Halflife 2 Performance Revealed

And why would they give the benchmark to the site early, also very unlike valve. Its all a lie.

Its only a few weeks till release, that about the time they said they would pass out the bench.
And that site isn't known for bull****ing people.

As for the DX9 performance of the 5200 and 5600 series, its not that they are mocking it, its that the lower end FX cards really do very poorly in DX9 shader operations.

yep anandtech is one of the few sites out there that still is trust worthy :cheers:

Originally posted by Shockwave
The FX line isnt based on DX9 if i am correct, they are based on DX8.

Thats a negative sir, the FX line is DX 9 hardware

It has been my intention for a while, after deciding I'd have a new card for the future games that I'd get an ATI after realising that all the FX series are underperforming and over priced.

Originally posted by Shockwave
The FX line isnt based on DX9 if i am correct, they are based on DX8.

If you have a 5200 in no way possible should you even think that you will get decent framerates. A geforce 3 ti500 beats out a 5200, the 5200 cant even beat out the ti4200.

Theres a big debate on that, there was some evidence that they aren't really DX9 compatible. Even though NV labels them that they are.

The FXs can run DX8 code quite well, but when it comes to DX9 operations......:borg:

Originally posted by Murray_H
Thats a negative sir, the FX line is DX 9 hardware

Albeit a pretty poor excuse for DX9 hardware.

Originally posted by SuperFat
Damn, I don't understand why they just can't get better support for nvidia cards, I mean I own one and I understand ati makes a better card, and I just got unlucky in which one I chose, but still I'm sure at least 50% of gamers own nvidia cards, this could seriously lose some sales for hl2? I mean if people realize this and in fact don't buy hl2, based on this review written about nvidia cards, what's going to happen to all the people who own nvidia cards when hl2 is released?

they're all going to bitch and complain, just like everyone is bitching and complaining about steam.

its been known for quite awhile that ati's radeon 9x00 series is superior, theres tons of info all over the web, people should research before buying, im sure ati has a product to match all of nvidias price points as well, so price shouldnt be an excuse.

i also expect hardocp.com to have benchmarks posted at midnight on the 11th as well :)

Originally posted by trantjd
I've been a very long-time reader of Anandtech and I have found them to be one of the most professional sites around. Go back and read some of their reviews and you'll see what I mean. They are a great site and are definitely a likely candidate for Valve to approach for the first benchmark articles.

agreed.

i would probably not believe this info if it came from some second rate site, but I have a lot of respect for Anandtech. I would bet that Anandtech have the benchmarking tool and that all of the info they have presented is correct.

everyone has known for a long time now that ATI cards are MUCH better at running DX9 apps (especially pixel shader 2.0). It doesn't really come as any surprise that the ATI cards will run HL2 better than NVIDIA offerings (gabe himself said as much on a number of occasions)

the best news IMO is that it is likely the benchmarking tool is out and the actual game can't be too far off (30th perhaps??)

Well if you guys say its reputable, then I belive! I have a radeon anyway!

I just never heard of the site.

Originally posted by manny_c44

Hardcore enthusiast site, have you heard of Beyond3d either?

Neither one is really mainstream.

anandtech really doesnt bull sh*t, if they say so i believe them.

I suggest you start reading them then, their CPU reviews are great and very in depth and their Vid Card reviews are awesome, very un-biased and they cover all aspects of performance very well (IQ anyone?) and explain how they come to their conclusions in great depth!

Anyways, they're a good site and this little commercial is now over!:cheese:

lol if this is true then valve just completely owned nvidia, ill be surprised if they continue to host for steam :)

Originally posted by fudnick
lol if this is true then valve just completely owned nvidia, ill be surprised if they continue to host for steam :)

Hehe, but it's not Valves fault that NVidia did a piss-poor job in developing their latest cards for the future! Hopefully NVidia is man enough to admit their screw up and they'll just come back fighting harder next time!

Ok..I better not hear "Nvidia killed their servers for steam today, thats the reason for the delay". Just trying to kill it before someone says it.

- the Radeon 9600 Pro performs very well - it is a good competitor of the 5900 ultra;

No such thing as "9800 Pro Vs 5900 Ultra" now, it's now "9600 Pro Vs 5900 Ultra".

That's a rape.

:LOL:

Valve have done nothing but support nvidia IMO

nvidia have no one but themselves to blame for the poor DX9 performance of their cards.

Valve have obviously taken steps to help nvidia by implementing a seperate codepath specifically for nvidia cards. ATI on the other hand just made really good DX9 cards so they worked flawlessly on the standard DX9 codepath

Originally posted by Jagermeister
- the Radeon 9600 Pro performs very well - it is a good competitor of the 5900 ultra;

No such thing as "9800 Pro Vs 5900 Ultra" now, it's now "9600 Pro Vs 5900 Ultra".

That's a rape.

ROFL

classic

I post a topic and an hour later there's 7, SEVEN, pages of crap! There needs to be a serious beef-up in moderation. No offense..

Originally posted by ViceGripX
I got a GeForce2 GTS. :dork:

Man I'm gonna get raped..;(

No you're not...Has everyone forgoten that HL2 is scalable? People, You cant run DX9 hardware so those features will be off, You'll see fine performance. You simply wont see all the fancy features that the top of the line cards will.

Originally posted by Jagermeister

That's a rape.

Quit posting this. Everyone read it, Posting it again and again is only going to start flame wars.

Originally posted by $pazmatazz
I post a topic and an hour later there's 7, SEVEN, pages of crap! There needs to be a serious beef-up in moderation. No offense..
No, most of the posts aren't crap posts. There's just too many members and so little time. :D

conspiracy theorists chill out.

I trust anandtech on this issue, because the first comparisons they did between fx and radeon showed fx beating the radeon in everything (image quality being a subjective). That was on Doom3 and other.

However, this is their first DX9 test, and the radeon perfoming better than the fx is like the earlier testing done with Tomb Raider AOD which is also DX9.

So it appears that while the FX packs more punch, it does not handle DX9 nearly as well.

I currently own a Geforce 3 and just bought a 9800 pro. When I buy my next card in 2 or so years, I will buy whichever is best then. I assure you nVidia is very aware of whatever problems they have (and will be when their quarterly earnings comes in), and will address the problem asap. Hopefully the next line of cards will be the top quality cards we have all come to expect from nVidia.

Competition is good.

Anyone wanna come out with anymore consipracy theories? I bet that because ATI paid Valve to say their card was the best, that Valve has had to pay a little bit to Anandtech to back them up. It's obvious. How can nvidia be crap? It's all a big big big big /me dies conspiracy.

Originally posted by Melon Farmer
Valve have done nothing but support nvidia IMO

nvidia have no one but themselves to blame for the poor DX9 performance of their cards.

Valve have obviously taken steps to help nvidia by implementing a seperate codepath specifically for nvidia cards. ATI on the other hand just made really good DX9 cards so they worked flawlessly on the standard DX9 codepath

That was the entire point of the R300 line, built up from scratch with the idea of DX9 performance and usage in mind.

Couple years later, that idea pays off:cool:

Originally posted by $pazmatazz

What did you expect??? One person to say "cool" and that would be it? Of course we're gonna talk about it!

It makes sense that Valve would release the benchmark software a little earlier to reputable sites before releasing it to the public. This gives the sites in question time to run the software through its paces and get an article up in time for the public release. That's actually excellent marketing.

Originally posted by Tork
the Radeon 9600 Pro performs very well - it is a good competitor of the 5900 ultra;
:cheese:

roofle!!!!111oneone good cuz i gots da 9700pro

Originally posted by Feath
It's not like it won't run on NVidia cards. Just it won't run as well.

You see right now you are going through the denial stage. But it can help...keep telling yourself it will be ok lol

Originally posted by d8cam
You see right now you are going through the denial stage. But it can help...keep telling yourself it will be ok lol

I ordered an 9800 Pro (Plus a new computer) last week. I'm not a Nvidia fanboy or anything, I'm just saying it's not a huge deal.

I sure am glad I waited so long to upgrade my computer. It's all just a matter of which ATi to get: 9600, 9700 or 9800. Can someone tell me how much difference there is between 1024 and 512 ram, as far as gaming goes?

"- even with the special NV3x codepath, ATI is the clear performance leader under Half-Life 2 with the Radeon 9800 Pro hitting around 60 fps at 10x7"

Does 10x7 mean 1024 x 768 or something else.

And I have a feeling this is fake just from the "valve recommends people with FX5200 and FX5600 to run on DX-8 mode for playable Framerates."

First of all, this really just doesn't sound like Valve or any other self-respecting company trying to sell a product. They alienate a huge section of gamers by basically mocking the FX line. Either the site took the remark out of context or this is just a big fat fake.

And why would they give the benchmark to the site early, also very unlike valve. Its all a lie.

you must be an nvidia owner

Originally posted by Northwood83
D8, all you keep doing is slamming Nvidia owners. Knock it off.

While I wouldn't put it that bluntly, yea, keep it civil. They're having a real bad day.

Originally posted by Northwood83
D8, all you keep doing is slamming Nvidia owners. Knock it off.

No I don't slam anyone. Obviously a few people are scared that their investment won't do much and they are denying it...I know its wierd to bring psychology into all of this but its true. Anyway, if I did "slam" any of you, sorry.

more ram is ALWAYS better.. it makes everything run smoothly. Both in and out of game. RAM owns.

I wouldnt get more than 1 gb tho. I know newegg.com had Crucial 256 DDR ram for $30.. so $60 for another 512? Very good upgrade.

I use 1GB of ddr pc2700 ram and I haven't had any problems since.

Back