Halflife storyline

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i latched onto the gaming scene a bit late to play Halflife, now i am eagerly anticipating HL2, i am slightly bemused by the storyline, and the rolls of everyone.

I understand the portal breaking and the aliens from 'Xeon' or sumthin being on earth? And Gordon basically kills them, and tries to save himself from the human enemies also. But what happens after you kill the 'big mother alien' thingy? Where's the story been left off, and is Gman a good guy or bad?

Im quite confused and wondered if anyone here could fill me in where Halflife 1 finishes off, and where Halflife2 intends to pick up (if you know :p ) I'd appreciate it greatly if you could help me out, thanks in advance!

Well, after Gordon kills the Niniliath on Xen, he is offered a job by the Gman, and he accepts, and wakes up fifteen years later. It is not known whether the Gman is good or bad.

You might just want to search Google for "Half-Life Summary" or the like. You'll find some neat-o plot reviews. :thumbs:

Thanks alot guys, i think i know enough to be able to jump straight into HL2 when it gets here :)

The G-Man is the robotic godfather of all human kind. He survived the first nuclear war that charrred the earth and waited patiently for millions of years as humans reformed and progressed. Being the steward of humanity, he was the one who ended the black plague with his amazing skills in the covert adminstration and production of antibiotics and vaccines.

Now, as the alien threat puts all men in danger once again, the ancient replicant G-Man emerges from the shadows to lead Gordon on massive defensive to protect all earth.

Hectic, you should play Half Life. It's really cheap after five years and it's still an awesome game. It's much better to play through it than to read some summary on a website.

Just my two cents.

Better yet, just buy the Collectors Edition (if Half Life : Source comes only in CE) and you'll have killed 2 birds with one stone, plus HL:S will look so much better. Thats what I'm gonna do, even though I have Half-Life. I haven't played it in like 3 years. I'm just gonna wait and play through the WHOLE thing from the beginning of Half Life: Source to the end of Half-Life 2.

I own Halflife:Generations lol, but i only have it for CS really, even though i can get it free, well i just liked that package. But i never played my halflife, ive just never had the time. I appreciate your help though.

Hectic Glenn, for even more on the G-Man, and to further advance the storyline, concider playing Opposing Force, and maybe even Blue Shift. Since you have Half-Life Generations, you should already own all of the games mentioned. Opposing Force is excellent, Blue Shift is fun, but is incredibly short (I beat it in maybe 2 hours on my first try). The G-Man unlocks much more details in Opp Force, but not much in Blue Shift.

Hectic Glenn said:
But what happens after you kill the 'big mother alien' thingy? Where's the story been left off, and is Gman a good guy or bad?

Exactly... :)

Guess why they're releasing HL2. :thumbs:

i had way more fun in half life a few months ago than i did in far cry. play it man, if you dont youre missing out on one of the best games of all time.

If you haven't been to Black Mesa, you haven't lived.

nimh said:
i had way more fun in half life a few months ago than i did in far cry. play it man, if you dont youre missing out on one of the best games of all time.

If you haven't been to Black Mesa, you haven't lived.
Ditto. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Black Mesa is a mean bitch, it will chew you up and spit you out, just ask Gordon, Shepard and Barney :thumbs:

yeah, defenitely play half-life, look at it as a watered-down hl2. or hl2 but 5 years ago. now that is still good isn't it? not all the parts are great but the boring stuff gets forgotten real quick when you're trying to survive three marines on one side and an alien grunt on the other.

g-man offers a job to freeman, cause he think that freeman can do things better than the rest of the guys at black mesa.

there is a little piece of advice for new bees-"Try out HL before trying out HL2." It will give u an idea abt why hl is different from other FPS.How do you define HL????? Its a mix of - good in game sound,gameplay,smooth controls,scripted sequence, top-notch level designs and graphics.

HL has the most excellent game storyline of any FPS I have ever played. The fact that it advances the story without the use of cutscenes, rubbish 'mission briefings' or magic transportations between levels.

The atmosphere is amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Hectic Glenn said:
Im quite confused and wondered if anyone here could fill me in where Halflife 1 finishes off, and where Halflife2 intends to pick up (if you know :p ) I'd appreciate it greatly if you could help me out, thanks in advance!

so basically gordon is liek doing research n shit and then these alien guys come gordon is like shit shit who the **** is coming and then the government is like yeah well **** that and kills everyone and then gordon kills nihilanth and g-man says that ur now my biatch the end!

Back