Halo 2 versus Half Life 2?

Hmm real time lighting may look good, but what would it add to HL2? Sure for Doom 3 it would add a lot of atmosphere (probably, i don't know how it would play with/without it) but i'm not so certain that it would make HL2 that much better.

Realtime lighting may not add as much to HL2 as Doom 3, it just helps to create a more immersive element.

I'm sure you've played a FPS where you shot and broke a light bulb, yet the light source is still there. Its just a way to make a game seem more real than it really is.

I thought you were on about shadows + real time lighting......even perfect dark had the ability to shoot out lights and lose the light source, so i'm sure it will be in HL2.

Are you sure about Perfect Dark? I dont remember that. But I am sure that you cannot shoot all of the light sources in a map of Perfect Dark to make it perfectly dark. :) Thats what I think real-time lighting should be able to do.

I dont believe you need to have realtime lighting to have realtime shadows. You just have to be able to see the shadow move as you go from light source to light source. Anyways, I think HL2 has realtime shadows.

Who cares about real time lighting? All I know is that HL2 will be more FUN than Doom 3. Seen videos of both, read shaith for both, and I have come to the conclusion that HL2 will be more fun and Doom 3 will have a little bit better graphics. Done and Done :farmer:

blahblahblah said:
Are you sure about Perfect Dark? I dont remember that. But I am sure that you cannot shoot all of the light sources in a map of Perfect Dark to make it perfectly dark. :) Thats what I think real-time lighting should be able to do.
Yeah, PD had dynamic lighting, in every level you could shoot out nearly every light, though some were just indestructible.

blahblahblah said:
I dont believe you need to have realtime lighting to have realtime shadows. You just have to be able to see the shadow move as you go from light source to light source. Anyways, I think HL2 has realtime shadows.
True and true. There's no need to have dynamic lights for dynamic realtime shadows. And HL2 does have dynamic realtime shadows, however I believe each model can only have one dynamic shadow (can anyone confirm this?)

And in response to this:
blahblahblah said:
I am skeptical of Halo 2 because when does the X-Box hardware start to run out of gas? I mean look at Max Payne 2 for PS2, it was not meant to have physics and high detailed graphics. Yet Halo 2 is supposed to have everything that a gamer could want on DX 8 hardware and P3? I am a little bit skeptical right now, I dont think X-Box has the power to pull it all off without some tradeoffs.
Halo 2 looks amazing to me. Though Xbox does have low-end hardware by todays standards, it doesn't have an OS or background programs running simultaneously to the game, and Halo 2's game code is written for one specific set of hardware as opposed to hundreds of possible configurations. That basically means it runs Halo 2 like a PC with double the specs would (except for the video card perhaps). If you don't believe me, download the E3 video for Halo 2, its 9 minutes of in-game footage. It stutters in a few big-open areas but overall it looks pretty damn amazing.

Oooh now that is a damn good question....

I for one will be buying a new X-Box as soon as Halo 2 is released, but i think HL2 will pip it to the post...

skrip00 said:
im not comparing graphics or technical aspects, but im wondering, which game will be a favorite...

Half Life original was an awesome singleplayer game, with a great story, and so is Halo

i think Halo2 will be an awesome competitor to Half Life 2, even if it is only released on Xbox, which i hope its not, cuz that would be dumb of microsoft...

Half Life2 delay is pissing me off as is...

As much as i dislike all this hipe about HL2's having the "best graphics ever" - which is not quite so i may add. I dislike Halo ten times as much.

Back