Halo MMO cancelled

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
MMO?

hinterface1.jpg

Following the recent announcement that Microsoft-owned Age Of Empires creator Ensemble Studios would close after the completion of Halo Wars, Gamasutra has discovered that a now-canceled Halo MMO was in development at the studio, unearthing prototype UI and level screenshots of the Ensemble-developed project.

a million master chiefs?

"The character pane shows a health bar and 'mana' -- or Psion, as is referred to in this title... The upper right icons are for basic character functions. The one on the far left would most likely be inventory, represented by the outline of a man.

Moving right, I'd guess that's a 'talent tree' screen for customizing your character, most likely a powers menu (a brain to represent the Psion?), a titles or achievements screen represented by the trophy, and a support ticket system represented by the chat bubble icon.

From the choice of abilities, it's easy to surmise that that the game would have been some sort of melee/magic brawler. The upper bar has some similarities to the WoW UI modification Titan Panel - a favorite amongst players."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20153

Wow, I thought the screenshot was like a photoshopped picture from WoW or something, for humor. How can you make Halo into an MMO like that?

the location in that screenshot is called "Space Planet", no wonder the game was canned :LOL:

I bet the weapons would also follow a similar style, like SpaceGun, Laser Rifle, Superweapon.

yeah yeah I know the game was probably in a very early stage of development

Wow, I thought the screenshot was like a photoshopped picture from WoW or something, for humor. How can you make Halo into an MMO like that?

By enhancing the gameplay that was present in the original three games!

the location in that screenshot is called "Space Planet", no wonder the game was canned :LOL:

I bet the weapons would also follow a similar style, like SpaceGun, Laser Rifle, Superweapon.

yeah yeah I know the game was probably in a very early stage of development

dont forget

Laser Space Swords, Space Magic

hscreen1.jpg

Wow, I'd shut down a company too if they thought such an inane idea like that was actually good.

I remember hearing about the Halo MMO like 2 or 3 years ago.

Wow, I'd shut down a company too if they thought such an inane idea like that was actually good.

it's not over yet:

And with Microsoft's Phil Spencer recently mentioning: "There are more than two or three teams building Halo things right now", it could be that a Halo title with similarly expansive online options is now being tried at another studio. If so, there has been no public information about it to date.

Damn, that sucks. It looks interesting enough, I would have liked to see where they would have gone with it.

Oh woops!

Durrrrr, H@L0 1s 5tupid n00b sh17

amidoingitrite?

i disagree, i think it looks terrible and will stand by that opinion without any possibility of leniency.

Halo mmo no thanks i would rather go back and play planetside

A Halo MMO if done right could be good, if it was done like say, Planetside.

If they tried to make it like anything other than that type of game, it would suck.

It would be nice if that would have come to fruition so we could get all of the Halo kiddies in one place and then just unplug all of the servers. The project was rumored to be so realistic that if you character ceased to exist in the Halo MMO world, then you cease to exist IRL. Good times. Too bad some wise guy pulled the wrong plug (so to speak).

It would be nice if that would have come to fruition so we could get all of the Halo kiddies in one place and then just unplug all of the servers.

I'd prefer they fed cyanide through the inter-tubes thereby fixing the problem permanently

Hahah, their art assets made me laugh laudably.

I think it's just a mockup. Besides, World of Warcraft doesn't look much better than that. I like the vibe, though.

As much as I like Halo, an MMO? gtfo.

Although it would've been interesting to see where they were going with the gameplay. Like a few others said it actually could've been pretty cool if they were shooting for a planetside type of thing, but it doesn't look like it from those screens.

world of halo?
what will be the other projects?

halostar a karaoke game?

halo kart racing?

halo party?

haloflood,like nintendogs but whit the flood creatures?

Haha, that would be hilarious if Halo turned into the microsoft equivalent of Mario.

halo kart racing may not be a bad idea

after all the first game have some funky vehicle phisics

Apparently RTS is as far away as the Halo Universe can go.

Oh MMOs, will one of you ever intrigue me?

Lots of MMOs have intrigued me, but I've never had the time or the money. 15+ dollars a month seems exorbitant, especially if you plan on playing over long periods of time. I like Guild Wars' pay once plan but I don't know if it's right for me. :|

I just want to say that more Planetside-esque gaming would not be a bad thing.

You don't think that's the case already?

Well lets see, Halo has what? Three games released now, with two or three in development? Mario has around 15 games of his own and has appeared in over a hundred different games.

Yeah, I guess they're kinda close.

you wait. soon cortana will be kidnapped by the gravemind and kept in a castle where master chief will travel to rescue her only to find that she's being kept in another one.

Back