work in X64). It runs DAMN GOOD!!! Load times are very fast, framerates are 10-20 fps over what I got before, and no stutter at all here (only a small amount on my regular XP installation). Nice to see the game scales well (or the O/S manages it well, either way), and is ready to go in a next gen version of windows. How many of you out there have tried this?? The biggest problem in X64 is drivers, and so hardware is very important to this. I have an AMD 64FX 53 on an MSI board, running Dual 120GB HDD's in RaidO, with 2GB of 400MHZ RAM, an Audigy2 soundcard, and an ATI 9600XT video card, so I am one of the lucky few with ALL the drivers in place. Anyone else had such luck?
Oh you can bet your life someone will post and whine that it runs like shit for them on the same spec..

Infact MajorPayne, I believe you met him earlier, the elephant guy ;)

i'm getting a amd athlon64 3200+ winchester next friday cant wait to test the baby out :)

Through the microsoft website..they're giving away legit 365day betas

How does the game run better? Wouldn't it need to be optimized for 64 bit mode? When I read the Microsoft FAQ, it said that users would experience better game performance on the normal 32 bit OS, 'cause it hardly any games are optimized for 64bit yet.

pr0nking said:
Through the microsoft website..they're giving away legit 365day betas

free full version is coming next feb 05 :)

for every xp pro-home edition owner, can upgrade to 64 without paying any money. nice Microsoft

What? When did Microsoft start giving out free stuff?

SixThree said:
What's with the videocard?

Did you mean my card?

It is right now, the only lag point on my system, and it was the alst thing to be upgraded, but I ran out of money (wife and kiddo have to come before the computer).

nbk said:
What? When did Microsoft start giving out free stuff?

It is not free to anyone, just to those who have XP legitimately, and want Xp x-64 edition. Owners of other OS's will have to pay to get it tho.

The Dark Elf said:
Oh you can bet your life someone will post and whine that it runs like shit for them on the same spec..

Infact MajorPayne, I believe you met him earlier, the elephant guy ;)

Yeah, I was mostly just curious, because I expected problems, and it works so DAMN good! Beta OS, Beta Drivers, 32 bit game on a 64 bit OS -- it doesn't get much more seat of the pants than that!

And to the guy who asked if the game MUST be optimized for 64-bit -- no it does not, Xp X64 compensates for 32-bit software, but this works only in some cases -- just ask those who tried to run Doom3 in X64 initially -- they had to make thier own patch just to get it installed!!

That's cool! Like TDE said though, someone's going to run it on the same thing and whine incessantly WHY DOESNT IT WORK OMFG IM GOING TO SUE VALVE!!!!

MajorPayne said:
Did you mean my card?

It is right now, the only lag point on my system, and it was the alst thing to be upgraded, but I ran out of money (wife and kiddo have to come before the computer).

Why didn't you just buy a regular Athlon 64 and use the money you saved to get a better graphics card? Would've ended up with an overall faster machine for probably less money...

just my thoughts.

How do you find out if your Pentium thing supports EM64T support?
Is the frame rate higher in Cs Source too?

Langues: If your processor is an Athlon 64 or Athlon 64-FX processor (or an opteron, i suppose) using socket 940, 939, or 754, then you have a 64-bit ready comp.

Or if you have an Apple G5 PowerMac or G5 iMac.

Easiest way to check is to dismantle your computer, remove the processor, and count the number of pins on the bottom of the chip by hand. Don't lose count!

Just kidding, don't take your computer apart. If you don't know that you have a 64-bit machine, then you probably don't.

To check easily, right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties."

You will see a general explaination of your processor and your RAM and what OS you're running. The processor will say "celeron" or "Pentium 4" or "Athlon XP" or "sempron" or "Athlon 64" or something.

Unless it's Opteron, Athlon 64 or Athlon 64-FX, then you won't be getting Windows 64-bit to run on that machine.

Define Legit version of Pro...Do you mean not downloaded?...how will they know? will it be like SP2?

I do not have a stolen version of Windows XP Pro...I Have a legit copy

No, you will get a CD/DVD, either by going to an official supplier and handing over your old XP CD or sending it back to M$ for exchange ;)

Heh, will have to install it on the Dual Opteron tonight and see what explodes when it sees XP 64 as the OS on the 2nd boot partition :(

Wow, your video card is really killing your fps.

I use a ti 4400 128, on a amd-64-3000, 1gig ram audigy 2 za, and I get 60+ frames at all times :-/.

But I havent tried the 64 bit windows yet no. To much trouble without the support.

And yes, the money you put into ram, and that fx chip proc sexor, you should have gotten a x800 or something.

NachoMan said:
Why didn't you just buy a regular Athlon 64 and use the money you saved to get a better graphics card? Would've ended up with an overall faster machine for probably less money...

just my thoughts.

I agree, you could have gotten the 3500+ and saved like $700 :rolleyes:

But Ley he is getting better graphic quality than you. You have Dx8. He has Dx9 :).

you have dual boot on ur 2nd hard drive and they are in raid 0? Doesnt raid 0 mean that they split teh data on each drive, functionaing as one with doubles teh speed? So how did you install it on one?

Ah, my 4200 is a tad slow on XP 64 :( 30-50 FPS 1024*768 XP 32 I get around 80 :)

Langues said:
How do you find out if your Pentium thing supports EM64T support?
Is the frame rate higher in Cs Source too?
Pentiums do not yet support EM64T.

Yo, post the link, I want the new x64, any diference compared to the 32 MB ? My teacher told me once the diference, but I forgot...

i think the processor runs 64 bits of instructions per clock cycle as opposed to 32. if that's even what you're asking for.

MajorPayne said:
It is not free to anyone, just to those who have XP legitimately, and want Xp x-64 edition. Owners of other OS's will have to pay to get it tho.

hmm...can u post a link to this claim please?
i do own a legit copy of XP so i am a bit curious..

The new Xeons will have 64 Bits, new revision Prescotts too very soon ;)

@ threadstarter, thats quite odd that you're noticing a 10-20 fps increase. With that setup you should be 100% gfx card bound.

Back