Halo MMO cancelled

Halo isn't Mario, it's Sonic. It's about Rings.

Though it doesn't say so on wikipedia, I thought the multiplayer component of Halo, back when it was a home computer game, was once supposed to be on an MMO scale? Or that it was even supposed to be an MMOFPS (which was a buzzword genre about that time, thinking of how much interest Dark Sector got for simply saying it was 'Unreal Tournament on a massive scale!').

Well lets see, Halo has what? Three games released now, with two or three in development? Mario has around 15 games of his own and has appeared in over a hundred different games.

Yeah, I guess they're kinda close.
That has anything to do with a mascot because?

Even if it did, the amount of games the characters have appeared in isn't a fair comparison. Mario came out in 1981. That's 27 years ago. So Nintendo has had 20 years head start, and Mario is already established as the most popular video game character in history.

Halo came in late 2001, only 7 years ago. In that 7 years, they have associated Halo with Microsoft games since. In fact, 3 games, a series of novels, Red Vs. Blue (the first big success of machinima), and several more Halo themed games in development isn't a bad start. :arms:

Halo [1] received a total of 48 awards and Microsoft ended up buying Bungie because of its success.

However, I personally don't think Halo makes a great mascot. What seems to work well is some kind of cartoon character, like Mickey for Disney, Bugs for Warner-Bros., Sonic for Sega.

Sony doesn't seem to have a clear mascot either. I think they tried to use Crash Bandicot, but that isn't even their property and it fizzled out of popularity anyway.

EDIT and I might add that Mario was Nintendo's first major success. As probably was Mickey for Disney and Sonic for SEGA. Now do you see how this compares to the Halo character for Xbox?

Kupoartist said:
I thought the multiplayer component of Halo, back when it was a home computer game, was once supposed to be on an MMO scale? Or that it was even supposed to be an MMOFPS

Bungie Studios stated an even earlier development build of Halo centered on real-time strategy and was "basically Myth in a sci-fi universe."

Guess what, there are actually plans to have a Guitar Hero MMO as well.

Guess what, there are actually plans to have a Guitar Hero MMO as well.
Since the entire point of Guitar Hero is to imitate a rockstars, and because most rockstars are arseholes, a Massive Multiplayer version will work extremely well.

I could see a GH MMO.
You start out as just a lonely asshole in a garage band, and you battle other bands(the multiplayer part) through the actual game to see who wins. The winner gets money and fame(or experience). You can use your money to buy new gear(+10% money gained, etc) or new guitars(more options in battles) and you eventually have massive concerts where you battle rock legends, like that other guy over there with the tier 5 epic 1337 guitar strings!

And that's just the start, think of downloadable heroine!
And rehab!

I'd buy it.

Everything is gonna turn into an MMO. Everyone wants to make the new crack.

Massively multiplayer online games I have enjoyed in the past. I played SEGA's Phantasy Star Online for a couple years. Then they started charging a monthly fee and I quit playing shortly after.

I just refuse to pay an online fee, or buy a game that will only work with a subscription.

I'll admit, it's pretty cool playing an RPG with other people. But I think that if any of these games were single player, they would bore me to tears.

Back